8 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 2:03 AM by user1175496 RSS

Customising Desktop Integration Suite

user1175496
      Hi All ,
      Is there any way where in we can change the way in which the DIS checks in the Email attachments ??
      To be more specific - can we have an option where in a user can select multiple attachments and check it in single shot ,but separate content ID's are created for each content checked in?
      Can any one provide pointers on achieving this..
      TIA
        • 1. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
          William Phelps
          Attachments can be separated from the email if the checkin occurs within Outlook. Under the Oracle UCM option in Outlook, under "Email Attachment Settings", select "separate attachments".

Dragging and dropping a .msg file into the WEI interface will not separate the attachments.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/doc.1111/e10624/c09_email.htm#DISUS362
          • 2. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
            user1175496
            William Phelps wrote:
            Attachments can be separated from the email if the checkin occurs within Outlook. Under the Oracle UCM option in Outlook, under "Email Attachment Settings", select "separate attachments".

Dragging and dropping a .msg file into the WEI interface will not separate the attachments.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21764_01/doc.1111/e10624/c09_email.htm#DISUS362
            Thanks William,
            But I am looking for something where in I have an Email with 4 attachments and I want to check in only 2 attachments ,So I want to display an interface where in a user has a check box against each document and he is able to select 2 documents and check it in content server without providing meta data information twice i.e same mete data info should be used for each document .
            or when the user right clicks on the email attachment he sees and option to check in the document in content server .
            TIA
            • 3. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
              William Phelps
              Attachments can be separated from the email if the checkin occurs within Outlook. Under the Oracle UCM option in Outlook, under "Email Attachment Settings", select "separate attachments"
              In the same dialog where you enable "separate attachments", instead of "separate attachments" click "ask". You will then are presented a dialog box where you can select which attachments to separate when checking in an email.
              • 4. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
                user1175496
                >
                Attachments can be separated from the email if the checkin occurs within Outlook. Under the Oracle UCM option in Outlook, under "Email Attachment Settings", select "separate attachments"
                >
                In the same dialog where you enable "separate attachments", instead of "separate attachments" click "ask". You will then are presented a dialog box where you can select which attachments to separate when checking in an email.
                Hi William,

I tried all the OOTB options.If I select the "Ask" option,the window pops up again for the user to enter the metadata. I want to suppress the multiple triggering of the checkin calls that are happening, which forces the user to enter metadata value for each attachment.The requirement is such that the user selects the multiple documents and the user enters the metadata values only once and all the documents are checked in with separate content ID's ,all other metadata values remaining same.
                • 5. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
                  William Phelps
                  Probably then, in order to get to where you want to be, the likely solution is to have the user save the attachments out of the email. Then you can just use the standard drag and drop function to pull the email and the detached attachments into WEI, so you can achieve the single metadata entry point. That may/may not be acceptable, depending on how much of the data retrieval functionality the email integration provides (like populating the to:,from:, subject:, etc data from the actual email in the metadata. This is lost in the WEI drag and drop.)

Sounds like a decent product enhancement request IMO. Just extending the attachments interface for email shouldn't be that hard.
                  • 6. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
                    user1175496
                    William Phelps wrote:
                    Probably then, in order to get to where you want to be, the likely solution is to have the user save the attachments out of the email. Then you can just use the standard drag and drop function to pull the email and the detached attachments into WEI, so you can achieve the single metadata entry point. That may/may not be acceptable, depending on how much of the data retrieval functionality the email integration provides (like populating the to:,from:, subject:, etc data from the actual email in the metadata. This is lost in the WEI drag and drop.)

Sounds like a decent product enhancement request IMO. Just extending the attachments interface for email shouldn't be that hard.
                    Thanks a ton William..

But the requiremnets are quite rigid.It will again be an overhead for the user to save the attchment and then use the drag drop feature.The client wants specifically saving from Email only.It seems it's all game of dll's and tweaking them seems to be a gigantic task.
                    • 7. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
                      William Phelps
                      I'm afraid I'm largely out of ideas. It sounds like you need an update to the product itself.

One more thing you may want to try is using the "Remember Last Metadata Entered" functionality within DIS. If you go into the Desktop Integration menu in Outlook (I'm using Outlook 2010 for the steps), go to the same place where you edited the attachment handing settings. Click on "Edit Server List". Select the server in question and click "View..." On the resulting screen, click "Options...". Check the "Remember Last Entered Metadata Fields" box, and select the fields you want to persist between the email and attachments.

You'd still have to click submit for each attachment, but it may work for the metadata entry issue. Your mileage may vary.
                      • 8. Re: Customising Desktop Integration Suite
                        user1175496
                        William Phelps wrote:
                        I'm afraid I'm largely out of ideas. It sounds like you need an update to the product itself.

One more thing you may want to try is using the "Remember Last Metadata Entered" functionality within DIS. If you go into the Desktop Integration menu in Outlook (I'm using Outlook 2010 for the steps), go to the same place where you edited the attachment handing settings. Click on "Edit Server List". Select the server in question and click "View..." On the resulting screen, click "Options...". Check the "Remember Last Entered Metadata Fields" box, and select the fields you want to persist between the email and attachments.

You'd still have to click submit for each attachment, but it may work for the metadata entry issue. Your mileage may vary.
                        Thanks Mate for the guidance!!!