9 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 1:25 PM by Billy~Verreynne RSS

shared memory realm does not exist

jey84
      Hai

Oracle 9i r1

shared memory realm does not exist error often occured. how to overcome this error?
        • 1. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
          shutdown and startup...

still not resolved...?

might be not having enough pga / sga size.

try increasing those..

Edited by: Kiran on May 9, 2012 4:22 AM
          • 2. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
            BluShadow
            Question moved to Oracle Discussion Forums » Oracle Database » Database - General
            • 3. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
              Fran
              The ORACLE_HOME or/and ORACLE_SID is not set properly. Try to set it correctly and check again if the error appears.
              • 4. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
                Helios-GunesEROL
                Hi;
                Oracle 9i r1
                You are working wiht unsupported version,I suggest to make upgrade plan asap for your db
                shared memory realm does not exist error often occured. how to overcome this error?
                What is your OS?
                What alert.log mention?
                Did you set your env. before connecting db

Regard
                Helios
                • 5. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
                  jey84
                  Hai

I could not understand "env."? What I have to do in db?
                  • 6. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
                    J.Arulraj wrote:
                    Hai

I could not understand "env."? What I have to do in db?
                    Hi

env. here means environment ...

What is oracle version and Os ??
                    If you are on window then set your environment as

C:\> set ORACLE_SID=<sid>
                    c:\>sqlplus / as sysdba

If on *nix

$export ORACLE_SID=<sid>
                    $sqlplus / as sysdba

If on *nix check the .bash_profile for checking your environment variable as
                    $vi .bash_profile

and in case of window check by using

my computer -->right click--> properties --> advance --> environment variables

check whether oracle path is set Properly or not and the path too ...

--neeraj                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                    • 7. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      J.Arulraj wrote:

Oracle 9i r1
                      An Oracle database instance comprises of 2 basic components.

The SGA - a shared memory area that is created and can be considered the brains of the database instance.

Processes - system and user and management processes attach to the SGA and provide various functions (these can be considered as the body parts of the database instance).

When you connect to the database using a local process (e.g. sqlplus on the server), the Oracle client driver does not contact the Listener via TCP. Instead it uses the ORACLE_HOME to launch a dedicated database server process. In order for this server process to service the local client process (e.g. sqlplus), it needs to join the database instance. This server process uses the ORACLE_SID to determine what the shared memory identifier is of the database's SGA to attach too.

The error you got means that this server process did not find an SGA to attach to. The "+shared memory realm+" in the error message refers to the SGA.

The ORACLE_SID (in that o/s session environment) as mentioned is used to identify the SGA to attach to. The ORACLE_SID either contains an invalid ORACLE_SID identifier (no such database SGA exists), or the ORACLE_SID refers to a database instance that is not running (which means no SGA exists to attach to).
                      • 8. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
                        jey84
                        Hai

I understood. How to overcome that error permanently? can u tell me solution for that? It will be more helpful to me.

Thank you
                        • 9. Re: shared memory realm does not exist
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          That depends.

Is the ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME valid? If not, correct these environment variables.

If these are correct, then the database instance is not started. So start the database instance.