6 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 2:59 AM by -joe RSS

10g with OGG 11

Annamalai A
      Hi,

can we use OGG V11 version binaries for oracle 10 g database?
        • 1. Re: 10g with OGG 11
          MikeN
          The name of the software has the version of goldengate and the database version supported. So you would download GoldenGate v11 for Oracle 10g for {operating system}
          • 2. Re: 10g with OGG 11
            kuljeet singh -
            yes as its supported
            • 3. Re: 10g with OGG 11
              jcnars
              Gosh, this is confusing:
              From the certification matrix, it looks like compatible, but from a metalink note, it doesn't:

Certification matrix: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/data-integration/goldengate1111-cert-matrix-349179.xls

Conflicting metalink note:

Compatibility Between OGG Builds and Oracle Database Versions [ID 1086154.1]

Goal
              Compatibility between Oracle GoldenGate (OGG) builds and Oracle database Versions

Can I use an OGG build for Oracle 10G to extract / replicate from /to Oracle 9i or oracle 11G database?
              Solution
              Using a OGG 10g build you can replicate to oracle 10.1 or 10.2 but not to Oracle 9i or Oracle 11G

For an extract - The database version should match exactly with the Oracle GG build

Scenarios

GG oracle 10G Build - Can extract from Oracle 10.1 or Oracle 10.2 and not from any other Oracle version
              GG oracle 10.1 build – Can extract only from Oracle 10.1 and not from any other Oracle version
              GG oracle 10.2 build – Can extract Only from Oracle 10.2 and not from any other Oracle version

For a replicat – The major database version should match with the Oracle GG build

Scenarios

GG oracle 10G Build – Can replicate to Oracle 10.1 or Oracle 10.2 and not to any other Oracle version
              GG oracle 10.1 build – Can replicate to Oracle 10.1 , Oracle 10.2 and not to any other Oracle version
              GG oracle 10.2 build – Can replicate to Oracle 10.1, Oracle 10.2 and not to any other Oracle version

The case is same with Oracle GG 9i build or GG 11g build.

The reason behind these requirements is that the data dictionary calls may be different from one version of the database to the other and our code is database version specific.

To clarify it differently, OGG always refers the Oracle DB software version and not the COMPATIBLE parameter, which might point to older versions for backward compatibility.
              • 4. Re: 10g with OGG 11
                amardeep.sidhu
                Not sure if I am getting you.

But on edelivery there is a separate GG version for each version of the database. You can download the one that corresponds to your version of the DB.
                • 5. Re: 10g with OGG 11
                  EmaxG
                  I dont think this is true? Maybe it is not 100% the right way to go, but using OGG 11 I've set up replications between 10g and 11g databases successfully. No issues at all!

Just test it you'll see it works.

Even using the same software version in the two db servers, but different oracle ones.
                  • 6. Re: 10g with OGG 11
                    -joe
                    That's because you're probably using the "right" version for the extract side and are getting lucky using that same version for the replicat side because not all the system tables changed between 10g and 11g. Try capturing with that "wrong" version from your target system. Just test it you'll see if it works.

Good luck,
                    -joe