3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 3:11 PM by budachst

Solaris 11 rescan hardware Grub

I recently installed Solaris 11 on an VMware ESXi server. For Solaris I used
      a dedicated harddisk wich is accesed directly (ESX direct pass-through).
      Eventually I want only Solaris on this pc and use VirtualBox as virtualisation system.
      I did a test to boot Solaris directly without ESX , the Grub loader appears and then Solaris starts but immediately
      quits because is sees different hardware.
      Is it possible with some key combination (in Grub) to force a Solaris hardware rescan?

• 1. Re: Solaris 11 rescan hardware Grub
          In the "grub" menu, select the Solaris 11 entry and select "e" for edit. Add a " -r" to the kernel line and boot. That should instruct the kernel to rebuild the devices.
          • 2. Re: Solaris 11 rescan hardware Grub

I added -r to the kernel line and reboot, but the problem remains.
            I shortly see the Solaris start screen but then it immediately reboots.
            In this case (on plain hardware) it doesnt see the VMware virtual hardware anymore
            but a plain HP DC7900, I will check if Solaris can run on a DC7900.

• 3. Re: Solaris 11 rescan hardware Grub
              Well, if you have run Solaris inside a VMWare guest, even though you used a raw disk to install the system, I bet that after you removed the VMWare installation, you'd need to run installgrub from the S11 installer CD or USB key.

So, I think what is happening here is that grub runs and then tries to boot the kernel, however with some false offset and thus reboots.
              My take on this would be:

- boot of the text installer CD or USB key
              - chose "Enter Shell"
              - check your rpool, maybe run zfs import…

installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/<whereever your rpool slice is located>