9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 10:37 AM by qhussain RSS

Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to

qhussain
      Hi All,

I have 'Windows 7' already installed on my laptop. I wanted to install Solaris 11 along with 'Windows 7'.
      I have followed the instruction as per below:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/E21798/sliminstall.html#scrolltoc

But after installing the 'Solaris 11', I rebooted the laptop. It gave me the option to start 'Windows' or 'Solaris 11'.
      Solaris 11 startup was sucessfull but when I start my 'Windows', it reports "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to restart".

I am not able to start my window at all.

Please suggest!

Regards,
      Qumar
        • 1. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
          Windows 7 and Solaris 11 can easily coexist on the same harddisk-
          Solaris 11 installation will add the GRUB bootmanager.
          Check the grub menu /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst for
          see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23824_01/html/821-2726/fvbse.html#scrolltoc
          • 2. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
            alan.pae
            Please post the contents of /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst

alan
            • 3. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
              Qamar Hussain
              Hi,

please find the out put of 'menu.lst' file:

qhussain@solaris:/rpool/boot/grub$less menu.lst# default menu entry to boot
              default 0
              #
              # menu timeout in second before default OS is booted
              # set to -1 to wait for user input
              timeout 30
              #
              # To enable grub serial console to ttya uncomment the following lines
              # and comment out the splashimage line below
              # WARNING: do not enable grub serial console when BIOS console serial
              # redirection is active.
              # serial unit=0 speed=9600
              # terminal serial
              #
              # Uncomment the following line to enable GRUB splashimage on console
              splashimage /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
              foreground 343434
              background F7FBFF
              #
              # To chainload another OS
              #
              # title Another OS
              # root (hd<disk no>,<partition no>)
              # chainloader +1
              #
              # To chainload a Solaris release not based on GRUB:
              #
              # title Solaris 9
              # chainloader +1
              # makeactive
              #
              # To load a Solaris instance based on GRUB:
              #
              # title Solaris <version>
              # bootfs <poolname>/ROOT/<BE_name>
              # kernel /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix
              # module /platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive

#
              # To override Solaris boot args (see kernel(1M)), console device and
              # properties set via eeprom(1M) edit the "kernel" line to:
              #
              # kernel /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix <boot-args> -B prop=value,...
              #
              #
              #
              title Oracle Solaris 11 11/11
              bootfs rpool/ROOT/solaris
              kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS,console=graphics
              module$ /platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive
              title Windows
              rootnoverify (hd0,1)
              chainloader +1
              qhussain@solaris:/rpool/boot/grub$
              • 4. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
                alan.pae
                rootnoverify (hd0,1)
                chainloader +1
                Ok, so the comment in menu.lst says:
                # To chainload another OS
                #
                # title Another OS
                # chainloader +1
                #
                So rootnoverify(hard disk 0 [first disk], partition # 1)

So I gather that Solaris is installed first and Windows second? I always load Windows first and then Solaris.

My entry is:

title Windows
                rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                chainloader +1

alan
                • 5. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
                  Qamar Hussain
                  No, I followed below order:

1) Installed 'Windows 7' first ( Basically The Windows 7 was already installed but after installing the Solaris, i could not access the windows, so I recover window in my Laptop using windows recovery DVD and installed the Solaris again but the issue still persist: As soon as I install Solaris, window does not start and report: BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to restart)

2) Booted my Laptop using 'Solaris 11' Live Media.

3) Used the 'Solaris Install' desktop icon to install the Solaris.

4) I would also add:
                  I have two partitions (by default) after recovering Windows.
                  first partition 'C' has windows and second partition 'D' has nothing other than a 'HDDRecovery' files of windows but I did format partition 'D' using windows 'disk management' tool and restarted windows successfully before starting the 'Solaris' installation.
                  Also during the 'Solaris' installation, while selecting the partition, it does not show partition 'C' or 'D'(Windows format) but it shows size of the disks and path of the partition in 'Solaris' format. So I have selected the partition for solaris installation based on size(as I knew the size of partition 'D').
                  Also after selecting the partition, I have used it's type as 'Solaris 2' for installing solaris over it.
                  • 6. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
                    alan.pae
                    title Windows
                    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                    chainloader +1

So try modifying /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst so it's rootnoverify (hd0,0) as shown above and it should boot then. There is no installed OS on partition 1 so it should throw some kind of an error message similar to what you're seeing.

alan
                    • 7. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
                      Qamar Hussain
                      Hi Alan,

Thanks for the response.

I would try the 'menu.lst' change meanwhile, just wanted to confirm: am I following the correct steps(as stated above)?

Shall I format the 'D' Partition and make two partition 'D' & 'E' and use partition 'E' for installing the Solaris 11?

Also am I following the correct steps for booting the laptop using the 'Live Media' and using 'Solaris Installation' icon for installing the Solaris 11?

Regards,
                      Qumar
                      • 8. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
                        alan.pae
                        Qamar Hussain wrote:
                        Hi Alan,

Thanks for the response.

I would try the 'menu.lst' change meanwhile, just wanted to confirm: am I following the correct steps(as stated above)?
                        Looks ok
                        Shall I format the 'D' Partition and make two partition 'D' & 'E' and use partition 'E' for installing the Solaris 11?
                        You could but the installer would just reformat E: as solaris2 partition.
                        Also am I following the correct steps for booting the laptop using the 'Live Media' and using 'Solaris Installation' icon for installing the Solaris 11?
                        That's what I do.

alan
                        • 9. Re: Solaris Installed, windows report "BOOTMGR is missing/Press Ctrl+Alt_Del to
                          qhussain
                          Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot!

I have modified the "/rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst".

it had two "title Windows" [ May be due to the two portion]. I removed one of them and modfied the another one as you suggested:

title Windows
                          rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                          chainloader +1

Now I have both 'Windows 7' and 'Solaris 11' in my laptop.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
                          Qumar