This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2012 9:40 PM by 403074 RSS

Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000

839608 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have got this Sun N860-8705-T210 Keyboard Type 6 N860-8705-t210 01a 3201272-01

I connected it to my Sunblade 2K with a PS2 to USB adapter because the keyboard is PS2.

I still can't make it working.

I get this error:

ERROR :/pci@8, 700000/usb@5, 3: Last Trap: Data Access Error
Can't open USB keyboard package
Can't open input device.

Keyboard not present. Using ttya for input and output.

Do you think I may use that keyboard with my sunbox?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    The Sun keyboards that have a mini-DIN connector are NOT* PS/2.
    The pin configuration is different and the actual layout of the plug pins are not the same as PS/2.
    Though that keyboards wire appears to end in a round connector, it's the wrong connector for what you hope to accomplish.

So ...
    No. You will not be able to make that keyboard function with your workstation.

While the proper wired USB keyboards aren't cheap on online auction web sites such as eBay, they are at least affordable. You should be able to find one for approx $US30. As I type this in Spring 2012, there are a number currently offered online.
  • 2. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    839608 Newbie
    As suggested I bought a USB Type6 keyboard. I still have the same problem. It seems the workstation doesn't communicate with the keyboard. The lights on the keyboard do not flash. I still get the same message. Could it be that the USB ports are not functioning properly? If I plug a mouse in the USB port the led of the mouse lights on.
  • 3. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    Does your Type 6 USB keyboard work on a PeeCee?
    All the standard keys should function, just not the special Sun keys.

In the era that the SB200 shipped from the factory, the Type6 keyboard was all that was available. The Type7 peripheral didn't appear until the years later, in the time frame of the Ultra20/25 and Ultra40/45 workstations.
  • 4. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    403074 Newbie
    Follow rukbat's advice and test if the keyboard works when attached to your PC.

A PC USB keyboard should work with your Blade 2000, with two limitations:

1. Sun keyboards report the locale (national keyboard layout) to the Sun system. The PC keyboard doesn't and therefore a US layout is assumed.

2. They lack the special function keys.

Michael
  • 5. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    839608 Newbie
    Dear Maal and Rukbat,

thanks for your interest in helping me. As you suggested I connected my Sun Type 6 USB keyboard to my lenovo laptop and works just fine.

Do you have any other suggestion I can do to make my Sunblade 2000 work properly? It might be problem related to the RAM?
  • 6. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    You do have a USB mouse also connected?
    You may need both a keyboard and a mouse attached to the chassis for the system to realize it has the proper `kit` available to itself.

If you don't have a Sun three-button mouse nearby, I'm pretty sure a simple PeeCee USB mouse will suffice.
  • 7. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    You do have a graphics card/monitor connected yes?

You might try:

<pre>
    set-defaults
    </pre>

at the "Ok" prompt (if you can do anything at the "Ok"). Does the system boot into Solaris? If so, you might boot it up and run "eeprom" and see what you have set for "input-device" and "output-device" in the EEPROM. Here's what they should be set to for a graphics system:

<pre>
    $ eeprom | grep put-device
    output-device=screen
    input-device=keyboard
    $
    </pre>
  • 8. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    839608 Newbie
    I have both a PC mouse and a sun usb 3 buttons mouse. No luck! :(
  • 9. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    839608 Newbie
    This sunbox came without operating system. The prompt is not available at the boot. The only message I get is this

Can't open input device.

• 10. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    ejungle wrote:
    This sunbox came without operating system. The prompt is not available at the boot. The only message I get is this

Can't open input device.

I'm beginning to think there is a hardware failure.
    There are four USB ports on the back of that systemboard, all from the same USB chip controller. There may be physical damage to those ports such as missing or bent contacts.

By the way, here's a link to a diagram drawing of that systemboard as shown on a non-Oracle web site.
    http://sunsolve.filibeto.org/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_SunBlade_1000.html
    (the SB2000 and the SB1000 use the same board. The outer cases were different colors.)

At this point, you may need to configure a serial connection, with a LapLink cable, from some other computer and make your connection to the box in that fashion. That may be your next way to see if this box is usable at all.

Use the Forum Search limiting yourself to this Workstation forum for keyword tip* .
    By Example:
    https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=tip&objID=f1010&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15
  • 11. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    I'm in agreement with rukbat on this. You should give him a "helpful" for that suggestion.
  • 12. Re: Can't get Type6 keyboard working on SUNBLADE 2000
    403074 Newbie
    Maybe we should remember that the framebuffer is only activated after POST if a keyboard is detected. Otherwise all output is directed to the (serial) console (or the configured remote management ports).

Spare parts for these old systems are very inexpensive on flee markets nowadays. Yesterday I have bought two Type 6 USB keyboards (with one 3-button mouse, the second one lacked the ball and cover and was free) for 9 Euro. The DVD drive (DV-28E, SunPN 370-5128-04) was 3 Euro.
    On the other hand keeping these systems up-to-date with firmware is impossible (due to the required service contract to obtain the "patches").

I will try if these parts and my suggestions work when I return home in about 2 weeks.

Michael