1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 3:50 PM by jgarry RSS

Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?

Paulie
      Hi all,

I tried to start a new thread today - put a lot of effort into the question - good
      English, code (with tags) tested - basically no problems - forum SQL and PL/SQL

There were absolutely no offensive words, nor indeed could what I wrote
      be construed as anyway offensive (in fact I positively acknowledged another
      poster's contributions).

When I try to post "jive" (more like "hive" - the kind that itches) refuses
      to accept my post and I get the message - "Sorry, this content is not allowed"

I tried to edit bits, move bits around, but to no avail.

What can I do to resolve this issue? Is it common?

Any ideas, references, URL's ideas, whatever appreciated.

Paul...
        • 1. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
          Billy~Verreynne
          There is a list of banned words on OTN to counter spam. A bone of contention that has been raised and discussed numerous times here.

Do not use sales pitch words - like disc0unt.

Do not use words that refers to articles of clothing like sho3s or j3ans.

Etc.

What the complete list is.. no idea.

Is it a frustration? You betcha. I've complained bitterly about it. But the OTN admins seem convinced that to counter spam, regular posters and valid postings have to feel the pain. :-(
          • 2. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
            Paulie
            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
            There is a list of banned words on OTN to counter spam. A bone of contention
            that has been raised and discussed numerous times here.
            Do not use sales pitch words - like disc0unt.
            What about b0nus? Or pr1ce?
            Do not use words that refers to articles of clothing like sho3s or j3ans.
            And if one is writing an app for the garm3nt industry?
            Is it a frustration? You betcha. I've complained bitterly about it. But the OTN admins seem
            convinced that to counter spam, regular posters and valid postings have to feel the pain. :-(
            V. annoying - it's not like the volume of traffic is huge... I know that I've been told before that
            the current version of hive is not going anywhere - but for the (apparently) vapourware
            that is the new forum software could have a "rep" status and obviously those who use
            obscenities will be "chaparoned" until they mend their ways...
            <rant>
            It's a bit sad that the world's second largest s/w company can't have a semi-decent
            configurable forum system - it also says much about their attitude to the volunteers
            who give of their time and effort on these fora - I've had much more help here than
            I've ever got off metalink - or whatever they're calling it these days. Furthermore
            it strikes me that it would be a good showcase for Apex - another pet rant is that
            the sample apex apps that were available are no longer there, despite the web
            site saying that they would appear - and that's a good three years now...
            Anyway, another cross to bear...
            </rant>

On a more positive note, I've criticised Oracle from time to time and have had
            cross words with some fellow posters and have never had a post deleted or
            a thread that I started locked.

Anyway, keep up the good work on PL/SQL and SQL and Database-General.

Paul...
            • 3. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
              Dkildahl -Oracle
              Jive is not a blocked word.

If you have a question about a blocked word, or you want a word unblocked, let us know and we will consider the change.

Edited by: dkildahl on May 9, 2012 10:23 AM
              • 4. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                fac586
                dkildahl  wrote:

If you have a question about a blocked word, or you want a word unblocked, let us know and we will consider the change.
                The problem appears to be that he doesn't know which word the gnomic Jive is blocking...

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."
                Through the Looking Glass
                • 5. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                  Paulie
                  dkildahl  wrote:
                  I've seen some poor software in my time, but blocking your own name would be a new low...

If you have a question about a blocked word, or you want a word unblocked,
                  let us know and we will consider the change.
                  And, I'm to send this communication where? I could post it here - but wait, if I sent the post it would be blocked
                  and I still wouldn't have an idea why. This is the feedback forum and I've yet to see an Oracle
                  employee respond to any of my posts - or threads - however, I'm not a huge regular here.

I've asked about the forum software here before and I've been told that it's not going to be upgraded and
                  that if I have any feature requests, I'll just have to sit on them - until the much-vaunted "replacement"
                  arrives. I've a feeling that the temperature in Beelzebub's domain will be heading for -273 at that point.

Why are words pertaining to garments blocked? Anyway, Billy didn't get to be an Ace without having
                  gone round a while and he's explained it to me in the past - just not about the aberrant blocked
                  word scenario.

If you can actually do anything about this, I could email you the offending post - you can contact me
                  at my email which is on "show" in my profile.

Paul...
                  • 6. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                    BluShadow
                    Paulie wrote:
                    Why are words pertaining to garments blocked?
                    Because a lot of spammers are making posts about certain popular brands of sporting footwear etc. and rather than the moderators and admin try and keep up with deleting the hundreds that were appearing (and on some occassions the volume was really disrupting the forums, and the posts were appearing faster than we could delete them), it was simpler to put a block on the common words those spammers were using so they didn't get to post in the first place.

Fortunately, I've not found much difficulty in posting, only once or twice in the past year have I found the dreaded "content not allowed" appear, so it is only a few select words.
                    • 7. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                      jgarry
                      >
                      I've ever got off metalink - or whatever they're calling it these days. Furthermore
                      it strikes me that it would be a good showcase for Apex - another pet rant is that
                      It now says they won't appear. I almost commented on the YABAOAE blog about it, but I haven't looked at the cloud stuff the web site mentions, yet, to see if there is anything there. But if it is so much trouble, it's lost me.
                      Anyway, another cross to bear...
                      </rant>

On a more positive note, I've criticised Oracle from time to time and have had
                      cross words with some fellow posters and have never had a post deleted or
                      a thread that I started locked.
                      You just need to be bad enough :p
                      • 8. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                        Paulie
                        >
                        It now says they won't appear. I almost commented on the YABAOAE blog about it, but I
                        haven't looked at the cloud stuff the web site mentions, yet, to see if there is anything there.
                        From here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/application-express/packaged-apps-090453.html

===============
                        The Application Express team is developing a number of new, more advanced applications.
                        These new applications are planned to be available as part of the Oracle Database Cloud Service.
                        =================

Now, that to me implies that they would/should be available in some shape or form and I would have hoped
                        that those who signed up to apex.oracle.com would be able to study them to learn about apex. Because,
                        if they're not available for aspiring students of apex, then what's the point?

Take for example the bug tracking app - what would be the point of using an oracle instance in the
                        cloud when onecan have the mature and excellent bugzilla for free with the db of one's choice. Even Oracle
                        can be used - with XE you get 11GB - so unless you're Microsoft or Oracle you're unlikely to
                        have more than 11GB of bugs.
                        But if it is so much trouble, it's lost me.
                        Oracle seems to be making a real push to have Apex as an auxiliary tool for Oracle db. There are
                        oodles of sample apps for JDeveloper for example.

You just need to be bad enough :p
                        I'm not bad, I'm wicked. ;)

Paul...
                        • 9. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                          Todd Little-Oracle
                          I just got caught by this today and to say I'm a bit dismayed is an understatement. I have 1100 posts over the last several years and am an Oracle employee. Do I REALLY need to be subjected to a spam filter???

Surely we can do better.

Regards,
                          Todd Little
                          Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect
                          • 10. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                            The spam filter is 100% keyword-based, there is no connection to user account status or reputation.
                            • 11. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                              Paulie
                              >

The spam filter is 100% keyword-based, there is no connection to user account status or reputation.
                              Maybe we could be told what they are?

Furthermore, on the orafaq forum (and Oracle could do worse than purchasing the software they use - or indeed the
                              entire company - small change to Larry I'm sure ;) ), you have to post at least 5 times before you can post an URL.

I've posted over 750 times - can I not be removed from this list?

Paul...
                              • 12. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                                BluShadow
                                There was recently a block on "Chicago" and "Boston" that I spotted, that was put in apparently because of the start of a certain sporting season (and a massive influx of spam at that time). However, as those are places that are used in the Scott schema's DEPT table for Oracle, that does make posting examples pretty tricky. I logged this to admin and they've removed those two now.... was a bit annoying, but at least it was dealt with and reverted back to normality.
                                • 13. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                                  BluShadow wrote:
                                  Paulie wrote:
                                  Why are words pertaining to garments blocked?
                                  Because a lot of spammers are making posts about certain popular brands of sporting footwear etc
                                  T h a t    i s    b e y o n d    a s i n i n e .
                                  ( J u s t   i n   c a s e   a n y   o f   t h e s e   w o r d s   m i g h t   b e   u s e d   b y   s p a m m e r s . )
                                  • 14. Re: Sorry, this content is not allowed - absolutely puzzled - how to resolve?
                                    Roxyrollers
                                    Ha!

This baffled me for at least an Hour. I was trying to paste an Insert statement and all it had for the city was 'T o r o n t o' (Without spaces). It did not like it and spammed it.
                                    1 2 Previous Next