3 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 12:10 PM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Can I performa an >In Place< upgrade for 11gR2

Hi all,

I goofed a bit, I downloaded and installed 11g R2 (11.2.0.1.0) and installed it. After installation I went looking for the patchsets. Then I learned that as of 11.2.0.2 these are not patchsets, per se, but full installs. (I'll know now to log onto My Oracle Support first!)

I've read the various threads hear regarding upgrades for 11g and none are quite the same - trying not to recover existing discussions.

Because I'm installing this as a backbone for Windchill (a CAD file data vault), and I will allow the Windchill installer to create my database and so my installation was software only. The Upgrade Guide e23633 and other documents advise against in-place upgrades. This is a Single-Instance Oracle database with no database created yet, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition, x64.

In this forum and others as well as various blogs, have threads and articles on the relative difficulties people have had de-installing 11g.

Would you recommend I do an in-place Upgrade to get this to 11.2.0.3.0 or use the Oracle De-install Utility (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) and actually start from scratch installing 11.2.0.3.0?

(I'm still downloading the 7! zip archives for Patchset 3, so I have a moment before I have to make this decision!)

Thank you,
      PT
        • 1. Re: Can I performa an >In Place< upgrade for 11gR2
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Simply install 11.2.0.3 in a new ORACLE_HOME and you should be good.

If you insist on doing an in-place upgrade, then pl see the Upgrade Guide - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/upgrade.htm#UPGRD52700

In-Place Upgrade on UNIX For Single Instance 11gR2 Database [ID 1377613.1]
          In-Place Upgrade to 11.2.0.2 on Windows Platform [ID 1291682.1]

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Can I performa an >In Place< upgrade for 11gR2
            Thank you for the reply Srini, but it really didn't answer my question.

I've already been through the Upgrade Guide, that's what lead me to post my question for advice and suggestions. My question is, was it really necessary to perform the Out-of-Place Upgrade - the preferred method - when I had only installed "software only" of 11.2.0.1.0 and had no database created to upgrade? Save the time by simply an In-Place because I was already software only.

I fully understand reasons for and have practiced the preferred out-of-place upgrade. The fault tolerant undisturbed source database is the only way to go - when there is an actual database.

Unless someone advises against it, I'm going to simply run the 11.2.0.1 De-Installation Utility first, rather than upgrade in place. Then install back in the same base path the 11.2.0.3 version was. Not that it matters if it is in the same base path or not, but I'll de-install ~0.1 anyway, why not do it first since I have no database to upgrade.

Cheers,
            PT
            • 3. Re: Can I performa an >In Place< upgrade for 11gR2
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              The uninstall of 11.2.0.1 and install of 11.2.0.3 are unrelated, except when you want to use the same OH location. The OH location really does not matter - you can install 11.2.0.3 in a new OH and uninstall 11.2.0.1 later at leisure.

HTH
              Srini