This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2012 2:12 PM by user220123 RSS

Solaris Cluster 4 with Solaris 11/11/11 -- LDOM farm

user220123 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

In the 2011 Openworld, I had the opportunity to meet some of the Oracle cluster experts. In conversations, I found that when configuring LDOMs within a clustered environments, we could pass a complete "/dev/did/*dsk/d<num>" device directly to the guest domain.

Are there any notes/whitepapers that someone within Oracle could direct me to that elaborates this a little more? I can reach out via our regular pre-sales channels, but I'm posting here since I know the Cluster gurus frequent this watering hole :)
  • 1. Re: Solaris Cluster 4 with Solaris 11/11/11 -- LDOM farm
    HartmutStreppel Explorer
    Hi,
    at first one question back to you to understand your configuration: where does the cluster live, what do you want to be clustered resources?

Reason for this question is that there are 2 ways to run Solaris Cluster in an LDOM environment:
    1. You cluster the primaries/IO-domains and use guest LDOMs as cluster resources (plus other resources like DBs, etc).
    2. Or you cluster guest LDOMs from several systems.
    IT is not recommended to mix the two.

In case 2, as there is no cluster in the IO-domain, there is no /dev/did device that you can pass on to the guests. In case 1 there is, but I would have to check the docs.
    Regards
    Hartmut
  • 2. Re: Solaris Cluster 4 with Solaris 11/11/11 -- LDOM farm
    user220123 Newbie
    Hi,

I am referring to your first scenario. Cluster is installed in the control/service domain and I want to pass the DIDs to the cluster-managed guest LDOMs
  • 3. Re: Solaris Cluster 4 with Solaris 11/11/11 -- LDOM farm
    HartmutStreppel Explorer
    I could not find out the exact answer, but I have a couple of thoughts to share.
    1. There is no reason to believe that using the method you proposed would not work.
    2. On the other hand, why would you want to use did devices and not cNtNdN devices?

Conceptually this should be identical, but using cNtNdN devices would have the advantage that they would work, even if you booted the IO domain without Solaris Cluster, e.g. in an emergency. I do not see that the did devices offer you any advantage. The guest only sees a virtual device and during the process of mapping a device to the guest, you have to chose a logical name as well. So I really do not see the benefit.
    Regards
    Hartmut
  • 4. Re: Solaris Cluster 4 with Solaris 11/11/11 -- LDOM farm
    user220123 Newbie
    Hi Hartmut,

I chose to use the DID namespace because of it's simplicity. I can reference a /dev/did/rdsk/d<> and be consistent across the cluster. Also, since I'm using HA to cluster the LDOMs, I don't have to worry about bringing up resources on the Control domain (since all the FC storage I use is for guest domains). The control domains themselves (which are also the IO domains) have the internal drives of the T4-4 that contain the rpool etc.

My vds devices look like this --

<pre>

VDS
    NAME VOLUME OPTIONS MPGROUP DEVICE
    primary_vds0 sol11 /local/sol-11-1111-text-sparc.iso
    sol10u10 ro /local/sol-10-u10-ga2-sparc-dvd.iso
    primary_shared_vds1 d9 /dev/did/dsk/d9s2
    d11 /dev/did/dsk/d11s2
    d12 /dev/did/dsk/d12s2
    d25 /dev/did/dsk/d25s2
    d27 /dev/did/dsk/d27s2
    d28 /dev/did/dsk/d28s2
    d29 /dev/did/dsk/d29s2
    d30 /dev/did/dsk/d30s2
    d31 /dev/did/dsk/d31s2
    d32 /dev/did/dsk/d32s2
    d33 /dev/did/dsk/d33s2
    d34 /dev/did/dsk/d34s2
    d35 /dev/did/dsk/d35s2
    d36 /dev/did/dsk/d36s2
    d37 /dev/did/dsk/d37s2
    </pre>

Edited by: implicate_order on May 11, 2012 2:11 PM

Also, I have a script that extracts the EMC array ID, scsi id, ctd name and size etc from the DID framework.

Edited by: implicate_order on May 11, 2012 2:11 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points