This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2012 12:04 AM by Amatu Allah RSS

How to handle Update, Insert in same multi-record CONTROL Blk - Help Please

user483578 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,
Need some help.. have spent some time on this and not working for me at all...Set_item_property doesn't work as I want :-(
I have a multi-record CONTROL block.
Once the data is queried, it will display the existing data. Say there are about 10 fields displayed on the block
I want to modify only 4 fields out of this 10. Other fields should not allowed to update.
But I want to allow to insert a new records as well to the table and save. (I am inserting manually through a package.)
How do I handle this insert and modify functionality on the same form._
  • 1. Re: How to handle Update, Insert in same multi-record CONTROL Blk - Help Please
    CraigB Guru
    First and foremost, you should always include the following minumum information: Forms version, OS version, Java version.

How are you populating your datablock? It sounds like you are manually populating the block rather than basing the block on a table. Were your block based on the table, Oracle Forms will handle the all of the DML for you - no need to write code for this.
    I want to modify only 4 fields out of this 10. Other fields should not allowed to update.
    It sounds like you don't want your users to be able to update any of the remain 6 fields. This being the case, just set the Update Allowed property to No for each item in the Property Pallet - there is no need to change them programatically.

If you feel you must set them programatically, then the Forms SET_ITEM_PROPERTY built-in is the wrong one to use. When you use this built-in it sets the property for ALL items in your multi-record display. To set the properties of one instance of a item in your multi-record block, you have to use the SET_ITEM_INSTANCE_PROPERTY built-in. Using this built-in you can set the UPDATE_ALLOWED property to PROPERTY_FALSE for each item.

Hope this helps,
    Craig B-)

If someone's response is helpful or correct, please mark it accordingly.
  • 2. Re: How to handle Update, Insert in same multi-record CONTROL Blk - Help Please
    user483578 Newbie
    ThanX Craig,

Under which trigger do we place this "SET_ITEM_INSTANCE_PROPERTY('" ... statements ..
    am usning 10g forms, 11g database
  • 3. Re: How to handle Update, Insert in same multi-record CONTROL Blk - Help Pl
    Amatu Allah Guru
    Hi

u can use...

WHEN-CREATE_RECORD Trigger
    block-Level

Regards,

Amatu Allah

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points