10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 9:21 AM by __OUTSIDER___

    Question about VIP

    __OUTSIDER___
      Hi experts,
      After Grid Infra installation I faced with interesting problem/fact.
      So when I execute command
      [grid@~cluster1node1] srvctl config vip -n cluster1node1
      VIP exists.:cluster1node1
      VIP exists.: /192.168.2.121/192.168.2.121/255.255.255.0/eth0
      [grid@~cluster1node1] nslookup 192.168.2.121
      Server:         192.168.2.20
      Address:        192.168.2.20#53
      
      121.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa      name = cluster1node1-vip.it.data.
      I already have DNS records for this VIP why here I see the IP instead of VIP host name? Can anyone explain? please.
        • 1. Re: Question about VIP
          onedbguru
          __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
          Hi experts,
          After Grid Infra installation I faced with interesting problem/fact.
          So when I execute command
          [grid@~cluster1node1] srvctl config vip -n cluster1node1
          VIP exists.:cluster1node1
          VIP exists.: /192.168.2.121/192.168.2.121/255.255.255.0/eth0
          [grid@~cluster1node1] nslookup 192.168.2.121
          Server:         192.168.2.20
          Address:        192.168.2.20#53
          
          121.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa      name = cluster1node1-vip.it.data.
          I already have DNS records for this VIP why here I see the IP instead of VIP host name? Can anyone explain? please.
          What version?

          Because you gave the wrong IP address information for cluster1node1???

          grep cluster1node1 /etc/hosts

          nslookup cluster1node1
          nslookup cluster1node1-vip
          nslookup <ipaddress for cluster1node1 and cluster1node1-vip>

          Make sure all of your addresses match both DNS **AND** /etc/hosts ! the exception to this is the SCAN address for 11g does not go in /etc/hosts
          • 2. Re: Question about VIP
            __OUTSIDER___
            Hi, thanks for reply.

            >
            What version?
            11.2.0.1.0
            Because you gave the wrong IP address information for cluster1node1???
            Why wrong ?
            grep cluster1node1 /etc/hosts

            nslookup cluster1node1
            nslookup cluster1node1-vip
            nslookup <ipaddress for cluster1node1 and cluster1node1-vip>

            Make sure all of your addresses match both DNS **AND** /etc/hosts ! the exception to this is the SCAN address for 11g does not go in /etc/hosts
            But is necessary to have records in /etc/hosts ? because I thought it is enough to have that records in DNS.....
            • 3. Re: Question about VIP
              912595
              __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
              Hi experts,
              After Grid Infra installation I faced with interesting problem/fact.
              So when I execute command
              [grid@~cluster1node1] srvctl config vip -n cluster1node1
              VIP exists.:cluster1node1
              VIP exists.: /192.168.2.121/192.168.2.121/255.255.255.0/eth0
              [grid@~cluster1node1] nslookup 192.168.2.121
              Server:         192.168.2.20
              Address:        192.168.2.20#53
              
              121.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa      name = cluster1node1-vip.it.data.
              I already have DNS records for this VIP why here I see the IP instead of VIP host name? Can anyone explain? please.
              YOu rconfiguration is correct!

              See mine:
              srvctl config vip -n dwp1db03
              
              VIP exists: /xxxnode-vip/172.16.5.187/172.16.5.128/255.255.255.128/bondeth0, hosting node xxx
              [oracle@ bin]$ nsloopup 172.16.5.187
              [oracle@ bin]$ nslookup 172.16.5.187
              Server:         172.16.4.132
              Address:        172.16.4.132#53
              
              187.5.16.172.in-addr.arpa       name = dwp103-vip.xxxxxxxx.co.in.
              
              [[oracle@ bin]$ nslookup 172.16.5.187
              Server:         172.16.4.132
              Address:        172.16.4.132#53
              
              187.5.16.172.in-addr.arpa       name = dwp103-vip.bankofbaroda.co.in.
              This is expected when you do nskooup of VIP address. Since VIP has been configured on DNS for that perticluar node. So when you do nslookup it has to proivde you the IP address of that node on which VIP is configured.

              For example when you do nslookup of SCAN-NAME (scan name in 11.2 clusterware) , then you would get the IPs which are configured for this SCAN NAME. SO that when any request come for SCAN-NAME then DNS know for which IPs the request has come.
              Hope its clear to you. I may have not explained you properly as i'm not network admin :)

              Edited by: 909592 on May 15, 2012 12:08 PM
              • 4. Re: Question about VIP
                __OUTSIDER___
                Thanks for joining and for clarification.

                So need I add VIP hosts names to /etc/hosts ? because in my example VIP host name doesn't exists.
                [grid@~cluster1node1] srvctl config vip -n cluster1node1
                VIP exists.:cluster1node1
                VIP exists.: /192.168.2.121/192.168.2.121/255.255.255.0/eth0
                In your example you have VIP host name. Can you please share your /etc/hosts file please.
                VIP exists: /xxxnode-vip/172.16.5.187/172.16.5.128/255.255.255.128/bondeth0, hosting node xxx
                [oracle@ bin]$ nsloopup 172.16.5.187
                [oracle@ bin]$ nslookup 172.16.5.187
                Server:         172.16.4.132
                Address:        172.16.4.132#53
                Please let me clarify why this is important for me.
                I am configuring Data Guard in RAC (want to create Oracle MAA) so I must create listeners for each instance.
                In listener configuration I must put vip-hostname instead of ip address so I am a little bit confused about that because I haven't VIP host names.
                • 5. Re: Question about VIP
                  912595
                  __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                  Thanks for joining and for clarification.

                  So need I add VIP hosts names to /etc/hosts ? because in my example VIP host name doesn't exists.
                  not required. AS i dont have VIP name in /etc/hosts

                  >
                  [grid@~cluster1node1] srvctl config vip -n cluster1node1
                  VIP exists.:cluster1node1
                  VIP exists.: /192.168.2.121/192.168.2.121/255.255.255.0/eth0
                  In your example you have VIP host name. Can you please share your /etc/hosts file please.
                  I have checked my /etc/hosts and its not there..
                  VIP exists: /xxxnode-vip/172.16.5.187/172.16.5.128/255.255.255.128/bondeth0, hosting node xxx
                  [oracle@ bin]$ nsloopup 172.16.5.187
                  [oracle@ bin]$ nslookup 172.16.5.187
                  Server:         172.16.4.132
                  Address:        172.16.4.132#53
                  Please let me clarify why this is important for me.
                  I am configuring Data Guard in RAC (want to create Oracle MAA) so I must create listeners for each instance.
                  In listener configuration I must put vip-hostname instead of ip address so I am a little bit confused about that because I haven't VIP host names.
                  You are on 11.2.0.1 and you might have configured SCAN Name and you would use SCAN Name istead of VIP address for connection.
                  See this doc for clarification- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e22489/prelinux.htm#BABHCDII
                  • 6. Re: Question about VIP
                    __OUTSIDER___
                    Thanks Ranjit for your help.

                    Let me tell you that I did.

                    I installed Grid Infra. with SCAN, GNS and ASM with 2 nodes. Also I have small DNS server (separate machine) for my Grid environment. Everything works as expected but when I added VIP records in my DNS I received e some warnings in grid alter log.
                    CLSGN-00141: The address "192.168.2.121" already exists.
                      CLSGN-00141: The address "cluster1node1-vip" already exists.
                    2012-05-15 12:34:16.506
                    [/u01/app/11.2.0/grid/bin/orarootagent.bin(5147)]CRS-10001:CLSGN-00133: Exception received:
                    Please tell me do you have VIP IP records in your DNS server? like this
                    cluster1node1-vip       A         192.168.2.121       ;RAC NODE 1 VIP
                    cluster1node2-vip       A         192.168.2.120       ;RAC NODE 2 VIP
                    -----
                    121            PTR       cluster1node1-vip.it.data.
                    120            PTR       cluster1node2-vip.it.data.
                    • 7. Re: Question about VIP
                      912595
                      __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                      Thanks Ranjit for your help.

                      Let me tell you that I did.

                      I installed Grid Infra. with SCAN, GNS and ASM with 2 nodes. Also I have small DNS server (separate machine) for my Grid environment. Everything works as expected but when I added VIP records in my DNS I received e some warnings in grid alter log.
                      Based on you point i.e. you used GNS. Here are lines from oracle doc. hope this will clear your doubts
                      Dynamic IP address assignment using Oracle Grid Naming Service (GNS). If you select this option, then network administrators assign static IP address for the physical host name and dynamically allocated IPs for the Oracle Clusterware managed VIP addresses. In this case, IP addresses for the VIPs are assigned by a DHCP and resolved using a multicast domain name server configured as part of Oracle Clusterware within the cluster. If you plan to use 
                      Pay attention to VIP line above. BTW in any case you should be using SCAN name for any communication
                      • 8. Re: Question about VIP
                        __OUTSIDER___
                        909592 wrote:
                        Based on you point i.e. you used GNS. Here are lines from oracle doc. hope this will clear your doubts
                        Dynamic IP address assignment using Oracle Grid Naming Service (GNS). If you select this option, then network administrators assign static IP address for the physical host name and dynamically allocated IPs for the Oracle Clusterware managed VIP addresses. In this case, IP addresses for the VIPs are assigned by a DHCP and resolved using a multicast domain name server configured as part of Oracle Clusterware within the cluster. If you plan to use 
                        So If I use this method there are no need to have VIP hosts names in /etc/hosts and in DNS? Am I right ?
                        Pay attention to VIP line above. BTW in any case you should be using SCAN name for any communication
                        You mean that in listeners configurations I must use scan name instead of VIPs ? because I following the Oracle MAA best practice document
                        and they used VIPs......


                        for example
                        SUN2.local=
                        (DESCRIPTION =
                        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =  hyperion-vip )(PORT = 1521))
                        (CONNECT_DATA =
                        (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                        (SERVICE_NAME = SUN.local)
                        (INSTANCE_NAME=SUN2)
                        http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/dataguard11g-rac-maa-1-134639.pdf
                        • 9. Re: Question about VIP
                          912595
                          __OUTSIDER___ wrote:
                          909592 wrote:
                          Based on you point i.e. you used GNS. Here are lines from oracle doc. hope this will clear your doubts
                          Dynamic IP address assignment using Oracle Grid Naming Service (GNS). If you select this option, then network administrators assign static IP address for the physical host name and dynamically allocated IPs for the Oracle Clusterware managed VIP addresses. In this case, IP addresses for the VIPs are assigned by a DHCP and resolved using a multicast domain name server configured as part of Oracle Clusterware within the cluster. If you plan to use 
                          So If I use this method there are no need to have VIP hosts names in /etc/hosts and in DNS? Am I right ?
                          Yes
                          >
                          Pay attention to VIP line above. BTW in any case you should be using SCAN name for any communication
                          You mean that in listeners configurations I must use scan name instead of VIPs ? because I following the Oracle MAA best practice document
                          and they used VIPs......


                          for example
                          SUN2.local=
                          (DESCRIPTION =
                          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =  hyperion-vip )(PORT = 1521))
                          (CONNECT_DATA =
                          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                          (SERVICE_NAME = SUN.local)
                          (INSTANCE_NAME=SUN2)
                          http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/dataguard11g-rac-maa-1-134639.pdf
                          Normally we have seperate network for data guard traffic. And SCAN name is used specifically for client connections. You can use SCAN name for DG but its not recommended, just to avoid any performance issue, as more traffic would be there for SCAN. This goes same for VIP as well.

                          For having seperate network for DG , please go through following note
                          Data Guard Physical Standby 11.2 RAC Primary to RAC Standby using a second network [ID 1349977.1]
                          • 10. Re: Question about VIP
                            __OUTSIDER___
                            Sorry Ranjit for late response and thank you for your answers.