This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2012 6:55 AM by andy.colvin RSS

Management network configuration

Yoav Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
Oracle configuration worksheets suggest two option under table 5 : Management Network Configuration Worksheet :

Select which network is used for the database server host name. The options are :
admin network
or
client network.

1) Regarding best practice which network i should choose ?
2) If i choose "admin network" , is that mean that i will not have the option to run exadata/cluster/database command directly from the database host ?

Thanks

Edited by: Yoav on 07:02 13/05/2012
  • 1. Re: Management network configuration
    andy.colvin Oracle ACE
    The compute nodes in Exadata have multiple internal hostnames. If your Exadata is named dm01, the admin (management) network hostname would be dm01db01, while the client hostname would be dm0101. The question you're asking about is which hostname will be the "primary" hostname for the compute nodes. It used to be that it was always the admin network's hostname, but now they're offering a choice. I prefer to keep it with the admin network, so there is uniformity across the rack (there is no client network on the storage servers).
  • 2. Re: Management network configuration
    robinsc Explorer
    Whenr they installed our system it took the admin host names by default. I did n't know there was a choice. So if you want to change the names at a later pointof time is there any standard way to do this or you have to live with what was there before...
    Or do you just edit /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network ?
    Thanks
  • 3. Re: Management network configuration
    andy.colvin Oracle ACE
    robinsc wrote:
    Whenr they installed our system it took the admin host names by default. I did n't know there was a choice. So if you want to change the names at a later pointof time is there any standard way to do this or you have to live with what was there before...
    Or do you just edit /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network ?
    Thanks
    This is a fairly recent change in the configuration worksheets. I wouldn't want to change the hostnames in a cluster, as it could lead to problems inside of grid infrastructure. When changing hostnames or IPs on an Exadata rack, you want to use the ipconf utility, not just change the values in /etc/sysconfig/...

If you change the IP on a cell without ipconf, then you could run in to trouble when patching. We've seen cells that reset to the previous IP after patching when a customer changed the IP without using ipconf.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points