5 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 2:58 AM by 807928 RSS

OSC over Layer 3?

user4397602
      We run Oracle databases on Veritas VCS cluster over Layer 3 on non Sun HW. The Primary and Seconday (Server/SAN) are on different datacenters (1 Mile) on different subnets. Veritas Storage Foundation writes the data to both storage and VCS has worked well for us. We are beginning to consider a move to Sparc T4 HW and ZFS Appliance as storage and Oracle Solaris Cluster 4.0

We found out that OSC 4.0 for Solaris 11 doesn't support Interconnects over Layer 3 and Campus cluster is the only option for that. We'd like to know what complexity is added to Campus cluster compared to standard cluster. Are the licensing costs much higher? Does OSC have something similar to Storage foundation to write to both SAN's.

Also, How does the Solaris cluster community compare OSC with Veritas VCS? We really like the VCS HAGUI tool that is fabulous to use. Does OSC have a similar Graphical management tool?

These questions may sound very basic to some, but any comments and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by: user4397602 on May 16, 2012 2:54 PM
        • 1. Re: OSC over Layer 3?
          We found out that OSC 4.0 for Solaris 11 doesn't support Interconnects over Layer 3 and Campus cluster is the only option for that.
          I'm not sure I understood that statement. You can run a campus cluster over layer 2 you just have to have one broadcast domain between sites for the heartbeat networks. Many years ago (at Sun), my colleagues and I wrote some design papers for the Data Center Reference Implementation which included patterns for LAN and SAN using dark fibre of DWDMs for stretched clusters. We had implementations for both Cisco and Nortel. If you set it up correctly, there shouldn't be any problem using this approach.
          We really like the VCS HAGUI tool that is fabulous to use. Does OSC have a similar Graphical management tool?
          OSC 4.0 does not currently have a GUI.

Tim
          ---
          • 2. Re: OSC over Layer 3?
            user4397602
            Thanks Tim.. I was hoping you'd respond after reading your other detailed responses. When you wrote "You can run a campus cluster over layer 2...", may be I misunderstood your answer.. We want the cluster to operate in Layer 3. Just to clarify - Our current VCS is setup to be clustered across two different subnets. It's a 6 node cluster with three nodes on one subnet and the other on a different subnet. 10.21.x.x and 10.31.x.x. The Cluster interconnects are all routed LLT over UDP through the Network Switches. I was hoping OSC would also work like this. We don't want to stretch Layer2 Vlan's across data centers. Our Networking won't allow it, and besides Veritas VCS and HACMP work over a routed networkl without any issues at our site.

Not having a GUI is a bummer. C'mon, what century are we in :)
            • 3. Re: OSC over Layer 3?
              My point was that you cannot run the Oracle Solaris Cluster heartbeat over layer 3. The heartbeat uses layer 2 only. Also, in general, a Solaris Cluster must have its nodes connect to the same public network. So if you two sites have different subnets, then it's going to be tricky and I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes, lack of a GUI is annoying. I can't comment further on this.

Tim
              ---
              • 4. Re: OSC over Layer 3?
                user4397602
                Thanks Tim for your prompt and excellent response. That answers my question. If OSC needs Layer 2 it may not work for us.
                • 5. Re: OSC over Layer 3?
                  The other thing to consider is using Solaris Cluster Geographic Edition between the two sites. You could run synchronous replication between the sites and have local failover and DR to the remote site. Each site could be primary for some services and backup for the other. There is no need for a quorum device between the sites and the heartbeat can run over layer 3. However, switchover is a manually initiated automated process.

Regards,

Tim
                  ---