3 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 4:06 PM by ShaunSmith RSS

Data Partition & Coherence Cache

Some questions:
      1. Can we use EclipseLink Data Partition to partition/save data into multiple tables in the same database?
      2. When I use JQL to query an entity class which has data partition configured, will TopLink/EclipseLink send queries to all databases which have the data and aggregate results?
      3. If I use Grid Read configuration, will the data from different database share the same cache?

I would appreciate any insights.
        • 1. Re: Data Partition & Coherence Cache
          ShaunSmith
          Hi Wei,
          wguan99 wrote:
          Some questions:
          1. Can we use EclipseLink Data Partition to partition/save data into multiple tables in the same database?
          Yes, for example having multiple data sources each pointing at the same database but different schema is one way to do this. Can you provide more details on exactly what you're looking for?
          2. When I use JQL to query an entity class which has data partition configured, will TopLink/EclipseLink send queries to all databases which have the data and aggregate results?
          Yes, for example if you're using RangePartitioning with Person's with last name starting with A-L associated with one partition/data source and Person's with last name starting with M-Z associated with another partition/data source, a query on Person will query both partitions/data sources and return all results.
          3. If I use Grid Read configuration, will the data from different database share the same cache?
          Yes, TopLink Grid caching is configured at the Entity level independent of the database partitioning strategy.

Shaun
          • 2. Re: Data Partition & Coherence Cache
            Can you provide more details on exactly what you're looking for?

I want to have mutliple tables with the same schema definitions (For example, EXECUTION_JP, EXECUTION_US, EXECUTION_EU). And, one class map to these tables, toplink will partition the data into different tables.
            • 3. Re: Data Partition & Coherence Cache
              ShaunSmith
              The off the shelf Partitioning policies use different connections for different partitions all of which have the same schema. It should be possible to do what you want through some customization.