This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 1:23 PM by 938348 RSS

Error in Add/Replace Bulk Load component - illegal character in XML

938348 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Has anyone ever seen the bulk load component complain about some illegal character in xml? I see this error and not sure what exactly the problem is:

ERROR [SocketReader] - Received error message from server: Character is not legal in XML 1.0

It's a very simple graph - reading data from clover data file and ingesting it straight into Endeca using the out of the box bulk load component.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by: 935345 on May 18, 2012 11:48 AM
  • 1. Re: Error in Add/Replace Bulk Load component - illegal character in XML
    Frank Explorer
    The MDEX Engine requires all data to be valid XML characters, so the Bulk Load Interface should not allow those non-XML characters to be ingested. In 2.2, it was a known issue that such non-XML characters were allowed to be ingested, which would cause errors at query time in the MDEX. This was fixed in 2.3, with the error that you saw.
  • 2. Re: Error in Add/Replace Bulk Load component - illegal character in XML
    938430 Newbie
    To remove invalid characters from the input stream you can use following transformation.
    //#CTL2

// Transforms input record into output record.
    function integer transform() {
       string regex = "([^\\u0009\\u000a\\u000d\\u0020-\\uD7FF\\uE000-\\uFFFD]|[\\u0092\\u007F]+)";
       $0.YourData = replace($YourData,regex,"");

return ALL;
    }
    simple place it in a reformat component and you are good to go.
  • 3. Re: Error in Add/Replace Bulk Load component - illegal character in XML
    938348 Newbie
    Thank you for providing this workaround. The issue is that I`m not sure exactly what field has this illegal character and the logging is not detailed enough to indicate that either. Is there any way to find out so that I can apply this transform to a specific field?
  • 4. Re: Error in Add/Replace Bulk Load component - illegal character in XML
    Alex F Newbie
    Assuming you are on EID 2.3, this transformation will apply the fix to all your string fields and print on your console the fields that had non-compliant XML 1.0 characters.
    //#CTL2

string[] fields;

// Transforms input record into output record.
    function integer transform() {
         $out.0.* = $in.0.*;

for(integer i = $in.0.length() - 1; i >=0 ; i--) {
              if (getFieldType($in.0.*, i) == "string" && getFieldType($out.0.*, i) == "string") {
                   if (!isNull($in.0.*, i)) {
                        string originalValue = getStringValue($in.0.*, i);
                        string newValue = originalValue.replace("([^\\u0009\\u000a\\u000d\\u0020-\\uD7FF\\uE000-\\uFFFD]|[\\u0092\\u007F]+)","");
                        if (originalValue != newValue) {
                             fields[i] = getFieldName($in.0, i);
                        }
                        setStringValue($out.0.*, i, newValue);
                   }
              }
         }

return OK;
    }

// Called during component initialization.
    // function boolean init() {}

// Called during each graph run before the transform is executed. May be used to allocate and initialize resources
    // required by the transform. All resources allocated within this method should be released
    // by the postExecute() method.
    // function void preExecute() {}

// Called only if transform() throws an exception.
    // function integer transformOnError(string errorMessage, string stackTrace) {}

// Called during each graph run after the entire transform was executed. Should be used to free any resources
    // allocated within the preExecute() method.
    function void postExecute() {
         printErr("Fields with non-compliant XML 1.0 characters");
         for(integer i = 0; i < fields.length(); i++) {
              if (fields[i] != null) {
                   printErr(fields);
              }
         }
    }

// Called to return a user-defined error message when an error occurs.
    // function string getMessage() {}
    -- Alex                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points