This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2012 7:47 AM by matthew_morris RSS

Oracle Administration Certification Exam.

938416 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi , I am a bit confused regarding which version of Oracle DBA certification exam(OCA) shall i appear for , there is 10g and 11g and some of my friend told me 11g
is yet to be used in large corporations.
I am new to oracle and IMO i should appear for 10g.

Kindly advice.
  • 1. Re: Oracle Administration Certification Exam.
    HuaMin Chen Pro
    Refer to this
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=50&p_org_id=1001&lang=US
  • 2. Re: Oracle Administration Certification Exam.
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    935413 wrote:
    Hi , I am a bit confused regarding which version of Oracle DBA certification exam(OCA) shall i appear for , there is 10g and 11g and some of my friend told me 11g
    is yet to be used in large corporations.
    I am new to oracle and IMO i should appear for 10g.

Kindly advice.
    Actually, if you are new to Oracle , you should start from at least 9i where things were a lot more in your control. But now, since 11.2 is the latest release and both exams and training is offered for it, IMHO you should choose this.

Aman....
  • 3. Re: Oracle Administration Certification Exam.
    938416 Newbie
    Hi Aman,

Thanks for ur advice ...

Will it be necessary to take training classes ?
    I have experience in 3 other DB and some of my friends are insisting on learning it myself

Any comment ?
  • 4. Re: Oracle Administration Certification Exam.
    matthew_morris Expert
    There are arguments in favor of both 10G and 11G. I can provide some of them, but you have to be the one to decide which is better for you.

As your friends have indicated, 10G is still being used in a significant percentage of companies. I don't believe the part about 11G not yet being used at large corporations, however. I took a quick look for an article that might give information on market penetration but was unable to find anything with numbers comparing the two. However, checking out an online jobs site, I found about even numbers of jobs posted requesting 10G experience as opposed to 11G. Since the whole point of you getting certified in Oracle is to locate a job, this is the main point of interest anyway.

Arguments for getting 11G certified:

11G has been out for four years now. The number of companies with it will continue to grow and the number of companies that still use 10G will continue to shrink.

When 12c comes out, I expect that more companies will exit 10G for 11G, even as early adopters will move from 11G to 12c. When it comes out, being 10G certified will make you two releases behind rather than one.

Arguments for getting 10G certified:

From a job standpoint, your best bet is to be certified in both releases. You can get the 10G certification and upgrade that to 11G. It is not possible to become 11G certified and then obtain a 'downgrade' certification for 10G.

Being 10G and 11G certified 'implies' a longer association with Oracle. It won't be true in your case, and I would recommend not lying to employers about it, but it will make your resume a bit more impressive.

Because 10G is on the way out, you have a better chance of finding used certification books cheap. However, finding new ones may be harder.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points