This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2012 12:49 AM by 938581 RSS

Regarding disable HAIP in Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.2

ravi mishra Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Is there any way we can disable HAIP resource (in Oracle 11.2.0.2) and RAC instance will use Real Private IP (i.e 10.1.2.1) instead of Virtual Private IPs ( HAIP:16.254.17.245 ) for internal commuincation.

SERVER 'A' SERVER 'B'

-----------------------------------------------------
| |
10.1.2.1 10.1.2.2
| |
[LAN 1] [LAN 1]
| |
16.254.17.245 16.254.17.255
| |
-----------------------------------------------------
Thanks
-Ravi
  • 1. Re: Regarding disable HAIP in Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.2
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi Ravi,

no there is no supported way to disable HAIP.
    However what someone could do is overwrite the interconnect for the database with the v$cluster_interconnect.

Any reason for such a request?

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: Regarding disable HAIP in Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.2
    ravi mishra Newbie
    Hi Sebastian,

I appreciate your response. If I has only one Private interface(LAN0) with one standby (LAN1) and Oracle Rac (11.2.0.2) is configured @ HPUX with SERVICEGUARD (HP CLUSTERWARE). HAIP is plumbed on that Private interface (LAN0) but if that LAN interface got failed then SERVICEGUARD will do the failover of all IPs plumbed or configured on
    that Private interface(LAN0) to standby Interface (LAN1) except HAIP because Oracle don't use to plumb HAIP using SERVICEGUARD command so HAIP will be not failover to standby. If i don't have any other active private LAN interface HAIP failover from Oracle will not happen and due to that RAC instance went down. If we update RAC interconnect from HAIP to Real Private IPs and then disable HAIP then this type of scenario Serviceguard will do failover Real Private IPs into standby and inerconnect will work fine even HAIP is down, it will save from RAC failure.
    HAIP will be good if I have multiple Active Private Interface, so i case of fail of one interface HAIP will be transparently moved to other active private lan interface by Oracle Grid (11.2.0.2).
    Disable HAIP will be goof if I have only one interface with one standby , so i case of fail of one interface HAIP will not be moved by Oracle Grid (11.2.0.2) because there is not other active private interface, so in this case ServiceGuard can do the Failover job from active lan to standby.
    Thanks
    -Ravi
  • 3. Re: Regarding disable HAIP in Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.2
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi,

this is a question on how the integration between third party clusterware and Oracle clusterware is done.
    E.g. in the space of Solaris Cluster to get this working, the integration disables the HAIP at the moment, till the integration solves a similar issue you describe.

Regarding HP Service Guard, I expect something similar. At least I expect that HP and Oracle get this functionality working together - whether you only have one interface or multiple.
    However I always try to avoid third party clusterware whereever possible ;)

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 4. Re: Regarding disable HAIP in Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.2
    892531 Newbie
    Hello, I too have the similar issue now.Just configured the RAC in 11.2.0.2 and the 169.254/16 is causing an issue.We have the same IP Range used for backups and what Oracle does is , it diables the backups range and uses 169.. for the Private IP redundancy.

Is there any way i can disable the HAIP, so that i can move smoothly towards the backup also.

Regards,
    Sathish
  • 5. Re: Regarding disable HAIP in Oracle Clusterware 11.2.0.2
    938581 Newbie
    try this..

http://haiponrac.blogspot.co.uk/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points