7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 7:04 PM by Udo

Can not configure Apex listener

Sue
      I'm trying to install Apex listener in standalone mode on Aix 6.1. I'm pasting the output. When trying to go to http://livaixoradev01:8080/apex/listenerConfigure I'm not getting any response - it's just hanging.

$ /usr/java6/bin/java -Dapex.home=/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener -Dapex.images=/ccrrd1_orabin/apex/images -Dapex.port=8080 -jar /ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex.war
      INFO: Starting: /ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex.war
      See: 'java -jar apex.war --help' for full range of configuration options
      INFO: Extracting to: /ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener
      INFO: Using classpath: file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/____embedded/start.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/apex.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/je-4.0.103.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojdbc6.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ojmisc.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/poi-3.6-20091214.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/ucp.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/xdb-11.2.0.jar:file:/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/lib/xmlparserv2-11.2.0.jar:
      INFO: Starting Embedded Web Container in: /ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener
      Enter a username for the APEX Listener Administrator [adminlistener]:
      Enter a password for adminlistener:
      Confirm password for adminlistener:
      Enter a username for the APEX Listener Manager [managerlistener]:
      Enter a password for managerlistener:
      Confirm password for managerlistener:
      Mar 22, 2012 4:37:44 PM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
      INFO: Will deploy application path=/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
      Mar 22, 2012 4:37:44 PM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
      INFO: Not a valid WebApp, will be ignored : path=/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
      Mar 22, 2012 4:37:45 PM ____bootstrap.Deployer deploy
      INFO: deployed application path=/ccrrd1_orabin/apex_listener/apex/WEB-INF/web.xml
      Mar 22, 2012 4:37:45 PM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion
      INFO: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.18-o - Thu Mar 22 16:37:45 EDT 2012
      INFO: Please complete configuration at: http://localhost:8080/apex/listenerConfigure

thanks for any ideas/help,

Sue
        • 1. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
          Udo
          Hi Sue,

from what you describe it sounds like there's a firewall blocking the access to your APEX Listener port.
          Note that there have been several reports on problems with APEX Listener on AIX. Colm posted instructions on how to patch the apex.war on AIX here: {thread:id=2318817}
          I don't think you've reached the state where the issue(s) addressed by that patch would be relevant, as you should at least see a stack trace now, but perhaps you can prepare your apex.war while searching for the network issue.

-Udo
          • 2. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
            Sue
            Hi Udo,

Thanks for your answer. I looked again at the output I pasted below and I noticed the line"Not a valid WebApp". I did a search in Metalink for this string and found Note 1369154.1 :Standalone APEX Listener on AIX Deploy Message:Info: Not a Valid Webapp, Will be Ignored. The conclusion is :

Solution
            Currently there is no fix for this issue.

The workaround is to not use the standalone environment on AIX, instead use a proper web server, such as Weblogic or Glassfish.

Do you have access to Metalink or should I paste the note here ? Can you tell me if this is relevant to my issue ?

thanks,
            Sue
            • 3. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
              Udo
              Hi Sue,

you're right, I missed that line because it's logged as "INFO", which is definetly an inappropriate severity for that kind of failure.
              As far as I remember that issue, the reason actually is in the Oracle XML libraries that conflict with the IBM JDK on AIX. Did you try out the patch described by Colm? There are a few people who solved their problems that way.
              Anyway it's recommended to use a proper JEE container for production environments. I guess this workaround could have removed focus from that issue, and perhaps the internal processes didn't allow Colm's solution to be published officially, because it hadn't been tested on the acutal (non-Oracle) platform.

-Udo
              • 4. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
                Sue
                Hi,

After applying Colm workaround I was able to bring up Apex listener on IBM. However when trying to import an application it's hanging on "Installing Application" - anybody encountered this issue after applying the workaround ?

thanks,
                Sue

Edited by: Sue on May 21, 2012 8:52 AM
                • 5. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
                  Udo
                  Hi Sue,

great to hear you've advanced one step.
                  Do you see any error either in your browser or in APEX Listener's log?
                  One of the possible causes for problems with installing applications could be your APEX tablespaces have run full. In that case, it could take a lot of time until you receive the database message about "unable to allocate..." (more space).

-Udo
                  • 6. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
                    Sue
                    Hi Udo,

Thanks for your answer. You are 100% percent right. The issue was that the tablespace ran out of space.
                    I was surprised that there was no error reported in the alert file and I was also trying to look for some log fie pertaining to the import but could not find one so I have two questions :

1. What do you mean by "it could take a lot of time until you receive the database message about "unable to allocate..." - is there a point when this message should have appeared in the alert file and if yes when ?
                    2. Is there an import log file in APEX and if yes how do I find it ?

As always thanks,

Sue
                    • 7. Re: Can not configure Apex listener
                      Udo
                      Hi Sue,

I'm glad to hear you finally got your APEX Instance with APEX Listener up and running as expected now.
                      1. What do you mean by "it could take a lot of time until you receive the database message about "unable to allocate..." - is there a point when this message should have appeared in the alert file and if yes when ?
                      There should be some ORA-message when you hit the fixed size or extend limit of a tablespace, e.g. ORA-01653. But in many databases, this doesn't happen immediately as the so called "Resumable Space Allocation" feature is in place. See the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17120/schema002.htm]Database Administrator's Guide for details.
                      If the timeout is set high enough it might happen that your client connection (in APEX Listener) will get a timeout before the error occurs and hence you won't see it. I'd expect it to appear in the alert.log as well, but possibly delayed as well. It could even happen that the transaction is rolled back when the connection is aborted by APEX Listeners connection pool (e.g. because AbandonedConnectionTimeout has hit). In that case, the error wouldn't appear at all - a nightmare for troubleshooting...
                      Perhaps it should be considered to disable the resumable-feature in APEX Listener's sessions in a future release.
                      2. Is there an import log file in APEX and if yes how do I find it ?
                      You could import using the command line instead of the application builder and see (and spool) the output of the application script. The application builder itself doesn't provide a log file.

-Udo

P.S.: Please mark this thread as answered if you think your issue is resolved, and also mark any helpful or correct answer accordingly so other users searching for similar issues can spot relevant posts easily.
                      Thanks!