10 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 10:07 PM by Jzanon-Oracle RSS

Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics

Jzanon-Oracle
      Hello people!

Has anyone tried the new Windows Agent x64 for OEM 12c?

I did a try and I was surprised that no basic OS metrics are being collected (CPU %, Memory %, swap %, etc..).
      By the push agent logs the installation was 100% successful, also the agent is up and running. Just very basic information are being retrieved by the agent like platform and OS name.

Am I missing something from the installation? Did you guys see the same behaviour?

Please send me your feedback.

Best Regards,

Jonas Zanon
        • 1. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
          sxkumar
          Did you promote th host to a"managed" state? If not, the host management plug-in has probably not been pushed to th agent. How did you install the agent? Through agent push or manually? If you used the agent push method, you can't miss the target promotion step.
          • 2. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
            Jzanon-Oracle
            Hello,

I did the installation going to "Setup > Add Target > Add targets Manually > Add Host Targets".
            If I install a Linux agent by this way all OS metrics are successfully retrieved.

Didn't see any target promotion step... I only see a promotion step if the install is made by auto discovery procedure.

I did the installation via agent push.
            If I go to "Targets > Hosts" the windows host is there... The OEM knows that there is a windows host in the env, so the management plug-in is probably there.

Regards,

Jonas Zanon
            • 3. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
              Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
              Let me explain you few operation in EM 12C:

*Discovering Unmanaged Hosts in Enterprise Manage
              r*If you want to monitor additional targets on the host where you have installed Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, then skip this section. Such a host is already discovered and monitored as a managed host in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control. However, if you want to add other hosts that are currently not discovered and monitored in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, then configure an automatic discovery of such unmanaged hosts, particularly using the IP scan. For instructions, access the following URL:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24473/discovery.htm#CBAEIAFJ

Note:The unmanaged hosts are discovered using an IP address scan. However, to convert the discovered unmanaged host to managed host, you have to promote it. When you click Promote, you are taken to the Add Host Wizard where you are required to install a Management Agent on that unmanaged host. For instructions, refer to Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Basic Installation Guide.
              If the agent installation fails because the agent image is not available, then download the agent image as described in the following URL:
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24473/self_update.htm#BEHBAGDB

Configuring Automatic Discovery of Targets on Managed Hosts
              After converting unmanaged hosts to managed hosts in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, you must configure automatic discovery of targets on those hosts so that the unmanaged targets running on those hosts can be identified.

For instructions to configure automatic discovery of targets on managed hosts, access the following URL:
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24473/discovery.htm#CBAGJFHC

Checking For and Promoting Discovered TargetsOnce you have configured automatic discovery of targets on managed hosts, you must regularly check for discovered targets so that they can be promoted and monitored in Enterprise Manager Cloud Control.

For instructions to check for and promote discovered targets to managed status, access the following URL:
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24473/discovery.htm#CBAFHEHC

Note:The promotion operation takes care of deploying the corresponding target-specific plug-in to the Management Agent. This happens internally in the background. Therefore, you need not explicitly deploy the plug-ins to the Management Agent using EM 12c console
              • 4. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                Jzanon-Oracle
                Hello,

thanks for your explanation. But what I really need to know is if the Windows Agent 12.1.0.1.0 retrieve some OS performance metrics like CPU%, memory%, swap%, etc...
                By the logs I successfully installed the agent and only very basic metrics about the host are being retrieved. I just want to know if this is normal.

Have anyone installed the Windows Agent 12.1.0.1.0?

Thanks,

Jonas Zanon
                • 5. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                  bigbod
                  Hi Jonas,

What do you see on your Targets -> Hosts -> (Select Server) page?

I see CPU/Memory/File and Network Utilisation (%) graphs.

Selecting "Table View" for Memory Utilisation (for example) show % values being recorded at 5 minute (or less) intervals.

Target Host is Windows Server 2003 (x64). Target Database is 10.2.0.4 (x64). Target Agent is 12.1.0.1 (pushed from 12c CC Windows x64).

Cheers
                  Rod
                  • 6. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                    Jzanon-Oracle
                    Hello Rod,

thanks for you response. That's the problem, all graphs are empty.
                    And if I go to "Host > monitoring > [all metrics] [metric collect settings]" on windows host page I don't see any performance metrics like I see in a Linux host.

My OEM 12c is installed on a Linux x86_64.

Regards,

Jonas Zanon
                    • 7. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                      bigbod
                      Hi Jonas,

Well that definitely doesn't sound right. Not sure how else I can help, but at least I can confirm that the 12.1.0.1 Agent for Windows x64 does upload performance data.

Cheers
                      Rod
                      • 8. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                        Jzanon-Oracle
                        Hello Rod,

thanks for your response I'll try to troubleshoot it now that I know there is something wrong.

Regards,

Jonas Zanon
                        • 9. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                          user8482000
                          I am having the same problem with the windows 64 bit agent. Installed correctly but not showing in OS base metrics. Anyone else seeing this and if so, found a solution?
                          • 10. Re: Windows agent 12.1.0.1.0 collected metrics
                            Jzanon-Oracle
                            Hello,

I don't know for sure what was causing the problem, but I did two things.
                            Synchronized the clock of the windows server and oms sever and added the flag nodosfilewarning on CYGWIN environment variable on .bash_profile of the user that connects to windows server.

export CYGWIN=$CYGWIN nodosfilewarning

Do this and reinstall the agent. If it don't work try to resync the agent.

Regards,

Jonas Zanon