This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 11:29 PM by Dish RSS

android beehive instant messenger client

170460 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Is there a beehive friendly, instant messenger client for android?
I've seen a hacked up beem client and tried it with no success.
[http://kaukovuo.blogspot.com/2010/04/android-beem-xmpp-client-against-oracle.html]

I'm not sure of the parameters to enter to get it to work. This is for Oracle.

I have yourname@oracle.com
pwd: password
resource: ?

under advanced I have:
require ssl
specific server option checked
stbeehive.oracle.com
port 5523

Anyone?
  • 1. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    mpaterso Explorer
    The Beehive Mobile Communicator currently only support iPhone and Blackberry, we may support Android in the future.

SHAPE's IM+ works against Beehive but be aware that they use an intermediate gateway server so your corporate policy may not be ok with that.
  • 2. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    user643316 Newbie
    I also would like to have Android supported on Beehive. I just switched from a WIndows 6.5 device to Android 2.2 and unfortunately have loss this ability. I had to move from Windows since Windows 7 was not going to be supported.

Edited by: user643316 on May 5, 2011 7:09 PM
  • 3. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    584345 Newbie
    You can use xabber as a Messaging-solution..
  • 4. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    685612 Newbie
    And what would be the settings using Xabber?
    Thanks
  • 5. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    jedyer Newbie
    I'm interested in Xabber settings for mobile Beehive IM as well. Could you please post?
  • 6. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    529779 Explorer
    Settings for xabber are fairly straightforward: our server is reachable on the Net of course, I just put in my xmpp login first.name@mybhv.company.fr, password and connected right away.

By comparison, Pidgin was more complicated. If you server name is different than tha part after the '@' then edit the account and set the appropriate value in the 'host' field

hth

David
  • 7. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    888307 Newbie
    I tried what you said above. It has a host and server entry both of which I set to stbeehive.oracle.com. They still didn't connect. I wish there was a log or error message that would tell me what setting I have wrong. I'm going to keep trying but anyone have any quick answers to this.
  • 8. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    894091 Newbie
    the client from Shape's works without any complicated config
    Just go to the Android market and search for SHAPE IM
    The very first one is IM+ (free) install it and use it.
    settings as follows:
    Username: firstname.lastname@oracle.com
    Password: Email password
    Host: stbeehive.oracle.com
    Port: 5223
    Resource: IM+ Android
    Priority : 5
    Secure connection SSL : Enabled
  • 9. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    936394 Newbie
    it now May 2012... 13 months into the future. Do we have an Android client yet?
  • 10. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    911701 Newbie
    It works on IM+

Here is the settings I used
    mail: xyz@oracle.com
    password: password
    Host: stbeehive.oracle.com
    Port:5233 Priority:5
    Resource :oracle_uid-lap(stbeehive)
    check Use old-style SSL

Save and connect
    Hope this is useful

Rohin
  • 11. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    938947 Newbie
    A little Theory explanation ( For tech people):
    XMPP (The beehive uses this chat protocol) by default is on TCP port 5222. This port is blocked on the Oracle firewalls and only 5223 port is available from Internet to the Oracle Network. The chat client needs to be configured for XMPP Protocol on port 5223 to work with Oracle chat. Because Oracle Beehive server only supports basic authentication, SSL is required to protect passwords. That's why the chat client needs to supprot the 'Old stile SSL' authentication. The only Android client that I found (May2012) to explicitly support 'Old stile SSL' authentication is Jabiru. Android App IM+ does work as well, but it uses it's own servers to relay messages and that is a security issue, hence do not recommend to use it.

How to set up Android App. Jabiru for Oracle chat:

Jabiru does not need any registration to use.
    1. On the Accounts tab, you'll see a default account. Either you may alter it or add another one. Get in the settings of that account. Change the name to 'Oracle' for example.
    2. For Jabber ID and password enter your Oracle Beehive ID and password (same as your Beehive E-mail ID and password). For example firstname.lastname@oracle.com .
    3. You'll see a "Resource" tab. You may leive it as it is (Jabiru) or write whatever you like - 'Beehive' for example. This resource name will be seen in your friends' rosters.
    4. In the 'Alternative host' tab write down your server's FQDN name. This will be 'stbeehive.oracle.com'
    5. Server port : 5223
    5. Security mode must be disabled.
    6. Make sure you tick 'Legacy SSL' to enable the 'Old stile SSL' authentication.
    7. And last, do not check the "Compress Traffic" option.

That's it. Tested and worked for me for Jabiru Version 2.2.1 on Android Honeycomb (HTC Desire S). MUC - Group chat works fine as well.
  • 12. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    940124 Newbie
    Tested in:
    Sony Xperia S / Android 2.3.7

Below setting worked fine and can initiate chat. But I am facing a strange problem. All the contact are showing as "Offline" , though actually they are online. I am able to chat with them but their status not getting changed. I have checked by logging into Pidgin from my laptop and those contacts were actually online.

Can you please provide any solution for the same.

Regards,
    -Atish
  • 13. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    552275 Newbie
    Thanks for the post, was struggling with xabber for 2 days. I am new to android and Jabiru was not listed in samsung apps, it was listed in google playstore. It was extremely simple to configure and use.
  • 14. Re: android beehive instant messenger client
    552275 Newbie
    I have registered my android phone and received a mail from beehive team that they launched an IM client for Android users.

As per the mail BEEM is the only certified/supported/approved method to send and receive Oracle instant messages on an Android device. Any other clients/applications that may be in use on the device are in violation of Acceptable Use Policy and must be uninstalled immediately.

Followed the instructions at [BEEM on your Android device|http://my.oracle.com/site/pdit/BusinessOpsIT/Collab/BeemForAndroid] and it works like charm, loving it.

-Thanks,
    Lavanya
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points