I'm working with databases in Java for the first time. This week I studied a lot about Hibernate, and I decided that I will use it to "communicate" with the DB.
However, I have a problem with the character encoding of the database.
What happens: I want to test my app before start changing the company's DB. I would like to test it locally, with a DB which I can "mess up", delete and insert data without risk. Oracle XE does this job. But... the database of the company (which is on the server) is WE8MSWIN1252 encoding, unlike the database Oracle XE installed by default, which has AL32UTF8 encoding (and I can't change it).
I would like to know how to proceed in order to make my local database WE8MSWIN1252 encoding, or some other way to "convert" the WE8MSWIN1252 to AL32UTF8 without any data loss (despite being a test, I would like to have all the data with integrity).
The site where I found that it was not possible to configure the installation of Oracle XE (about encoding): http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Install-Oracle-XE-with-character-set-WE8ISO8859P1, 3. The site even has a link to download a different version of Oracle XE, but it seems no longer exists (only a single version for Windows).
What I want to do is to copy the server's database and, respecting the limits (because I know that the free version of Oracle XE is limited), replicate data locally in order to test my program. But the encoding of the server's database is not the same as the one installed with the Oracle XE.
Note that the Oracle Database Standard and Enterprise editions are downloadable from OTN under a development license. Check the license and see if it fulfills your use case. If it does, install the Standard Edition instead of XE. You can configure it for any supported character set you want.