This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2012 12:15 PM by Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) RSS

Oracle XE's default DB encoding (need WE8MSWIN1252)

939286 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good afternoon.

I'm working with databases in Java for the first time. This week I studied a lot about Hibernate, and I decided that I will use it to "communicate" with the DB.
However, I have a problem with the character encoding of the database.

What happens: I want to test my app before start changing the company's DB. I would like to test it locally, with a DB which I can "mess up", delete and insert data without risk. Oracle XE does this job. But... the database of the company (which is on the server) is WE8MSWIN1252 encoding, unlike the database Oracle XE installed by default, which has AL32UTF8 encoding (and I can't change it).

I would like to know how to proceed in order to make my local database WE8MSWIN1252 encoding, or some other way to "convert" the WE8MSWIN1252 to AL32UTF8 without any data loss (despite being a test, I would like to have all the data with integrity).

Sorry about my english and thanks for the help!

Felipe
  • 1. Re: Oracle XE's default DB encoding (need WE8MSWIN1252)
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Welcome to the forums and I congratulate you on being one of a small handful of developers not willing to throw their code over the cubicle wall and corrupt a production database ... thank you.

What is the source of the information indicating that you can not change the AL32UTF8 encoding of XE? Please post the link. Thank you.
  • 2. Re: Oracle XE's default DB encoding (need WE8MSWIN1252)
    939286 Newbie
    The site where I found that it was not possible to configure the installation of Oracle XE (about encoding): http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Install-Oracle-XE-with-character-set-WE8ISO8859P1, 3. The site even has a link to download a different version of Oracle XE, but it seems no longer exists (only a single version for Windows).

What I want to do is to copy the server's database and, respecting the limits (because I know that the free version of Oracle XE is limited), replicate data locally in order to test my program. But the encoding of the server's database is not the same as the one installed with the Oracle XE.

Thanks!
  • 3. Re: Oracle XE's default DB encoding (need WE8MSWIN1252)
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    If you are referring to 11g XE, it is only available in AL32UTF8 characterset - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#XEINW138

Converting to WE8MSWIN1252, although technically feasible, will most likely cause the database to become corrupt and unusable.

HTH
    Srini
  • 4. Re: Oracle XE's default DB encoding (need WE8MSWIN1252)
    Sergiusz Wolicki (Oracle) Expert
    Note that the Oracle Database Standard and Enterprise editions are downloadable from OTN under a development license. Check the license and see if it fulfills your use case. If it does, install the Standard Edition instead of XE. You can configure it for any supported character set you want.

-- Sergiusz

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points