6 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 3:14 AM by 939564 RSS

    Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation

    939564
      I have a problem in URM 11.1.1.3 German translation override through a custom component.

      I have a OOTB German context localization ww_strings.xlf file present in <oracle middleware home>/ucm/idc/components/Localization/lang/de in URM with a translation entry as

      <trans-unit id="wwWarehouse@002frm">
      <source>Warehouse</source>
      <target>Warehouse</target>
      </trans-unit>

      The Warehouse storage type name is referring to the key 'wwWarehouse' and so i see 'Warehouse' as name in the storage pages.

      when i am overriding this entry key using a custom component with the following entry it does not work and the original translation is shown in the page.
      <@de.wwWarehouse=Archiv@>

      I have checked that the loadOrder is not the issue here and issue is the presence of @002frm keyword.The entry <@de.wwWarehouse@002frm=Archiv@> also does not work

      Any Idea how can i override the translation key.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Ayaskant
        • 1. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
          William Phelps
          Are you trying to translate a BI report, or the string in the web interface?

          I have to ask first:
          - Have you enabled the German locale for Content Server?
          - In your user profile, have you selected German?

          Assuming both answers are yes...

          I wouldn't worry about the XLF/XLIFF file if you are changing the caption in a report - provided the caption can even be translated in the report. URM does some black-magic translation for "certain" select strings in reports. Not sure "Warehouse" is one of them, though.

          I'd avoid trying the <@lang_code.string@> route -- sometimes it works, sometimes not. In your custom component, create a folder structure like "resources/lang/de/ww_strings.htm", and put <@wwWarehouse=Archiv@> in that file.
          • 2. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
            939564
            Hi William,
            Yes both answers are yes. I am in German context.

            It is about the the web interface and not report. In the pages URM shows the out-of-box German translated text as 'Warehouse' based on the xlf file entry. But our customer does not like it and they want 'Archiv' to be shown in German. But in English and other languages they want to the URM default words. Thats the reason i want to override only the German word through the custom component.

            In my custom component i have created the folder structure in all languages and only in /de/ww_strings.htm i am putting the entry <@de.wwWarehouse=Archiv@> and it does not work.
            • 3. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
              William Phelps
              936561 wrote:I am putting the entry <@de.wwWarehouse=Archiv@> and it does not work.
              In the de/ww_strings file, the entry should simply be <@wwWarehouse=Archiv@>, not with the leading "de".
              • 4. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
                939564
                Hi William,
                No it does not work. I put the entry without the 'de' prefix.

                But one thing i observe that other XLF file entry keys which are without @002frm keyword they are very well overridden through the same custom component approach. But this one is not. So i strongly believe that the presence of @002frm keyword in the XLF file entry key is causing the problem. Any idea what is the significance of the word ?

                Thanks
                Ayaskant
                • 5. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
                  William Phelps
                  If we are talking strictly about the string in the web UI, like in a "Browse Storage" menu, the XLF file has no significance. The web UI localization doesn't comes from those files. It comes from a htm based string file. (XLF/XLIFF files are just used for the BI report publishing, and not considered for the web UI.)

                  I'd grep the file system for "wwWarehouse". For a test (and only a test, in a development environment) I'd edit the system files containing that particular German translation string, and see if the problem clears up. If it does, that tells me that you have a load order issue with your component's resource file containing the string, (not the component load order itself.)
                  • 6. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
                    939564
                    Hi William,
                    I also searched for the German translation string for wwWarehouse and i find it only in the XLF file mentioned.

                    Regards
                    Ayaskant