This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 1:14 AM by 939564 RSS

Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation

939564 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a problem in URM 11.1.1.3 German translation override through a custom component.

I have a OOTB German context localization ww_strings.xlf file present in <oracle middleware home>/ucm/idc/components/Localization/lang/de in URM with a translation entry as

<trans-unit id="wwWarehouse@002frm">
<source>Warehouse</source>
<target>Warehouse</target>
</trans-unit>

The Warehouse storage type name is referring to the key 'wwWarehouse' and so i see 'Warehouse' as name in the storage pages.

when i am overriding this entry key using a custom component with the following entry it does not work and the original translation is shown in the page.
<@de.wwWarehouse=Archiv@>

I have checked that the loadOrder is not the issue here and issue is the presence of @002frm keyword.The entry <@de.wwWarehouse@002frm=Archiv@> also does not work

Any Idea how can i override the translation key.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ayaskant
  • 1. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
    William Phelps Expert
    Are you trying to translate a BI report, or the string in the web interface?

I have to ask first:
    - Have you enabled the German locale for Content Server?
    - In your user profile, have you selected German?

Assuming both answers are yes...

I wouldn't worry about the XLF/XLIFF file if you are changing the caption in a report - provided the caption can even be translated in the report. URM does some black-magic translation for "certain" select strings in reports. Not sure "Warehouse" is one of them, though.

I'd avoid trying the <@lang_code.string@> route -- sometimes it works, sometimes not. In your custom component, create a folder structure like "resources/lang/de/ww_strings.htm", and put <@wwWarehouse=Archiv@> in that file.
  • 2. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
    939564 Newbie
    Hi William,
    Yes both answers are yes. I am in German context.

It is about the the web interface and not report. In the pages URM shows the out-of-box German translated text as 'Warehouse' based on the xlf file entry. But our customer does not like it and they want 'Archiv' to be shown in German. But in English and other languages they want to the URM default words. Thats the reason i want to override only the German word through the custom component.

In my custom component i have created the folder structure in all languages and only in /de/ww_strings.htm i am putting the entry <@de.wwWarehouse=Archiv@> and it does not work.
  • 3. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
    William Phelps Expert
    936561 wrote:I am putting the entry <@de.wwWarehouse=Archiv@> and it does not work.
    In the de/ww_strings file, the entry should simply be <@wwWarehouse=Archiv@>, not with the leading "de".
  • 4. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
    939564 Newbie
    Hi William,
    No it does not work. I put the entry without the 'de' prefix.

But one thing i observe that other XLF file entry keys which are without @002frm keyword they are very well overridden through the same custom component approach. But this one is not. So i strongly believe that the presence of @002frm keyword in the XLF file entry key is causing the problem. Any idea what is the significance of the word ?

Thanks
    Ayaskant
  • 5. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
    William Phelps Expert
    If we are talking strictly about the string in the web UI, like in a "Browse Storage" menu, the XLF file has no significance. The web UI localization doesn't comes from those files. It comes from a htm based string file. (XLF/XLIFF files are just used for the BI report publishing, and not considered for the web UI.)

I'd grep the file system for "wwWarehouse". For a test (and only a test, in a development environment) I'd edit the system files containing that particular German translation string, and see if the problem clears up. If it does, that tells me that you have a load order issue with your component's resource file containing the string, (not the component load order itself.)
  • 6. Re: Help needed in URM German translation override with XLF file translation
    939564 Newbie
    Hi William,
    I also searched for the German translation string for wwWarehouse and i find it only in the XLF file mentioned.

Regards
    Ayaskant

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points