4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 8:36 PM by Chad Thompson

Upgrading Java in JDeveloper 11g, Release 2

user13816154
      Hi Everyone !

I'm looking for assistance in upgrading my JDeveloper 11g, Release 2 to Java 7. It's currently listing in the About page, as Version 1.6.0_31 (aka, version 6). I downloaded Version 7 to my Mac OS X Lion, and switched my Java Preferences to "Java 7" in the checkbox. However, when I start the JDeveloper application; the program still lists the older version.

Is it possible to update Java without re-installing the application ?

Thanks !
        • 1. Re: Upgrading Java in JDeveloper 11g, Release 2
          Vinay Agarwal-Oracle
          1. Rename old java6 install location to say java6_old.
          2. Start JDev. This will prompt you to select location for java.exe. Select java7 location here.
          3. You can now safely rename java6_old back to java6.

There are other ways to do this but this should do the trick.

Also jdk location in preference is for the project you create using JDev. The setting you want to change is jdk for the JDev IDE runtime itself.
          • 2. Re: Upgrading Java in JDeveloper 11g, Release 2
            Frank Nimphius-Oracle
            Hi,

see the documentation for how to do it: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26098_01/install.1112/e17074/ojdig.htm#sthref9

Frank
            • 3. Re: Upgrading Java in JDeveloper 11g, Release 2
              John Stegeman
              You should also, of course, check the JDeveloper certification information to verify whether or not your JDeveloper release is certified with JDK 7 (hint: it's not :) )
              • 4. Re: Upgrading Java in JDeveloper 11g, Release 2
                Chad Thompson
                user13816154 wrote:
                Hi Everyone !

I'm looking for assistance in upgrading my JDeveloper 11g, Release 2 to Java 7. It's currently listing in the About page, as Version 1.6.0_31 (aka, version 6). I downloaded Version 7 to my Mac OS X Lion, and switched my Java Preferences to "Java 7" in the checkbox. However, when I start the JDeveloper application; the program still lists the older version.

Is it possible to update Java without re-installing the application ?

Thanks !
                You might also note that because JDeveloper is not supported with Java 7 (yet), you're going to run into big problems on OS X with the new Java 7 JDK and WebLogic.

The WebLogic startup script does a check for the vendor and sets memory parameters based on the java.vendor property: in the case of this new version it notes that the vendor is "Oracle".. then proceeds to set memory parameters for JRockit. The Java 7 install is not JRockit, so startup fails with the "inappropriate commands for JRockit" message.

So, to add to your to-do list: if you want to try Java 7, you'll also need to rewrite your WebLogic startup scripts. :-)