6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 9:17 AM by John O'Toole

I can't create Q-tree index!

Excuse me! I can't create Q-tree index!

SQL> create index LAND_USE_UNITS_INDEX on LAND_USE_UNITS(geom)
      2 indextype is mdsys.spatial_index
      3 parameters('sdo_level=7');
      create index LAND_USE_UNITS_INDEX on LAND_USE_UNITS(geom)
      第 1 行出现错误:
      ORA-29855: 执行 ODCIINDEXCREATE 例行程序时出错
      ORA-13249: internal error in Spatial index: [mdidxrbd]
      ORA-13249: Error in Spatial index: index build failed
      ORA-13206: 创建空间索引时出现内部错误 [Tessellate]
      ORA-13249: Error in spatial index: [mdpridxtessellate]
      ORA-06512: 在 "MDSYS.SDO_INDEX_METHOD_10I", line 10

Please help me ! This problem has been for a long time !
        • 1. Re: I can't create Q-tree index!
          John O'Toole
          Mr/Ms 915145,

Quad tree indexes were deprecated a long time ago. Any particular reason why you are trying to use them? What version of Oracle are you running? If you are on anything higher than 9.1, then use an RTree index instead.

John
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I can't create Q-tree index!
            Thank you for your anwser.My version is Oracle 11g. In order to make an experiment,I want to create Q-tree!
            In fact,I have created a R-tree index successfully,but when I dropped it to create Q-tree, these err appeared!
            This is so strange! I think I need to create a Q-tree index ,so please help me !Thank you very much!
            • 3. Re: I can't create Q-tree index!
              John O'Toole
              Mr/Ms 915145,

It has been about 10 years since I last created a Quadtree index and I have no intention of relearning their quirks - particularly when you didn't give me any sample data and you didn't show me the user_sdo_geom_metadata you are setting. As mentioned in the last post, this feature has been deprecated for a very long time so I am surprised that the code is even still there in 11g.

See the New and Changed Features section of the 10.1 user guide (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B13789_01/appdev.101/b10826/sdo_newfeat.htm)
              >
              Quadtree Indexing Discouraged; R-Tree Indexing Encouraged

The use of spatial quadtree indexes is discouraged. You are strongly encouraged to use R-tree indexing for spatial indexes, unless you need to continue using quadtree indexes for special situations. Significant performance improvements have been made to spatial R-tree indexing for this release.

Almost all information about quadtree indexing has been removed from this guide and placed in a separate guide, Oracle Spatial Quadtree Indexing, which is available only through the Oracle Technology Network.
              I found a copy of the guide referenced in that quote. It is named "Oracle_Spatial_Quadtree_10g1.pdf". If you google for that you'll find a single dead link to an ftp site - click on "quick view" and you'll get a copy of it.

John
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: I can't create Q-tree index!
                Thank you~! I have downloaded the pdf~ Let me read it to find the solution!Thank you very much!
                • 5. Re: I can't create Q-tree index!
                  I have found the solution!
                  The reason is that the extent in the uer_sdo_metadata I've set was not enough to cover the layer!
                  • 6. Re: I can't create Q-tree index!
                    John O'Toole
                    Glad to hear it and thanks for taking the time to tell us how you got it working.