This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 4:49 AM by alabala_kiril RSS

Rehosting JavaFX 1.3 runtimes

ibibby Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
My company has a JavaFX 1.3 application that is part of a suite of tools we sell to mostly government customers. At least some of our customers have closed networks, meaning no access to dl.javafx.com. Furthermore, our application is complex, and can't be migrated to JavaFX 2.0 in any straightforward way (we want to move to it at some point, but it would take more of a rewrite than a migration).

I've found that it's possible to get JavaFX apps to run without access to dl.javafx.com by downloading the javafx-rt.jnlp file and the runtime jars, and then rehosting them on a local web server, or even the local file system, by editing javafx-rt.jnlp and the application's jnlp file to point to the new location.

My questions are:

1) Is this allowed? Are we permitted to rehost the JavaFX 1.3 runtimes in a commercial application?
2) Will the current JavaFX certificate expire, making the application unusable at some point? If so, when?

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Rehosting JavaFX 1.3 runtimes
    802717 Newbie
    Obviously a question for Oracle...

I just want to question your assumption: "our application is complex, and can't be migrated to JavaFX 2.0 in any straightforward way (we want to move to it at some point, but it would take more of a rewrite than a migration)". You are assuming that the JavaFX to Visage move would not be straightforward. My current assumption is that there is a good possibility this particular route will be reasonably straightforward. Do I need to modify my assumption?

Thank you - Chris
  • 2. Re: Rehosting JavaFX 1.3 runtimes
    ibibby Newbie
    Thanks, Chris, I had almost completely forgotten about Visage. Any word on when they're expected to ready for prime time? I'm not sure I want to put all my eggs in that basket unless we're really confident that they're going to have a working product by November at least.
  • 3. Re: Rehosting JavaFX 1.3 runtimes
    802717 Newbie
    We have not tried Visage out at this stage. My understanding, which mostly comes from the odd post here, is that Visage is a working product that is able to convert small projects. I hope I am not being too optimistic here. Unfortunately, because of the large size of our project, all our eggs are in the Visage basket! Either that or write our own translator. If there are any issues I believe that Steve Chin and his team will be there to help. If you like send me an email at chris the_at_sign strandz the_dot org.

~ Chris
  • 4. Re: Rehosting JavaFX 1.3 runtimes
    alabala_kiril Newbie
    I would like also to know the answers to these questions
    1) Is this allowed? Are we permitted to rehost the JavaFX 1.3 runtimes in a commercial application?
    2) Will the current JavaFX certificate expire, making the application unusable at some point? If so, when?
    Can somebody at Oracle shed some light?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points