This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2012 10:59 PM by DarrylBurke RSS

Scrollable JMenu in APIs

Ralph_CC Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Several good people have produced solutions for this : [url http://tips4java.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/menu-scroller/]Here and [url http://www.java.net/node/696241] There
What I want to know is if it is implemented anywhere in a java test ( or any other) package please?. I would like to just use an import statement.
It would be very useful to have. If it isn't where does one lobby for it?
Thanks for any leads,
Ralph.
  • 1. Re: Scrollable JMenu in APIs
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    Ralph_CC wrote:
    Several good people have produced solutions for this : [url http://tips4java.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/menu-scroller/]Here and [url http://www.java.net/node/696241] There
    Thank you for noticing the 'here'
    What I want to know is if it is implemented anywhere in a java test ( or any other) package please?.
    Huh? test?
    I would like to just use an import statement.
    All that reveals is that you don't understand the significance of the import statement. It's just syntactic sugar that allows the compiler to look up the classes you use from their unqualified names. If oyu use fully qualified class and interface names, you don't need imports.
    It would be very useful to have. If it isn't where does one lobby for it?
    If you're talking about lobbying for its inclusion in core Swing, forget about it. Swing is in maintenance mode, read my lips: No New API.

What do you have against using a class that's offered free, albeit with no guarantees and a few known shortcomings that are already pointed out in the comments on the blog page you linked?

db
  • 2. Re: Scrollable JMenu in APIs
    Ralph_CC Newbie
    >
    you don't understand the significance of the import statement.
    Quite probably. You might not realise how new I am to Java programming.
    If you're talking about lobbying for its inclusion in core Swing, forget about it. Swing is in maintenance mode, read my lips: No New API.
    Well someone else was saying they were trying to get their work adopted and I thought something might be happening since the articles were written.
    Does this mean that java in general and swing is fossilizing?, or is it developing elsewhere?.
    What do you have against using a class that's offered free,
    Nothing whatsoever, However I would like to link it rather than including all the source in my programme.
    If possible to a source that might get updates rather than my copy that will not be easily maintained.
    Does this "com.camick.java.source.MenuScroller " do that?. Back to the text book I think.
    Ralph.
  • 3. Re: Scrollable JMenu in APIs
    DarrylBurke Guru Moderator
    Ralph_CC wrote:
    Darryl Burke wrote:
    If you're talking about lobbying for its inclusion in core Swing, forget about it. Swing is in maintenance mode, read my lips: No New API. >
    Well someone else was saying they were trying to get their work adopted and I thought something might be happening since the articles were written.
    Does this mean that java in general and swing is fossilizing?, or is it developing elsewhere?.
    Swing is in maintenance mode. Not core Java. And Swing isn't fossilizing, but the new kid on the block is JavaFX 2.
    What do you have against using a class that's offered free,
    Nothing whatsoever, However I would like to link it rather than including all the source in my programme.
    If possible to a source that might get updates rather than my copy that will not be easily maintained.
    Does this "com.camick.java.source.MenuScroller " do that?. Back to the text book I think.
    There's no "com.camick.java.source.MenuScroller." There is a source code you can download from camick.com.
    Back to the text book I think.
    Focus on understanding the import statement. It doesn't do what you seem to think it does.

db

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points