4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 10:37 AM by Cindys-Oracle RSS

Does Solaris support GPT?

Any idea does the latest version of the Solaris support GPT (GUID Partition Table)?

Thanks,

- Johnny
        • 1. Re: Does Solaris support GPT?
          rukbat
          tanww888 wrote:
          Any idea does the latest version of the Solaris support GPT (GUID Partition Table)?
          Go take a peek in Google.
          Use keyword `gpt` for your search.
          First result: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
          Perhaps leave that Wikipedia reference as a bookmark in your browser, so as to have a reference for changes that might appear.
          See section 6.1 of that Wikipedia entry:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Unix-class_operating_systems

Additionally, using gpt + solaris for Google keywords, there are additional links to be found.

Lastly, here is a forum discussion from September 2010:
          OVM server cannot install on GPT boot partition
          Granted, it involves GPT and Linux, but there are points in there to consider with regards to your choices for hardware.
          • 2. Re: Does Solaris support GPT?
            Cindys-Oracle
            Hi Johnny,

Solaris releases have supported EFI (GPT) for a long time but not for booting.

Are you asking about using GPT for booting in particular?

Thanks,

Cindy
            • 3. Re: Does Solaris support GPT?
              Hi Cindy,

Yes, I have 4x3TB hard disks and I want to setup a raid 10 system using Solaris. If I can't boot it with Solaris, I probably need to add an additional hard disk (smaller capacity) as boot drive.

Thanks,

- Johnny

Edited by: tanww888 on Jun 1, 2012 2:43 PM
              • 4. Re: Does Solaris support GPT?
                Cindys-Oracle
                Hi--

Yes, try to find a smaller root pool disk or even better, two small root pool disks. The root pool
                disks will get an SMI (VTOC) label by default and the installer will also create slices for these disks
                because this a long-standing boot limitation.

ZFS stripes data across all configs so I think you want a mirrored configuration for your 4x3 TB
                disks. This is easy to set up. ZFS will label these disks with EFI (GPT) when you create the pool
                with whole disks, like this:

# zpool create tank mirror c1t0d0 c2t0d0 mirror c1t1d0 c2t1d0

Thanks,

Cindy