4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 2:38 PM by clcarter

Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 Questions

I am thinking about installing Oracle 11g R2 Express Edition on my 64bit Windows 7 laptop. I am wanting to use it to access an Oracle 10g database and develop SSRS 2008 reports against that database.

Here are my questions...

Will the 11g R2 connect to the 10g database?

Will SQL Developer work with the 11g R2 client while connected to a 10g database?

What SQL Developer version is the best to get for developing SSRS2008 reports on the 10g database in this scenario?

If I do the 11g R2 install and it doesn't work, does it uninstall cleanly? I don't want to have any issues with my laptop after the uninstall.

I would appreciate any advise offered.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 Questions
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Pl identify which version of Win 7 - you will require Professional or higher - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#BABGGAJA - Home version is not supported, although some have tried to install it on Home version and have been successful - that does not mean there will be no issues in using the software.

Pl also identify the exact version of "10g" - where is this datbase located ? You should be able to connect to the 10 database from XE.

What is "SSRS" ? I would suggest the latest version of SQL Developer. Why do you need a 11g XE install in the first place ? You should be able to connect to the 10g database directly using SQL Developer.

De-install instructions are here - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#CIHDDHJD - they work as advertised on supported OS versions.

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 Questions
            I have Windows 7 Professional. The latest version of 10g. SQL Developer gives an error that it will not work without the Oracle client installed.

Thanks for the reply.
            • 3. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 Questions
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              SQL Developer does not need an Oracle client to function - pl post exactly what you are doing and the complete error message.

how sql developer connects to a oracle database

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 Questions
                clcarter
                SQL Developer gives an error that it will not work without the Oracle client installed.
                Actually its the oracle client which needs configuration. You have to tell SQLDeveloper how to communicate with a database.

And every server installation includes a client- it also needs configuration, usually via tnsnames.ora.

Out-of-the-box installer sets up an XE tnsalias which points to the XE installation. Host, port, ORACLE_SID or service_name have to be set in the tnsnames.ora file if you don't have OID or another oracle naming service available at your location.

And you'll still need to point the client to the naming service, in sqlnet.ora and ldap.ora files. Same location as the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files.