This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2012 11:43 AM by 767685 RSS

64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2

767685 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

Oracle DB=10.2.0.4 installed on RHL=5

Applications access vis Oracle OLE. Currently, we are updating to Windows 2008 Server (64-bit). I have heard that there are no 64-bit drivers from Oracle, right or wrong? If it is wrong, could you please provide me the link to download it.

If it's not possible, what alternative is there, or any directions from Oracle? ... A re-programmed to ODBC or web services,etc is unfortunately not possible.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards..

Edited by: John-M on Jun 1, 2012 7:14 AM
  • 1. Re: 64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    What "Oracle OLE" are you referring to? The Oracle Provider for OleDB (oraoledb)? Or Oracle Objects for OLE (oo4o)?

There is no 64 bit oo4o, and it's not supported to use 32 bit oo4o on a 64 bit OS (although it seems to work).

There is a 64 bit version of OraOledb that installs with the 64 bit client.

Greg
  • 2. Re: 64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2
    767685 Newbie
    Hello Greg,

Thank you for the reply. I would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more please.
    There is a 64 bit version of OraOledb that installs with the 64 bit client.
    Which DB Client for Microsoft 64-bit from the following Oracle site should work for database 10.2.0.4 version? Is the higher version of 64-bit Client version works with lower version of Database Server?
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winx64soft-089540.html
    There is no 64 bit oo4o, and it's not supported to use 32 bit oo4o on a 64 bit OS (although it seems to work).
    If there is no 64-bit Oracle Object for OLE, then what is the recommended way or workaround when using with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit?

Thank you very much.

Regards..

Edited by: John-M on Jun 4, 2012 2:33 AM
  • 3. Re: 64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    Which are you using then? OO4O or OLEDB?

The OLEDB provider doesn't come with instant client downloads you linked.
    You can get it via a full client install, or if you can also get it via an ODAC bundle (which comes with instant client).
    ODAC is here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html
    I'd probably go with      ODAC112030_x64.zip which uses the OUI to install, but the XCOPY bundle would work too if you don't mind a bit more of a manual process.

The migration path from OO4O is ODP.NET

Greg
  • 4. Re: 64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2
    767685 Newbie
    Hello Greg,

Thanks once again.

I'm sorry, I do not know more than this info because it's from our Customer. I'm not responsible for this kind of thing, but will be happy to suggest them as per your suggestion(s) :) Frankly speaking, I personally do not understand these terms much...

## The link you suggested has 64-bit OLEDB 11.2.0.3, will this work with lower DB version of 10.2.0.4. One of my colleage thinks it should work, isn't it?
    (ODAC112030_x64.zip) Download includes     
    64-bit Oracle Provider for OLE DB 11.2.0.3.0

Regards,
  • 5. Re: 64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    Yes, you can use 11.2 client against a 10.2 database.

Cheers,
    Greg
  • 6. Re: 64-bit OLE drivers for Windows Server 2008-R2
    767685 Newbie
    Thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points