This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 2:49 AM by Prabodh RSS

Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like...?

807627 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi OTNian,
Could you all please help me to understand below :
Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like HTTP sever functionality ?

background of quesion is:
we had hosted our oracle webplsql application using Oracle web tier using DAD configuration.
now some one sugegsted that we can use WLS(Weblogic server) with Apex 4.0,that too can work as HTTP sever for Oracel Webplsql application.
  • 1. Re: Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like...?
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,

>
    You asked:
    Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like HTTP sever functionality ?
    >

OAS = Oracle Application Server
    SAO = Service Oriented Architecture ( this is not a server)
    Oracle Web Tier is a bundle of matching servers for the web tier. Again is not a single server, its a collection.
    APEX = A Rapid Application Development tool for webapplication development.

Oracle Apex runs with a number a J2EE Containers (Application Servers) and Oracle HTTP Server as well. It does not use OAS, only the OHS (mod_pls) and Cache, when configured on OHS.
    APEX web access can be configured with ApexListener in a J2EE Container like WLS, Glassfish,etc.

PLSQL Web applications can be integrated into APEX applications and features, in the loose sense of the term, as they are.

Please search the forum to see what others have been doing for this.

I hope this clears up some aspects of your query.

Regards,
  • 2. Re: Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like...?
    807627 Newbie
    Thanks for valuable input..but some technical architect level guy saying we can host our oracle webplsql application using WLS with Apex 4.0 same as we have hosted it with OAS.

if its possible to host oracle webplsql application over WLS with Apex 4.0, i want to know what changes and configuration it required?

Edited by: tafzal on Jun 5, 2012 5:36 AM
  • 3. Re: Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like...?
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,

Short answer, yes. You can run your applications in this stack.

You need to differentiate between OAS and OHS. PLSQL webapplication, as far as I know, need OHS. They do not really use the OAS, which is for Forms and Reports,etc.

Your existing webplsql application should run without any change in code on ApexListener+WLS stack. Form/Reports 11g also runs on WLS. Apexlistener requires Apex for installation and infrastructure so it needs to be installed in the DB. But your main component is ApexListener.

ApexListener allows you to run procedures through URL just the same way OHS does.

You may have to add patterns that "allow" your procedures to be run in the ApexListener, similar to the way you allow /deny in OHS. But that is all there should be.

Regards,
  • 4. Re: Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like...?
    807627 Newbie
    can any 1 please let me know how to and what configuration required for Migration of OHA/OAS/Web tier runable Webplsq Application to WLS+Apex listener???

i have check its installation docs,but its doesnt address hosting changes required for migration of webplsql application to WLS+Apex listener server.
  • 5. Re: Does Weblogic with Apex 4.0 replaces OAS/SAO/Oracel web tier like...?
    Prabodh Guru
    Hi,

I have not done this type of migration, and I have now forgotten PLSQL Cartridge things.
    From what I see on the internet resources is you have to follow a 2 Step process.
    Step 1: Migrate your applications from OAS to iAS, i.e. PLSQL Cartridge of OAS to MOD_PLSQL of iAS.
    Step2 : Migrate from MOD_PLSQL to ApexListener on WLS.

Fortunately, this looks to be a very straight forward thing.
    See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A97336_01/ias.102/a83709/cart.htm and http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A97338_01/doc/apache.13/a83590/tutorial.htm

>
    i have check its installation docs,but its doesnt address hosting changes required for migration of webplsql application to WLS+Apex listener server.
    >

There may be no document, but you can infer from your above 2 step process.
    You are on OAS, so step 1 is required. Step 2, as far as I can see, will be trivial.

Regards,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points