This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 3:54 AM by 862820 RSS

XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt

862820 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am sure there is a simple solution to why this is not working, but I am not able to figure out the reason though.

I have an xml like - <VersionGroup inactive="false" enabled="false">

This is just a node from a much bigger xml and it will be futile to put that big one here.
I was trying read the value of the 'enabled' attribute, using <xsl:key>defined like - <xsl:key name="versionGroup" match="X/Y/Z/VersionGroup" use="@inactive"/>

and in the core XSLT, get the value of the enabled flag using - <xsl:variable name="verGpEnabled" select="key('versionGroup', 'false')/@enabled"/>

If I do the - '<xsl:value-of select="$verGpEnabled"/'> this prints the correct o/p of the value of 'enabled' attribute, based on whether it is true or false.

However when I tried using this as a condition using <xslt:when> e.g - <xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled = 'true'">, or <xsl:when test="boolean('$verGpEnabled') = true()">, or something similar using <xslt:if> also, the results is always true, even if 'enabled' attribute is valued - 'false'.

Following example will make it more clear -

If the xslt is like -

<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled = 'true'">
<xsl:text> TRUE </xsl:text>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled = 'false'">
<xsl:text> FALSE </xsl:text>
</xsl:choose>

Here the o/p is always TRUE even if the enabled attribute is false.
Would appreciate any help on this.

Best Regards -
  • 1. Re: XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt
    odie_63 Guru
    Hi,

What's your XSLT processor?

This works on Saxon and Oracle's :
    <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
     <xsl:key name="versionGroup" match="/Root/VersionGroup" use="@inactive"/>
     <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:variable name="verGpEnabled" select="key('versionGroup', 'false')/@enabled"/>
       <xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled='true'">
       <xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled='false'">
     </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>
    applied on
    <Root>
     <VersionGroup inactive="false" enabled="false" />
    </Root>
  • 2. Re: XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt
    862820 Newbie
    Hi odie_63,

I am using XML Spy's processor, but actually that shouldn't be a problem. Because when I took your example, I am seeing the results in a correct way. Let me re-look at the huge XML which I have and take that particular node to see if there is an issue there. For obvious reasons I cannot post my whole XML and XSLT here, but let me try to bring to a point where I can post the exact snippet of the xml and xslt, without causing any security/violation concerns and we'll see whats happening there.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt
    tsuji Journeyer
    It should be noted that xsl:key acts like a index of pages with the selected keywords... The return of the keyword can be a set of pages where it appears. Same here. If it actually returns a kind of node-set, the boolean test will be cast to true if it is not empty.

Hence, you've to decide the position (ie, which one) you want to test or do a xsl:for-each on the return and decide how you want to true/false being appeared over the set. Take the simplest case of position interested is always the first node, this will be done like this.
    <xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled[1] = 'true'">
    <xsl:when test="$verGpEnabled[1] = 'false'">
  • 4. Re: XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt
    odie_63 Guru
    tsuji, you're right on this one.

I disregarded the possibility of having a node-set in my test, but obviously if it's the case, the test will evaluate non-emptiness as true.
  • 5. Re: XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt
    tsuji Journeyer
    Hi odie,

I feel terribly sorry that I mislead myself on this one and on the way mislead you. Though the multiplicity of the return is on the right track, the deduction was done a bit too hash.

Here is the correct systematics.

[1] If the key return nothing, no node-test will ever be done. Hence, there won't be a worry of error neither a print out of either TRUE or FALSE. The xsl:choose just let pass, since the op's version does not contain a branch xsl:otherwise (that's why).

[2] Where the return of the key is one node or multiple node, and suppose it contains true or false like this (true, false, false,...) or whatever. This is the reason why thing happened.

[2.1] It actually depends then on the order of xsl:when. If <xsl:when test="... = 'true'"> comes before the one of testing false, then if the set (true, false, etc...) contain ever one (at any position), it will make a success test. I mean even this order (false, ..., true,...) or (true,...,false,...). If the order of appearence of xsl:when testing true and false is reversed, ie, <xsl:when test="...='false'"> comes before the ='true', the same set containing both true and false entries will be this time as it 'false' won out. (It is not pretty for that dependence on the order of xsl:when.)

[2.2] If the return set contains only false, ie, (false, false,...), then xsl:when for false will win out and this time xsl:whe for true has no chance. Same for the case (true, true,...) with opposite effect.

[3] The return symbolically represented (..., true, ... , false, ...) may even behave very closely with xslt 2.0 (though here it is not xslt 2.0, it still is xslt 1.0) sequence. Hence, the ordering, by chance according to the capprice of the xslt author, plays the role clearly. Since (..., true, ... , false,...) = true is a truthful statement, and that (..., true, ... , false, ...) = false (symbolically) is also a truthful statement if it is a xslt 2.0 sequence proper.

I try to rectify the misfortunate misleading detail, and here I've done so. Sorry again!

Edited by: tsuji on Dec 2, 2011 4:19 AM
  • 6. Re: XML value of boolean not getting read correctly by xslt
    862820 Newbie
    I was able to solve it.

Sachin

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points