This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 11:16 AM by user10630473 RSS

Back to Solaris HA basics

user10630473 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Everybody,

Calling all Solaris cluster gurus.

Please excuse the basic question in this post, I am new to Solaris clustering and even worse am a windows guy!

I am researching high availability options for the Solaris Operating System and have been reading varying walk troughs and of course the Oracle / Solaris clustering documentation.

Now the thing that is unclear to me is the Quorum Server, is it mandatory to have a third server performing this role or can each node of the cluster act as the quorum server similar to Microsoft Failover Cluster Services?

Like I say please excuse this as I know it's back to basics but I am learning here, BTW does anyone have any recommended reading material or walk throughs to help a Soaric Cluster newbie?

Many Thanks

Mike
  • 1. Re: Back to Solaris HA basics
    807928 Journeyer
    A Solaris Cluster system generally needs a quorum device to stablise cluster membership when failures occur. The quorum device can be a quorum disk (one of the shared disks) or a quorum server. Most clusters use a quorum disk. This is simply one of the shared disks, but that doesn't stop that disk being used for data as well.

For more details, see:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23623_01/html/E25373/cacfchja.html#scrolltoc

Regards,

Tim
    ---
  • 2. Re: Back to Solaris HA basics
    user10630473 Newbie
    Many thanks,

This is the same approach a Microsoft, I was confused by a couple of articles that only mentioned Quorum Servers and didn't mention disks at all.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by: user10630473 on 11-Jun-2012 11:16

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points