This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 6:25 AM by Tom Petrus RSS

Apex 4.0 Ondemand Process -- Ajax Callbacks

912385 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am dynamically creating a HREF link in my Apex report using SQL. this links invokes an Ajax Process on the same page.

The process is an on Demand Ajax Call back that calls a Stored Proc.

All seems to work as expected, with one small issue, A blank page is displayed once the process is called, the process page does not return back to the page it was called from. Can someone let me know where i am going wrong.

This is the Query i use to create a dynamic HREF via my Report SQL ...Notice the <a href...> syntax. The name of the process flow is CALL_PROCESS_FLOW

select "RUN_ID",
"JOB_NAME",
"JOB_START_DATE",
"JOB_END_DATE",
'Ajax' SP1
from "#OWNER#"."VW_JOB_CONTROL"
where job_name='CLN_INPATIENT_FCE'

I have tried getting rid of the colons after the name of the process flow. I have also tried the same with and without the # at the end. However it still returns the same error.

Can some one help. I know its something small but i just can seem to figure it out.
  • 1. Re: Apex 4.0 Ondemand Process -- Ajax Callbacks
    VC Guru
    KP wrote:
    Hi,

I am dynamically creating a HREF link in my Apex report using SQL. this links invokes an Ajax Process on the same page.

The process is an on Demand Ajax Call back that calls a Stored Proc.

All seems to work as expected, with one small issue, A blank page is displayed once the process is called, the process page does not return back to the page it was called from. Can someone let me know where i am going wrong.

This is the Query i use to create a dynamic HREF via my Report SQL ...Notice the <a href...> syntax. The name of the process flow is CALL_PROCESS_FLOW

select "RUN_ID",
    "JOB_NAME",
    "JOB_START_DATE",
    "JOB_END_DATE",
    'Ajax' SP1
    from "#OWNER#"."VW_JOB_CONTROL"
    where job_name='CLN_INPATIENT_FCE'

I have tried getting rid of the colons after the name of the process flow. I have also tried the same with and without the # at the end. However it still returns the same error.

Can some one help. I know its something small but i just can seem to figure it out.
    I don't think you are making an ajax call here and you are just invoking the APEX application process via URL

Use the below javascript function to make a call ajax
    function myAjaxProcess() {
    var get = new htmldb_Get(null,$v('pFlowId'),'APPLICATION_PROCESS=CALL_PROCESS_FLOW',$v('pFlowStepId'));
     //invoke it now
     gReturn = get.get();
    // you can alert the ajax call back
    //alert(gReturn);
    }
    Replace your href value (href="f?p=&APP_ID.:2:&SESSION.:APPLICATION_PROCESS=CALL_PROCESS_FLOW:::::#")

like this
    href="javascript:myAjaxProcess();"
  • 2. Re: Apex 4.0 Ondemand Process -- Ajax Callbacks
    912385 Newbie
    VC,

Works a Treat mate!!

Thanks a ton for the quick reply.

Regards,

KP
  • 3. Re: Apex 4.0 Ondemand Process -- Ajax Callbacks
    Tom Petrus Expert
    I don't mean to be pedantic or anything, but i'd just like to mention the un-ajax-ness of htmldb_get for a second here. The call is synchronous, as is evident with get.get() : you are simply waiting here for the call to finish and then continue. True ajax is asynchronous, and has you providing a callback handler.
    So, i'd just like to drop this here, as an example and alternative :-)
    $.post('wwv_flow.show', 
           {"p_request"      : 'APPLICATION_PROCESS=CALL_PROCESS_FLOW',
            "p_flow_id"      : $v('pFlowId'),
            "p_flow_step_id" : $v('pFlowStepId'),
            "p_instance"     : $v('pInstance')
           },
            function(data){ 
             //handle the return here
             alert(data);
            }
           );
  • 4. Re: Apex 4.0 Ondemand Process -- Ajax Callbacks
    VC Guru
    Tom wrote:
    I don't mean to be pedantic or anything, but i'd just like to mention the un-ajax-ness of htmldb_get for a second here. The call is synchronous, as is evident with get.get() : you are simply waiting here for the call to finish and then continue. True ajax is asynchronous, and has you providing a callback handler.
    So, i'd just like to drop this here, as an example and alternative :-)
    $.post('wwv_flow.show', 
    {"p_request"      : 'APPLICATION_PROCESS=CALL_PROCESS_FLOW',
    "p_flow_id"      : $v('pFlowId'),
    "p_flow_step_id" : $v('pFlowStepId'),
    "p_instance"     : $v('pInstance')
    },
    function(data){ 
    //handle the return here
    alert(data);
    }
    );
    Excellent! and even I like this because it uses jQuery.

But the above code was just an example using apex API's which uses native JavaScript and not jQuery.
  • 5. Re: Apex 4.0 Ondemand Process -- Ajax Callbacks
    Tom Petrus Expert
    VC wrote:
    Excellent! and even I like this because it uses jQuery.

But the above code was just an example using apex API's which uses native JavaScript and not jQuery.
    I understand it was an example :-) It's just that i frequently see people use and mention htmldb_get, perhaps without fully realizing what it does and means, and i wanted to shed a little light on that.
    Even so, htmldb_get is an undocumented feature; though it's not like to be removed real soon seeing how it is used in each and every apex javascript.

And on the topic of native javascript vs jQuery: i'd always prefer jQuery in web development - but that is another discussion.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points