7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2012 3:16 PM by Peter Hartgerink RSS

Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)

Peter Hartgerink
      Problem :
      I am running Win7 x64 on my laptop.

Want to install XE 11.2 but it doesn't support 64 bit Windows

Solution :
      Install VBox
      Install Oracle Linux 5.2 as guest OS inside VBox
      Install XE 11.2 on Linux platform

Question :
      Is there an installation guide for Oracle Linux 5.x? I have not found any installation guides or any other documentation for Oracle Linux in the Technet documentation library.

This is my first time installing any flavour of Linux. There are quite a few options and I'm not always sure what is the best one to choose. An installation guide would be helpful.
        • 1. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
          If you have VirtualBox installed on your machine, you can then mount the Oracle Linux ISO image in VirtualBox and start the installation. Follow the steps:

1) Start VirtualBox, Click the "New" icon.

2) Just follow the wizard to configure your virtual machine.

3) Select your newly created virtual machine and click the "Settings" icon.

4) Change the boot order to boot from CD/DVD. Then go to Storage and Select the image that looks like a CD. On the right you can then click the CD in the "Attributes" area. It will pop up "Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file...", so you then point it to the Oracle Linux ISO image you downloaded.

5) Then start the Virtual Machine by clicking the "Start" icon (ie. the one on the right hand side of the "Settings" icon).

6) You should be able to install Oracle Linux by following the wizard. Usually the default value works, or you can always use Google to Google it, or you can use Bing to Google it.

Just follow the steps above and report back if you have further issues...
          • 2. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
            Peter Hartgerink
            Thanks, this worked. I ended up following the wizard (even before seeing your reply) and everything seemed to go OK. Oracle XE 11.2 next.
            • 3. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
              Peter Hartgerink
              Rayson,

The first time I tried the install using your instructions, I had no problem. However after a few days I uninstalled VBox thinking I wouldn't need it after all. Now I have decided that I need to re-install it. The VBox installation was easy, and Linux 5.2 was going fine until I got to this message (<<The Enterprise Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Enterprise Linux CD and press OK to retry>>). I did change the boot order so that the CD/DVD drive would be checked first, and didn't encounter any issues with drive recognition at the outset of the installation. I do have the Enterprise Linux DVD in my CDROM drive, but I keep getting this message. Any ideas?
              • 4. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
                Dude!
                You can start a virtual machine using a real DVD or a disk image file as outlined in step 4 of the previous message. It looks like you did not burn the .iso disk image correctly and your DVD is missing the hidden bootloader and therefore cannot be used. Can you use the DVD to start your computer?
                • 5. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
                  Peter Hartgerink
                  The DVD does contain a boot.iso file and I used it successfully the previous time around to install Linux. I also remember having this problem before and getting past it, but can't remember how.
                  • 6. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
                    Dude!
                    In order to boot from DVD it needs to have a boot sector or loader just like a hard drive. Does your computer boot from the DVD? You may need to capture the host DVD device from the VirtualBox Devices menu prior to resetting the virtual machine.
                    • 7. Re: Installing Oracle Linux 5.2 on VBox (for XE 11.2)
                      Peter Hartgerink
                      It turns out that the driver for the CD/DVD drive was not loading properly since a Windows 7 Professional upgrade. Once I rectified this, the installation proceeded with no further issues. Thanks for the help.