8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 3:15 AM by Nicolas.Gasparotto RSS

NLS_CHAR

user522961
      Hi,
      what are the recommended values for
      NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET
      NLS_CHARACTERSET

When installing Oracle for FSCM 9.1 and Tools 8.52 ?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: NLS_CHAR
          Nicolas.Gasparotto
          It depends if you want Unicode or not.

Nicolas.
          • 2. Re: NLS_CHAR
            user522961
            Thank you Nicolas.
            In both cases :

-For UNICODE ?

-For Non UNICODE ?

Can you also give me the link for Install document for FSCM9.1 ? I did not find it here : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17566_01/epm91pbr0/eng/psbooks/psft_homepage.htm
            Regards.
            • 3. Re: NLS_CHAR
              Nicolas.Gasparotto
              user522961 wrote:
              Thank you Nicolas.
              In both cases :

-For UNICODE ?

-For Non UNICODE ?
              Please, read the chapter "+Task 1-5-3: Selecting a Database Character Set+" of the installation guide linked below.
              Can you also give me the link for Install document for FSCM9.1 ? I did not find it here : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17566_01/epm91pbr0/eng/psbooks/psft_homepage.htm
              Here you go :
              http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26530_01/psft/html/docset.html

Nicolas.
              • 4. Re: NLS_CHAR
                user522961
                Nicolas,
                link is for PeopleSoft PeopleTools 8.52 Install Documentation and FSCM9.1.

Thanks again.
                • 5. Re: NLS_CHAR
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  The application you are installing does not matter actually to define back-end settings such as characterset. So, link for PTools Install Guide is valid.

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: NLS_CHAR
                    user522961
                    Thank you.
                    • 7. Re: NLS_CHAR
                      user522961
                      Hi,
                      in tools 8.52, oracle DB 11 R2, non-unicode (AL16UTF16) three months ego, I have created some databases with NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS=BYTE. We reloaded them by datamover and ....
                      I was not careful to documentation which said :
                      You are required to set the NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS=CHAR init.ora parameter for any PeopleSoft
                      installation.

My questions :

-is it a great mistake ?

-any solution to avoid reconstruct and ???

Thank you.
                      • 8. Re: NLS_CHAR
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        It's not a mistake since you're on non-uinicode database.
                        From the documentation you're talinkg about, you could also read the following : +"PeopleSoft PeopleTools 8.48 and later introduced the ability to utilize an Oracle feature called CHARACTER LENGTH SEMANTICS for Unicode databases."+ That means in your case having the default value BYTES is the proper value.
                        So, is it a problem ? Well, it is a problem only the day you will want to change from non-unicode to unicode.
                        How to fix it ? I'm afraid, you'll have to rebuilt every single SYSADM's table after setting the parameter to CHAR and bounced the db.
                        But as long as you working in a non-unicode environment, you should not be so worried.

Nicolas.