10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 8:22 AM by Matthew Morris RSS

Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g

Kirupa2
      Hi All,

I am a 11g OCP and Need to upgrade my ocp to 11g and i got he information i need to write 1Z0-055.

Can anyone suggest me good book to prepare for this test.

kirupa
        • 1. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
          Matthew Morris
          I am a 11g OCP and Need to upgrade my ocp to 11g...
          If you are asking for a book for 1Z0-055, I assume your first '11G' was meant to be '9i'. I am aware of only one book for 1Z0-055. Since I wrote it, I think it's good, but I cannot say what your opinion of it would be. If you do happen to decide to get it, I'd love to have some feedback. If you have any specific questions about the book, feel free to ask. The URL on Amazon is:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/147749992X/
          • 2. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
            Kirupa2
            Hi Yes typo i am 9i ocp and need to go for 11g ocp...

I saw your book on amazon.

Kirupa
            • 3. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
              Matthew Morris
              Well you have at least three other options beyond my book.

1. The 1Z0-050 test has about 80% commonality with 1Z0-055. You cold get the Oracle Press book for that certification and most of the topics for 055 will be in there. You could look up the remaining topics in the documentation.
              2. You can use the topic list from Oracle Education and go through the documentation for all of the topics.
              3. There is a practice test from Self Test Software (and presumably one from Transcender as well since they are both Kaplan). You can use the practice test as a means of studying. I don't recommend this method, but it is possible.
              • 4. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                bigdelboy
                >

I've elobarated on some of Michaels' points, the 'you' refers to orginal poster.
                Well you have at least three other options beyond my book.
                Just to comment I did purchase Matthew's book for 1z0-450(apexOCE) for my iPAD(mk1)/kindle. I occasionally dabble with Apex, and intended to last week but have been diverted to disk juggling instead. Assuming Matthew's 1z0-055 book is similar to his one for 1z0-450 I would assume a number of candidates would find Matthew's book useful for gap analysis (working out one's weakness's against the topics ... this becomes especially useful as one approaches exam standard and for experienced practioners) and could also be useful for assisting as a guide in expounding the scope of the topic. If I were to take 1z0-450, and were to use Michael's book as part of journey, I currently estimate it might help increase my exam score by 5%-10% or alternatively save me 2/3 weeks study. (NB: I have only come across Matthew in this forum due to his recent good work on the forum that I respect; I have had associations with his company at times in the past but do not at this moment in time).

>
                1. The 1Z0-050 test has about 80% commonality with 1Z0-055. You cold get the Oracle Press book for that certification and most of the topics for 055 will be in there. You could look up the remaining topics in the documentation.
                If you search this forum for the 1z0-050 book you may see fairly or unfairly some bad comments or references to mistakes in it. I cannot say if these are right or wrong, or if they only affect part of the book. In all events if you use the book check the errata which i assume may correct some of the problems:

http://www.mhprofessional.com/search/results.php?init=1&sort=relevance&search_terms=1z0-050&x=0&y=0
                http://www.mhprofessional.com/downloads/products/0071496823/0071496823_errata.txt

You may find it worth cross checking with the topics from 1z0-052 / 1z0-053; your might find one of these oracle press/sybex books relevant; but the commonality might only be 30%. That said you might might find a book on rman / asm or oracle 11g(r2?) new features just as useful. It all depends on your gaps.

2. You can use the topic list from Oracle Education and go through the documentation for all of the topics.
                You should always be doing this; or at least prepared to do this when your your sources are unclear. I have done certification journey's this way; it can be hard work (but not as bad as it first might seem) but ultimately rewarding and one does get to know the documentation well.
                3. There is a practice test from Self Test Software (and presumably one from Transcender as well since they are both Kaplan). You can use the practice test as a means of studying. I don't recommend this method, but it is possible.
                The test with Transcender brand is usually priced higher but may have a study guide and a couple of extra learning tools. Check with Kaplan.

Edited by: bigdelboy on 17-Jun-2012 07:21 ( For some unknown reason I referred to Matthew as Michael when I wrote this post .. my sincere apologies and I hope I have not corrected this).
                • 5. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                  Matthew Morris
                  Assuming Michael's 1z0-055 book is similar to his one for 1z0-450...
                  Matthew, not Michael. My 1Z0-450 book is unlike any of my other guides because that test is the odd duck of all the Oracle tests I've seen. In most of the Oracle certification exams I've taken, the questions are almost completely about key facts and functions. The 1Z0-450 test has a good bit of that, but it also has a large number of questions that are on the interface itself. The 450 test cries out for a simulator. I wrote an Ezine article about studying for the Apex test this weekend that goes into more detail. It hasn't finished the review process yet so is not published but should be late this week.

Bigdelboy -- if you'd like to have one of my books for review, I'll send you a copy of any one you choose. If you have a LinkedIn profile, you can contact me through that. My profile is: http://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewrmorris
                  • 6. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                    Kirupa2
                    Thanks mathew

i have placed order of your book in amazon...hope it will help me for certification

kirupa
                    • 7. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                      Matthew Morris
                      Kirupa:

I hope you enjoy the book. I did want to make one distinction in response to what you said. I guarantee that my study guide will help you to pass the test. What I will not (and can not) guarantee is that it will be sufficient in and of itself for you to pass the test. I don't believe that any single source of knowledge should be used in isolation when preparing for an Oracle certification. If you have been using 11G for some time and are fairly familiar with its features, then my guide in conjunction with the knowledge you already have will likely be sufficient to pass the exam. If you know nothing about 11G at all, I would certainly recommend that you use the Oracle documentation in addition to my guide. In particular, the following two documents can be useful:

Oracle 11.2 New Features:
                      http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22487.pdf

Oracle 10.2 New Features
                      http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214.pdf

I will note that the new features documentation tends to contain both more and less information than you need. They contain a number of features that will not show up on the test and much of what they have is not detailed enough for the test.
                      • 8. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                        Kirupa2
                        Thanks for your document

I am already working on 11gR2.I think it will be useful guide for me to start with..

kirupa
                        • 9. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                          user12957218
                          Hi Matthew, how do I purchase your guide in pdf format out of US?
                          • 10. Re: Need to upgrade my OCP to 11g
                            Matthew Morris
                            The book doesn't exist in PDF format. There are e-book versions on the Kindle and the Nook. I think Nook is just the US, but I have Kindle sales in the UK, Germany, France, and Spain. I don't know where you are. My understanding is that the Kindle version can be bought and downloaded directly from Amazon.com to be used on any reader that can read the Kindle format (and a PC-reader download from Amazon is free).

The paperback version is now being printed in the UK and Europe as well as the US and I believe Amazon will ship them anywhere.