8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 9:07 AM by tinku981 RSS

9i OCA to 11g OCA

Prazy
      Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade from 9i OCA to 11g OCA.

Obtained the 9i OCA by completing 1Z0_007 & 1Z0_047 in early 2008. so it is basically a prometic ID, I just requested to merge it with an Oracle Testing ID.

I see that 11g OCA needs the same set of exams to be taken. so is any upgrade exams to be taken to acquire 11g OCA or will it be possible for me to go for 1Z0_146 to acquire 11g OCP directly.

Sorry it the question is so lame but I'm really confused.

Regards,
      Prazy
        • 1. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
          Ulric
          See here:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:Datab11g

Since you have already passed 1Z0-007 and 1Z0-047, you only need to pass 1Z0-052 for 11g OCA.
          • 2. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
            Prazy
            Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I suppose my question was incomplete.

I'm looking for OCA 11g PL/SQL Developer and not administrator.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:PLSQL

So what should be done to obtain OCA 11g taking that I've already got my 9i OCA pl/sql developer by completing 007 and 047.

Does it mean I qualify for 11g OCA Pl/SQL Developer and I can take 1Z0_146 for obtaining OCP 11g pl/sql developer?

Regards,
            Prazy
            • 3. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
              Matthew Morris
              Prazy:

1Z0-007 is Introduction to Oracle9i SQL
              1Z0-047 is Oracle Database SQL Expert

Those don't combine to a PL/SQL OCA certification -- neither is a PL/SQL course. I assume you meant 1Z0-147: Program with PL/SQL.

That said, Oracle doesn't tag PL/SQL certifications to releases as it does DBA certifications, so there is no 'upgrade' exam for PL/SQL. If you have a PL/SQL OCA, then taking 1Z0-046 would grant you Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional. Note that there is still no release associated with the cert.
              • 4. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
                Prazy
                Hi Matthew,

That answers my question, Thanks for clearing my doubt.

Regards,
                Prazy
                • 5. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
                  bigdelboy
                  matthew_morris wrote:
                  Prazy:

1Z0-007 is Introduction to Oracle9i SQL
                  1Z0-047 is Oracle Database SQL Expert

Those don't combine to a PL/SQL OCA certification -- neither is a PL/SQL course. I assume you meant 1Z0-147: Program with PL/SQL.

That said, Oracle doesn't tag PL/SQL certifications to releases as it does DBA certifications, so there is no 'upgrade' exam for PL/SQL. If you have a PL/SQL OCA, then taking 1Z0-046 would grant you Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional. Note that there is still no release associated with the cert.
                  Minor typo here methinks:

then taking 1Z0-046 would grant you Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional.

should be either:

then passing 1Z0-146 would grant you Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional.

or

then passing 1Z0-046 would grant you Oracle Database 10g: Managing Oracle on Linux for Database Administratorsl.

• 6. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
                    Matthew Morris
                    Yes -- there seems to be a definite shortage of 1's in this thread. 1Z0-047 instead of 1Z0-147 in the initial post and then 1Z0-046 instead of 1Z0-146 in mine. Might be time to stock up on 1's before speculators start buying them up and the price skyrockets.
                    • 7. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
                      bigdelboy
                      matthew_morris wrote:
                      Yes -- there seems to be a definite shortage of 1's in this thread. 1Z0-047 instead of 1Z0-147 in the initial post and then 1Z0-046 instead of 1Z0-146 in mine. Might be time to stock up on 1's before speculators start buying them up and the price skyrockets.
                      don't worry ... i just feel glad i am not the only one who does typos etc ... and I have done far worse .. especially when I forget to include the word 'not' ;) ...
                      ... And not in this thread ... bu I am amazed by the number of candidates who cannot tell the difference between 'O' and '0' when typing exam codes!

These is also some ambiguities on the certifcation dscription page iteself :

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=155#section3 hyperjumping to http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:PLSQL

* Advanced Professional Certification Path – Option 1 : Has the exam code after the exam name ... everything else is the other way round (Trivial bu basic).
                      * The associate certification path for Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate has 'Oracle Forms Developer Certified Professional' as next steps but omits 'Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional' as a next step.
                      * Oracle Forms Developer Certified Professional omits the 1z0-151 option and only has 1z0-141.
                      * As written 'Advanced Professional Certification Path – Option 2' is redundant as it is already covered by 'Advanced Professional Certification Path – Option 1'
                      * However my unstanding is that for holders of the retired exam 1z0-101 ( in place of 1z0-147/1z0-144) it is possible to achieve PL/SQL OCP without PL/SQL OCA first ... and in the context only 'option 2' makes sense. However IMHO without considering retired exams 'option 2' is more confusing than helpful. Obviously 1z0-001 options are possible, but omitted as confusing).

( I have outstanding a task to exam carefully another of these but it is not one in my zone so much so i'd need to find time ...... and i am more of asr33 man than a gui man).
                      • 8. Re: 9i OCA to 11g OCA
                        tinku981
                        I understand that to get "Oracle Advanced PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional", one can clear:
                        a) Pass 1Z0-007
                        b) Pass 1Z0-147
                        c) Pass 1Z0-146

My query is that I have already cleared 1Z0-007 and 1Z0-147 but in Oct-2008. So to clear this certification do I need to re-appear all the 3 exams as they were given in 2008 or just 1Z0-146 is enough.

Thanks in advance,