3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 10:47 AM by Runndn2-Oracle RSS

What is the Account and Contact workflow or best practice?

I'm just learning the use of the web services. I have written something to upload my customers into accounts using the web services. I need to now include a contact for each account. I'm trying to understand the workflow. It looks like I need to first call the web service to create the account, then call a separate web service to create the contact and include the account's ID with the contact to that they are linked, is this correct?

Is there a place I can go to find the "best practices" for work flows?

Can I automatically create the contact within my call to create the account in the web service?

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: What is the Account and Contact workflow or best practice?
          Runndn2-Oracle
          When you say 'workflow' are you talking about CRMOD workflows?

What I think you are saying is you are trying to create a account with a contact at the same time with a web service call - and no CRMOD workflows are involved.
          • 2. Re: What is the Account and Contact workflow or best practice?
            Probably a poor choice of words. Sorry.

So basically, I have gotten further, but I just noticed related problem.

I'm using the WebServices(WS) 1.0. I insert an account, then, on a separate WS call, I insert my contacts for the account. I include the AccountID, and a user defined key from the Account when creating the Contact.

When I look at my Contact on the CRMOD web page, it shows the appropriate links back to the Account. But when I look at my Account on the CRMOD web page, it shows no Contacts.

So when I say workflow or Best Practice, I was hoping for guidance on how to properly write my code to accomplish all of the necessary steps. As in this is how you insert an account with a contact(s) and it updates the appropriate IDs so that it shows up properly on the CRMOD web pages.

Based on the above, it looks like I need to, as the next step, take the ContactID and update the Account with it so that their is a bi-directional link.

I'm thinking there is a better way in doing this.

Here is my psuedocode:

AccountInsert()
            AccountID = NewAcctRec
            ContactInsert(NewAcctRec)
            ContactID = NewContRec
            AccountUpdate(NewContRec)

Thanks,
            • 3. Re: What is the Account and Contact workflow or best practice?
              Runndn2-Oracle
              NP/ just trying to clarify :-)

If you see a contact that you created and assoicted with the account on the contact page, you must of did it correctly. On the account page are you displaying the contacts? If you manually add another account to a contact on the UI does it show up in the account screen?