4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2012 4:55 PM by vladodias RSS

WebLogic 9.2 : Log files are not rotating properly

Hello,

In Weblogic 9.2, i have mentioned the log archive directory to rotate log files on the basis of size (2 MB) and also checked the flag to rotate the file on startup of server so there are only two possibilities of rotation that is

1. Either reach file size upto 2 MB
      2. On startup of server

Lets take an example step by step

1. I started server, a file e.g. running.out00142 is created.
      2. Now running.out size is reached again upto 2 MB then a new file named running.out00143 should be created.
      3. yes the file is created into the archive folder but every time when next file is created the first file running.out00142 is getting increase and exists till server restarts
      4. Total file contains is 15 but the first file is getting increased and exists till server restart.

Can anyone help me
      Thanks in advance
      sushilkhera@gmail.com
        • 1. Re: WebLogic 9.2 : Log files are not rotating properly
          vladodias
          Hi,

That's a weird behaviour...

I had a problem with a non rotating log once and I found out that the domain and the server log were pointing to the same file and then they were locking each other.

Non-rotating logs are usually caused by weblogic being unable to rename the old file, either because of locking or file/directory rights.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
          Vlad

Give points - it is good etiquette to reward an answerer points (5 - helpful; 10 - correct) for their post if they answer your question. If you think this is helpful, please consider giving points
          • 2. Re: WebLogic 9.2 : Log files are not rotating properly
            Hi,

Thanks for your reply but rotation is happening but not correct means

Log files are rotating but the first file size is getting increased on every file rotation and the first file exists till next server startup.

Thanks & Regards
            Sushil Khera
            • 3. Re: WebLogic 9.2 : Log files are not rotating properly
              vladodias
              Hi,

Are you using nodemanager to start/stop the server?

Normally the .out log files are generated by nodemanager and the .log files are generated by the domain/servers.

I'm under the impression they are both (nodemanager/server) trying to log into the same file...

Cheers,
              Vlad

Give points - it is good etiquette to reward an answerer points (5 - helpful; 10 - correct) for their post if they answer your question. If you think this is helpful, please consider giving points
              • 4. Re: WebLogic 9.2 : Log files are not rotating properly
                vladodias
                Hi Sushil Khera,

Have you fixed the issue at all?

I had a look at one of my WLS 9 here and there are two logs domain.log and AdminServer.log, each has its own configuration on Admin Console. Do you have a similar situation there?

Cheers,
                Vlad