3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 8:10 AM by 863633 RSS

Weblogic installation problem [sys-package-mgr can't wite index file]

Bhaskar
      Hi Webloigic Experts,

I am installing weblogic (11g)on Solaris platform in silent mode. While installer is kicked off its throws some error that can't write the index and cache file. However the weblogic is successfully installed.

I have done a bit googling found this is know issue with WLST but facing with weblogic installer for the first time. I have changed the /var/tmp dir permission 777 but no luck.

Please help me.

The execution trace is following:

-bash-3.2$ java -d64 -jar /spare/software/wls1034_generic.jar -mode=silent -silent_xml=/software/response/silent.xml
      Extracting 0%....................................................................................................100%
      21-Jun-2012 14:08:28 java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$2 run
      INFO: Created user preferences directory.
      sys-package-mgr: can't write cache file for '/spare/software/wls1034_generic.jar'
      sys-package-mgr: can't write index file
      sys-package-mgr: can't write cache file for '/spare/app/oracle/product/Middleware/wlserver_10.3/server/lib/weblogic.jar'
      sys-package-mgr: can't write cache file for '/spare/app/oracle/product/Middleware/wlserver_10.3/server/lib/weblogic.jar'
      INFO: succeed: read domain from "/u01/app/oracle/product/Middleware/wlserver_10.3/samples/domains/medrec-spring"
      21-Jun-2012 14:10:44 [THREAD: runScript] com.oracle.cie.domain.script.ScriptExecutor output
      INFO: succeed: update domain
      21-Jun-2012 14:10:44 [THREAD: runScript] com.oracle.cie.domain.script.ScriptExecutor output
      INFO: close template
      INFO: succeed: close template

Many Thanks,
      Bhaskar

Edited by: Bhaskar on Jun 21, 2012 6:24 AM
        • 1. Re: Weblogic installation problem [sys-package-mgr can't wite index file]
          Fabian
          Hi Bhaskar,

This message appears because WLST creates a temporary directory (for example, on Solaris it is /var/tmp/wlstTemp) that gets shared by all users and it is unable to differentiate between users. As a result, access to the directory gets blocked when the user accessing the directory is not the one who originally created the directory.

Please go through the Problem ID CR280837 in the below link,

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E1317901/common/docs102/relnotes/issues.html_

Workaround: Manually adjust directory permissions.

You Can try the below solution as well

Start the scripting tool with one the following options to redirect the cache files to the specified directory. Dependent on your environment one or the other will apply.

java -Djava.io.tmpdir=<path-to-tmpDir> weblogic.WLST
          or
          java -Dpython.cachedir=<path-to-tmpDir> weblogic.WLST

Regards
          Fabian
          • 2. Re: Weblogic installation problem [sys-package-mgr can't wite index file]
            Bhaskar
            Thanks Faiban for your effort.

Sorry for late reply.

When I am invoking through java command (as mentioned by you) it is not throwing any error but in the shell if I run ./wlst.sh then it keeps throwing the same error. I was wondering while installing the weblogic how this parameter can be passed, especially in silent mode installation.

Cheers,
            Bhaskar
            • 3. Re: Weblogic installation problem [sys-package-mgr can't wite index file]
              Hi Bhaskar,

Am new to weblogic and in the learning stage. Can you please post me the steps for installing WL on solaris 10. please kindly mail me.

Thanks,
              Karthick T Y
              tykarthick@gmail.com