1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 6:49 AM by veltror RSS

Samba 3.6.5 install problems

Hi all, I'm trying to update my samba 3.5.10 to 3.6.5 due to security CVE issued with 3.5.

I downloaded and unzipped, did the make and make install and the ./configure.
      I didn't use any changes to it and it said it installed correctly added it to my path and it looks like it's operating correctly.

This is my first install from source type install and I'm really really confused.
      if I use smclient -L //server/servershare -U username it connects correctly to the domain, and shows all available shares, however; typing smbclient -V gives me 3.5.10.

If I goto the install path of where this new version was installed of /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient it gives me 3.6.5 but I receive the error of NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.

I don't know honestly what I'm doing wrong, and after trying countless things I've realized a few things.

1: samba is installed in multiple places.

/usr/bin/smbclient gives 3.5.10
      /usr/sfw/bin/smbclient gives 3.5.10
      /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient gives 3.6.5

2: It appears, while I did install it, it didn't install correctly due to it being in multiple places.

3: something somewhere is incorrect but I don't know what to do to fix it.

Is there an easy way to fix this? If so, I would really appreciate some help.

• 1. Re: Samba 3.6.5 install problems
          check your path, but when samba was upgrade to a new version there were new

To fix the samba issue if you have sym links it will fail so you will need this

unix extensions = no
          follow symlinks = yes
          wide links = yes

You also need to copy /etc/sfw/private/* /etc/samba/private/ if you do not have anything in there
          cp /etc/sfw/smb.conf /etc/samba

And then clear and start samba.

The patch changed between certain versions so that is why you appear to have a couple of versions, so i would guess there is a sfw early in your path