1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 11:30 PM by Todd Little-Oracle RSS

tuning thread tuxedo number

Hi all !

I have 2 questions.

1/ We wish to confirm that the choices which we made in sizing of thread tuxedo number is good. The parameter to modify is "MIN" in “ubbconfig” file SERVERS Section.

If the number of thread is punctually insufficient, it is going to generate stakes in line of calls which are waiting the time when is reduced. I wish to obtain an indicator as the number max of calls in line to know if this situation occurs. Do you know which indicator we can use to know if this situation occurs? How to proceed otherwise?
      Remark: I do not have not TSAM to do this easily.

So, how do I fix the appropriate tuxedo server number optimized to have minimum waiting before request consumed by an available server?

2/ I set MSSQ because I have only one queue and several Tux servers with the same service exposed
      I think in this case I must put LDBAL parameter to N to avoid overhead, Is this Correct?
      Example : the svcstar binary exposes the STAR service in UBBCONFIG
      # STAR
      svcstar
      SRVID=6
      SRVGRP=STARGRP
      REPLYQ=Y
      RQADDR=STARQ01
      CLOPT="-r -s STAR -o /users/txmprdc1/logs/stdout -e /users/txmprdc1/logs/stderr"
      MIN=4

Thanks a lot for your help !
      Laurent LEROUX
        • 1. Re: tuning thread tuxedo number
          Todd Little-Oracle
          Hi Laurent,

Actually the MIN parameter in the *SERVERS section defines how many copies (processes) of the server Tuxedo will boot by default.  MINDISPATCHTHREADS and MAXDISPATCHTHREADS determines the number of threads a multi-threaded Tuxedo server will use.

As to determine if there enough copies or threads, generally you need to determine the maximum amount of concurrency your hardware can handle. So the normal procedure is to use a load test and increase the load until queues start to build up for the servers. This can be observed in tmadmin with the psr or pq commands. Once the work queued starts to increaser, check to see if there is a bottleneck resource (typically CPU). If not, then you need to increase the number of copies or threads (or both.) Keep doing that until you reach a system bottleneck such as CPU, database I/O, disk I/O, etc. At that point, you know you have sufficient servers or threads to be able to fully utilize the hardware resources available.

For MSSQ, you can still enable load balancing, LDBAL, although if there is only a single MSSQ set, there won't be any load balancing to do. Still I usually recommend enabling load balancing so if you decide to add additional servers or MSSQ sets, Tuxedo will load balance the requests across them.

Regards,
          Todd Little
          Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect