3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2012 10:04 AM by 783124 RSS

Re-importing FDM application from XML not removing deleted objects/records

I migrated our FDM application from one environment to the next environment, by exporting the FDM application from the source environment to an XML file and subsequently importing the FDM application XML file in the target environment. This appeared to work fine.

After some updates were then applied to the source environment, I re-exported the FDM application to an XML file, and re-imported this in the target environment.

However, I have noticed that:
      - Import Scripts that were deleted in the source application still remain in the target application.
      - Mappings that were deleted in the source application still remain in the target application.
      - Extra mappings that were added in the source application have been added to the target application.

So we now have duplicate mappings in several tables and scripts that should have been deleted in the target environment!

It appears that the "Import" process is more of an update, rather than a drop and replace. There is no "replace" option on the import process. Can anyone please advise how one should correctly migrate an FDM application between environments? At present, it seems to me that the whole application will need to be completely dropped/deleted (including the SQL database/Oracle schema) and re-imported all over again from scratch.

Surely there must be a better method?!!
        • 1. Re: Re-importing FDM application from XML not removing deleted objects/records
          SH
          No there isn't a better method. Also the importing of an updated application xml file over an existing application cannot be guarenteed to provide the expected results, it is not designed for incremental updates. Depending on what you want migrate/update you can, either export to Excel in source and re-import in the target or for items such as scripts you can simply copy them into the appropriate directories on the target. Failing that it's good old manual updates ... enjoy ;-)

Or you can go for the nuclear option you've mentioned at the end of your post!
          • 2. Re: Re-importing FDM application from XML not removing deleted objects/records
            Thank you for your quick response.

I really expected there to be a more robust migration process in place for FDM than this. Oracle just phoned (I have just raised an SR on this) and they have confirmed this to be the case.

Here's hoping they provide such functionality in the future!
            • 3. Re: Re-importing FDM application from XML not removing deleted objects/records
              Here is Oracle's response for anyone else who requires further information on this:

"Hello,

The Import of the .xml files in terms of application creation is meant as a 'once only' event and a result is not meant as a method of post-create administration of the application. Any further imports will just add metadata to the application not replace or merge. If you wish to migrate an application via this method then you will need to get the source application into the state required for the migration then migrate this as a whole. Please note that this will only migrate the metadata of the application.

The other method of migration as you have mentioned in the SR description, is via the database which will migrate the entire application with data.

Please see KB article 806173.1 which gives instructions on the two methods, both of which are the only recommended methods. Please review the article to suit your requirements.

Thanks"