1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 11:00 AM by 872796 RSS

cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g

I just installed Oracle Personal, but the command emctl start fbconsole will not run - it gives a not found error message.
      IT says OC4J Configuration issue followed by a long path and I followed the path to OC4J_DBCONSOLE.
      the file not found is referring to that path plus the folder name continues which is in the format my host name : my SID
      I have no such folder under OC4J_DBCONSOLE I have 4 folders under it that are spplication-deployments, config, connectors, and META-INF.

Bsaed on the long error message it looks like the last folder in the path is actually "j2ee" and the rest beginning with OC4J_DB_CONSOLE plus hostname plus SID is the missing file name.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this? How does this long file get created?
        • 1. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
          sb92075
          869793 wrote:
          I just installed Oracle Personal, but the command emctl start fbconsole will not run - it gives a not found error message.
          IT says OC4J Configuration issue followed by a long path and I followed the path to OC4J_DBCONSOLE.
          the file not found is referring to that path plus the folder name continues which is in the format my host name : my SID
          I have no such folder under OC4J_DBCONSOLE I have 4 folders under it that are spplication-deployments, config, connectors, and META-INF.

Bsaed on the long error message it looks like the last folder in the path is actually "j2ee" and the rest beginning with OC4J_DB_CONSOLE plus hostname plus SID is the missing file name.

Can anyone tell me how to correct this? How does this long file get created?
          I suspect that you need to create the repository
          • 2. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
            Srini Chavali-Oracle
            Unknown Oracle version
            Unknown OS version
            Unknown error message

How to ask a question
            SQL and PL/SQL FAQ

HTH
            Srini
            • 3. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
              Version: PERSONAL ORACLE 116 RELEASE 11.0.2.0.3.0
              error message does not have a number like ORA-99999. It is OC4J Configuration issue. <long path name followed by long file name> not found.

Can you send me a link to a manual or good instructions on how to create the repository?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
              • 4. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                Pl see the fine documentation -

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/dbcontrol002.htm#ADMIN13410

HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                  Osama_Mustafa
                  try to recreate it
                  emca -dbcontrol db -repos drop
                  emca -dbcontrol db -repos create

Thank you
                  Osamamustafa.blogspot.com
                  • 6. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                    I entered the emca...drop and create commands but they did not work as I still get the same error message about file not found when I run emctrl start dbconsole.

When I typed in the drop and the command commands, both ended after displaying about 5 lines of information that looked like help info about all the paramteres than can be entered, almost as if I had typed a command /h to get syntax help. Finally at the end of the display, it said "Note. for desktop class install always pass paramter ORACLE_HOSTNAME as "localhost" to any emca command.

Does this mean I should enter this: emca -dbcontrol db -repos drop <mypcname> as "localhost" or does it mean I literally spell out the words "ORACLE_HOSTNAME" in place of where I wrote mypcname?

I also got this same note message after entering the create command.
                    Thanks for your help.
                    • 7. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                      sb92075
                      are you 100% certain that EM is supported on Personal Edition?
                      • 8. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                        I am not 100% certain of anything about Oracle.

It is a good guess that EM is supported because I did not download the emca bat file separately but it came with the installation of Oracle.
                        I had an Oracle tech support guy help me with the installation hwo told me to run dbconsole when I asked what kind of tool comes with it to do things like import, export, display table structures and keys, and browse the data without having to do this all in sql plus. I will try to continue this with him next week, unless you have something else I can try. I also tried to run "emctl status dbconsole" and got the exact same error message about file not found as when I tried to start it.
                        • 9. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                          sb92075
                          $ORACLE_HOME/bin/emca -config dbcontrol db -repos recreate
                          • 10. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                            Srini Chavali-Oracle
                            I have not installed Personal Edition myself, but the docs state that all of the features in EE (except Management Packs) are available PE - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm#CJADFHGH

@OP - pl post the contents of the EM logs for the last emca command you issued

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/dbcontrol001.htm

HTH
                            Srini
                            • 11. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                              Here is the output I got from running emva...drop & create

Thank you for looking at it

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
                              Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\steve>emca -dbcontrol db -repos drop
                              C:\app\steve\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\bin\emca.bat [operation] [mode] [dbType] [f
                              lags] [parameters]

-h | h | -help | help: prints this help message
                              -version: prints the version

-config dbcontrol db [-repos (create | recreate)] [-cluster] [-silent] [-backup]
                              [parameters]: configure Database Control for a database
                              -config centralAgent (db | asm) [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: configure cen
                              tral agent management
                              -config all db [-repos (create | recreate)] [-cluster] [-silent] [-backup] [para
                              meters]: configure both Database Control and central agent management

-deconfig dbcontrol db [-repos drop] [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: de-confi
                              gure Database Control
                              -deconfig centralAgent (db | asm) [-cluster] [ -silent] [parameters]: de-configu
                              re central agent management
                              -deconfig all db [-repos drop] [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: de-configure b
                              oth Database Control and central agent management

-addNode (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: configure EM for a newly added node
                              for a database

-deleteNode (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: de-configure EM for for a databas
                              e on node getting deleted

-addInst (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: configure EM for a new RAC instance
                              -deleteInst (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: de-configure EM for a specified R
                              AC instance

-reconfig ports [-cluster] [parameters]: explicitly reassign Database Control po
                              rts
                              -reconfig dbcontrol -cluster [-silent] [parameters]: reconfigures RAC Database C
                              ontrol deployment

-displayConfig dbcontrol -cluster [-silent] [parameters]: displays information a
                              bout the RAC Database Control configuration

-migrate -from dbcontrol -to centralAgent [-repos drop] [-cluster] [-silent] [p
                              arameters]: migrates EM configuration from Database Control to central agent

-upgrade (db | asm | db_asm) [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: upgrades an earl
                              ier version of the EM configuration to the current version

-updateTargets crs [-silent] [parameters]: updates new crs home for all dbcontro
                              l and central agents on crs upgrade

-restore (db | asm | db_asm) [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: restores the cur
                              rent version of the EM configuration to an earlier version

Parameters and Options:
                              [parameters]: [ -respFile fileName ] [ -paramName paramValue ]*
                              db: perform configuration operation for a database (including databases that use
                              ASM)
                              asm: perform configuration operation for an ASM-only instance
                              db_asm: perform upgrade/restore operation for a database and an ASM instance
                              -repos create: create a new Database Control repository
                              -repos drop: drop the current Database Control repository
                              -repos recreate: drop the current Database Control repository and recreate a new
                              one
                              -cluster: perform configuration operation for a RAC database
                              -silent: perform configuration operation without prompting for parameters
                              -backup: configure automatic backup for a database

Parameters for single instance databases
                              ORACLE_HOSTNAME: Local hostname
                              SID: Database SID
                              PORT: Listener port number
                              ORACLE_HOME: Database ORACLE_HOME
                              LISTENER_OH: Listener ORACLE_HOME
                              HOST: Listener Host
                              HOST_USER: Host username for automatic backup
                              HOST_USER_PWD: Host user password for automatic backup
                              BACKUP_SCHEDULE: Automatic backup schedule (HH:MM)
                              EMAIL_ADDRESS: Email address for notifications
                              MAIL_SERVER_NAME: Outgoing Mail (SMTP) server for notifications
                              ASM_OH: ASM ORACLE_HOME
                              ASM_SID: ASM SID
                              ASM_PORT: ASM port
                              ASM_USER_ROLE: ASM user role
                              ASM_USER_NAME: ASM username
                              ASM_USER_PWD: ASM user password
                              SRC_OH: ORACLE_HOME for the database to be upgraded
                              DBSNMP_PWD: Password for DBSNMP user
                              SYSMAN_PWD: Password for SYSMAN user
                              SYS_PWD: Password for SYS user
                              DBCONTROL_HTTP_PORT: Database Control HTTP port
                              AGENT_PORT: EM agent port
                              RMI_PORT: RMI port for Database Control
                              JMS_PORT: JMS port for Database Control
                              EM_SWLIB_STAGE_LOC: Software library location
                              PORTS_FILE: Path to a static file specifying the ports to use (Default v
                              alue : ${ORACLE_HOME}/install/staticports.ini).

Additional Parameters for cluster databases
                              CLUSTER_NAME: Cluster name
                              DB_UNIQUE_NAME: Database unique name
                              SERVICE_NAME: Service name
                              EM_NODE: Database Control node name
                              EM_NODE_LIST: Agent Node list [comma separated]

Note: For Desktop Class Install always pass parameter ORACLE_HOSTNAME
                              as "localhost" to any emca command

C:\Users\steve>emca -dbcontrol db -repos create
                              C:\app\steve\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\bin\emca.bat [operation] [mode] [dbType] [f
                              lags] [parameters]

-h | h | -help | help: prints this help message
                              -version: prints the version

-config dbcontrol db [-repos (create | recreate)] [-cluster] [-silent] [-backup]
                              [parameters]: configure Database Control for a database
                              -config centralAgent (db | asm) [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: configure cen
                              tral agent management
                              -config all db [-repos (create | recreate)] [-cluster] [-silent] [-backup] [para
                              meters]: configure both Database Control and central agent management

-deconfig dbcontrol db [-repos drop] [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: de-confi
                              gure Database Control
                              -deconfig centralAgent (db | asm) [-cluster] [ -silent] [parameters]: de-configu
                              re central agent management
                              -deconfig all db [-repos drop] [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: de-configure b
                              oth Database Control and central agent management

-addNode (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: configure EM for a newly added node
                              for a database

-deleteNode (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: de-configure EM for for a databas
                              e on node getting deleted

-addInst (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: configure EM for a new RAC instance
                              -deleteInst (db | asm) [-silent] [parameters]: de-configure EM for a specified R
                              AC instance

-reconfig ports [-cluster] [parameters]: explicitly reassign Database Control po
                              rts
                              -reconfig dbcontrol -cluster [-silent] [parameters]: reconfigures RAC Database C
                              ontrol deployment

-displayConfig dbcontrol -cluster [-silent] [parameters]: displays information a
                              bout the RAC Database Control configuration

-migrate -from dbcontrol -to centralAgent [-repos drop] [-cluster] [-silent] [p
                              arameters]: migrates EM configuration from Database Control to central agent

-upgrade (db | asm | db_asm) [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: upgrades an earl
                              ier version of the EM configuration to the current version

-updateTargets crs [-silent] [parameters]: updates new crs home for all dbcontro
                              l and central agents on crs upgrade

-restore (db | asm | db_asm) [-cluster] [-silent] [parameters]: restores the cur
                              rent version of the EM configuration to an earlier version

Parameters and Options:
                              [parameters]: [ -respFile fileName ] [ -paramName paramValue ]*
                              db: perform configuration operation for a database (including databases that use
                              ASM)
                              asm: perform configuration operation for an ASM-only instance
                              db_asm: perform upgrade/restore operation for a database and an ASM instance
                              -repos create: create a new Database Control repository
                              -repos drop: drop the current Database Control repository
                              -repos recreate: drop the current Database Control repository and recreate a new
                              one
                              -cluster: perform configuration operation for a RAC database
                              -silent: perform configuration operation without prompting for parameters
                              -backup: configure automatic backup for a database

C:\Users\steve>emctl start dbconsole
                              OC4J Configuration issue. C:\app\steve\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2/oc4j/j2ee/OC4J_DB
                              Console_steve-Laptop_XESTD not found.

C:\Users\steve>set
                              ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
                              APPDATA=C:\Users\steve\AppData\Roaming
                              asl.log=Destination=file
                              CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
                              CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
                              CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
                              CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
                              COMPUTERNAME=STEVE-LAPTOP
                              ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
                              FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
                              HOMEDRIVE=C:
                              HOMEPATH=\Users\steve
                              LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local
                              LOGONSERVER=\\STEVE-LAPTOP
                              NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=3
                              OnlineServices=Online Services
                              ORACLE_HOME=C:\app\steve\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2
                              ORACLE_SID=XESTD
                              ORACLE_UNQNAME=XESTD
                              OS=Windows_NT
                              Path=C:\app\steve\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Micr
                              osoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\W
                              indows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0\bin;C:\Users\Publi
                              c\Documents\RAD Studio\9.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0
                              \bin64;C:\Users\Public\Documents\RAD Studio\9.0\Bpl\Win64;C:\Program Files (x86)
                              \Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0\bin;C:\Users\steve\Documents\RAD Studio\9.0\Bpl;C:\P
                              rogram Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\9.0\bin64;C:\Users\steve\Documents\RAD
                              Studio\9.0\Bpl\Win64;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:
                              \Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologie
                              s\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Users\Public
                              \Documents\RAD Studio\9.0\Bpl;
                              PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
                              PCBRAND=Pavilion
                              PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
                              PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3, AuthenticAMD
                              PROCESSOR_LEVEL=16
                              PROCESSOR_REVISION=0503
                              ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
                              ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
                              ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
                              ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
                              PROMPT=$P$G
                              PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
                              PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
                              QTJAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
                              SESSIONNAME=Console
                              SystemDrive=C:
                              SystemRoot=C:\Windows
                              TEMP=C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp
                              TMP=C:\Windows\TEMP
                              USERDOMAIN=STEVE-LAPTOP
                              USERNAME=steve
                              USERPROFILE=C:\Users\steve
                              windir=C:\Windows

C:\Users\steve>emctl status dbconsole
                              OC4J Configuration issue. C:\app\steve\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2/oc4j/j2ee/OC4J_DB
                              Console_steve-Laptop_XESTD not found.

C:\Users\steve>
                              • 12. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                I do not see emca running to completion successfully in the logs you have posted.

>

>

Are these the actual values you passed to emca ?

HTH
                                Srini
                                • 13. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                                  I did not pass any parameters to emca other than what I typed - was this:

It did not give any other messages from what I posted, so it did not say anything like success or failure - it simply returned to the C> prompt.
                                  • 14. Re: cannot start dbconsole in Oracle Personal 11g
                                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                    869793 wrote:
                                    I did not pass any parameters to emca other than what I typed - was this:

It did not give any other messages from what I posted, so it did not say anything like success or failure - it simply returned to the C> prompt.
                                    Pl re-read the command "sb" posted and try again

HTH
                                    Srini
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next