This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 9:04 AM by Michael Armstrong-Smith RSS

Must not use Java 1.7 when using E-Business Suite

Michael Armstrong-Smith Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated
This notification is being posted at the request of Oracle Corporation

All E-Business Suite desktop administrators must disable the JRE Auto-Update for their end users immediately to stop it updating to Java 1.7.

URGENT BULLETIN: Disable JRE Auto-Update for All E-Business Suite End-Users.
The following link from my fellow blogger Steve Chan explains more: https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/bulletin_disable_jre_auto_update

To disable automatic updates, you do this in the Java Control Panel using this workflow:
1. From the Windows Start button launch Control Panel
2. Double-click on the Java icon
3. On the Update tab, uncheck the box that says Check for updates automatically.
4. Click the OK button to complete

So why is this required?If you have Auto-Update enabled, your JRE 1.6 version will be updated to JRE 7. This may happen as early as July 3, 2012. This will definitely happen after Sept. 7, 2012, after the release of 1.6.0_35 (6u35).

Oracle Forms is not compatible with JRE 7 yet. JRE 7 has not been certified with Oracle E-Business Suite yet. Oracle E-Business Suite functionality based on Forms -- e.g. Financials -- will stop working if you upgrade to JRE 7.

If you have already upgraded to 1.7 but already have 1.6 you do not need to uninstall 1.7. You can just tell the system which one to use. You do this using this workflow:
1. From the Windows Start button launch Control Panel
2. Double-click on the Java icon
3. On ths Java tab, click the View button
4. Uncheck the Enabled box against 1.7 and check the box against 1.6
5. Click the OK button to complete

There is also a known issue with WebLogic 10.3.6 and JDK 1.7 and you must use JDK 1.6 for that. I will be posting on my blog shortly about this issue.

Seems to me therefore that until further notice, even for Discoverer, but definitely for E-Business Suite that you must stay on Java 1.6.
  • 1. Re: Must not use Java 1.7 when using E-Business Suite
    jh*110094*le Newbie
    Hey Michael,

I am concerned about mixed information being posted on the forum. I just last week read thread "Last Version of Discoverer", where Steve123 stated "
    In general, Oracle has always made product compatible for new platforms while the product is under Premier Support. They have recently made it available for Oracle Linux 6, Solaris 11, AIX 7.1, recently compatible with JDK / JRE 7 (with a patch). Based upon this information, we applied the patch to our test server and currently testing out the environment.

Now I am seeing your posting stating to stop the train and disable Java automatic updates because users will be forced to Java 7, "So why is this required?If you have Auto-Update enabled, your JRE 1.6 version will be updated to JRE 7. This may happen as early as July 3, 2012. This will definitely happen after Sept. 7, 2012, after the release of 1.6.0_35 (6u35)".

On the one hand it don't work and on the other it is being forced upon you. What is Oracle doing? Please tell me straight what emergency is coming and what action needs to be done. I had a hard time getting my people to apply the patch to test Java 7 and now I have to telll them to roll it back? I do not need help being the fool! I can do that all by myself.

Jerre
  • 2. Re: Must not use Java 1.7 when using E-Business Suite
    Hi Jerre
    I hear your concern and when I heard about the issues with E-Business Suite and Java 7 I was horrified. After all, we kind of got used to this when Sun and Oracle were separate but now that Oracle own both you would think these problems would have gone away.

I'm not an insider to the problems with E-Business Suite and I urge anyone that is using it to wait for Oracle's solution and /or follow the great blog owned by Steven Chan which is dedicated to EBS. I took another look a few minutes ago and the advice is still the same - to NOT upgrade to Java 7 if you have E-Business Suite you need to roll back to Java 6 and turn off the automatic updates.

As for Discoverer, I have 10g clients whose workstations were automatically upgraded to Java 7 and had their applications fail. I have always advised my clients to turn off automatic updating of Java and keep their client Java at the same level as the server. There were serious issues here in the past but those were when Sun and Oracle were separate. We had compatibility issues when servers were on Java 5 and workstations upgraded to Java 6 and it looks like we may be having the same problems between Java 6 and Java 7.

I tend to notice far fewer problems in corporate environments when IT departments manage the versions of Java on their servers and workstations rather than let it auto upgrade.

It was me who uncovered a bug in 11.1.1.6 where the Java 7 JDK was not working. Since then Oracle issued a Discoverer patch to allow it to work with Java 7 so for users of 11.1.1.6 you should be OK now to go ahead and allow Java to upgrade. Mind you, if the same workstations need to connect to Forms or E-Business Suite the advice given earlier to not upgrade stilll applies - that is unless someone knows otherwise.

Best wishes
    Michael
  • 3. Re: Must not use Java 1.7 when using E-Business Suite
    jh*110094*le Newbie
    Michael,

As I stated before we have patched our test server and now we are operational with both Java 6 and Java7 with Discoverer Plus. Our production server is not patched and we are operational with only Java 6. We are a non EBS environment, so that issue is removed from our scenario but we do have Oracle Forms and additional applications which are of a concern. I had to get our DBAs in a head lock to even patch our test server. Of course they are concerned about encouraging users to upgrade to Java 7, which will break the user connectivity to their applications. We are not announcing our test server patch to the user community at this time, in the hopes that users will stay with Java 6 but of course users will get themselves twisted around the axle and we handle those cases one at a time.

My major concern is that we will be forced to Java 7, per your announcement. The other major concern is the uncertainty of when it will occur. Please speak to your contacts to let them know that a clear path needs to be identified and clearly stated to their Oracle clients.

Thanks,

Jerre
  • 4. Re: Must not use Java 1.7 when using E-Business Suite
    jh*110094*le Newbie
    Java 7.6 will now launch Disoverer Plus.

This occurred this week. I had a SR open with Oracle Support about the patched version[allows Java 6 and 7 to launch], installed on our test server, causing long running queries. I needed to provide comparisons between our production and test servers, along with the impact of Java 6 versus Java 7. I had removed Java 7 previously and had to upgrade. The upgrade from the Java Control Panel upgraded to Java 7.6. I tested logging into our production server, which did not have the patch, and Plus launched. Plus did not launch until this particular Java 7.6 upgrade.

Does anyone know what made the change with this particular Java version? Anyone have the latest word from Oracle on the subject? Any known issues? We will have users that will upgrade, with or without their knowledge. I have the SR still open and I have asked the support personnel these questions this morning. I am looking for information fast, because we are in a very bad situation with the Oracle/Sun Java snafu. In addition, we have Java 6.31 installed on our application server, so the client/server versions are different. We are NOT E-Business Suite and we are Discoverer Plus Version 11.1.1.3.0

Thanks,

Jerre
  • 5. Re: Must not use Java 1.7 when using E-Business Suite
    Hi Jerre
    It is good to hear that Java 7.6 now works with Discoverer.

I hoped the whole Java thing would get simpler when Oracle bought Java. However, like you, I am puzzled. When Sun were independent they would push out Java changes and then Oracle would have to catch up. We were all used to staying on older versions until Oracle said it was OK to move forwards.

However, now that Oracle owns Java you would think they would not push out upgrades unless they were at least compatible with their own Java-based products. Not doing so makes life all that much more difficult for those of us out here on the receiving end.

I am still of the opinion that Discoverer users should disable the automatic Java updates and stay on a version that works until the all-clear is sounded. Bear in mind that this is my opinion and not Oracle policy. Doing this my own clients have fewer issues than those who do allow the updates to happen automatically.

Thanks for the posting my friend. I always look forward to interacting with you.

Michael

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points