This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 11:52 PM by AlexAnd RSS

Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS

rjvencken Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Problem:
How to build a XML Publisher (XMLP) report in eBS from scratch. Thus NOT adapting or converting an existing report.

Context:
I have an eBS R12 Vision instance up and running where I want to learn building XMLP reports.

This is what all tutorials I can find tell me to do:
Most reports apparently consist of a layout template e.g. TEST.rtf and a data template e.g. TEST.xml. Now in order to generate a new report layout I am supposed to take existing output in XML format and (using ‘Load Data’ function in Template Builder plugin in Word) specify in my layout template where and how I want the actual data to pop up. So far so good.

But now I want to build the data template from scratch and use it combined with a layout template. So I build the data template but can’t use that for building the layout template. For that I need output, for which I need a layout template.....
Sounds like Catch 22 to me. How do I break this?
1. Can I generate an XML-output file from the XML Data Template alone?
2. Can I build my (RTF) layout template directly based upon the XML Data Template?
3. Or have I completely lost the plot?

Oh yes, dunno the first thing about Java and do not have My Oracle Support..

Edited by: rjvencken on Jul 5, 2012 10:39 AM

Edited by: rjvencken on Jul 5, 2012 10:51 AM
  • 1. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Have you checked this link? -- http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/fmw/bi/xmlp_ebiz/index.html

You could also refer to:

Oracle XML Publisher User's Guide
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B25516_18/current/acrobat/115xdoug.zip

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    AlexAnd Guru
    >
    >
    create data definition with your data template-> create concurrent -> output as xml -> run -> view output and your xml

>
    2. Can I build my (RTF) layout template directly based upon the XML Data Template?
    >
    if you want to use xml publisher desktop then you need xml (with data, not definition)

btw you can create your layout (rtf) without xml (data) and without data template (xml with select statement)
    create filed and past tag definition

>
    bouble click on filed:
    "Text Form Field Options" -> "Add Help Text ..." -> "Status Bar" (tab) -> "Type your own:"

if you use bi publisher desktop plugin
    bouble click on filed:
    "BI Publisher Properties" -> "Advanced" -> "Code"

or switch to Word Properties
    "BI Publisher Properties" -> "Word Properties" and use above path
    >

>
    >
    may be ;)
  • 3. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    rjvencken Newbie
    Sorry but this does not answer my question. The essence is I'm building a NEW report. Both the OBE and User Guide just tell me how to convert/alter an existing report.
  • 4. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl see if this link can help - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/21526635/XML-Publisher-For-Dummies-%E2%80%93-A-Step-By-Step

HTH
    Srini
  • 5. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    rjvencken wrote:
    Sorry but this does not answer my question. The essence is I'm building a NEW report. Both the OBE and User Guide just tell me how to convert/alter an existing report.
    What about the admin/developer guide, have you reviewed it? -- http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B34956_01/current/acrobat/120xdoig.pdf

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    rjvencken Newbie
    Yes I have reviewed User Guide/Developer Guide/Admin Guide/OBE etc. etc. and they all keep telling me two (same) things
    1. How to build a new XML Data Template
    2. How to build a RTF layout template using data gotten from running the report
    Again I am trying to build a NEW report. The Catch 22 remark is the essence of my problem.
  • 7. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    rjvencken Newbie
    create data definition with your data template-> create concurrent -> output as xml -> run -> view output and your xml
    I thought the XDODTEXE engine would pick up the (Layout) Template through concurrent program definition CPD short name which in turn points to the Data Definition (and thus Data Template). So does your answer mean I can call straight from CPD to Data Definition? I tried registering my Data Template in the Template Tab but it will not take XML as a type.
    if you want to use xml publisher desktop then you need xml (with data, not definition)
    So that's not an option I understand. Weird cuz I'd expect this to be technically easier.
    btw you can create your layout (rtf) without xml (data) and without data template (xml with select statement)
    Yes but in that case I'd have an empty report. How would that help me?
    bouble click on filed:
    "Text Form Field Options" -> "Add Help Text ..." -> "Status Bar" (tab) -> "Type your own:"

if you use bi publisher desktop plugin
    bouble click on filed:
    "BI Publisher Properties" -> "Advanced" -> "Code"

or switch to Word Properties
    "BI Publisher Properties" -> "Word Properties" and use above path

may be ;)
  • 8. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    rjvencken Newbie
    From page 3 of your document I understand that to obtain the XML output I need to insert into the Template Builder, I need to build an executable myself to get the taged output?!?!?!?!?

Edited by: rjvencken on Jul 5, 2012 1:23 PM
  • 9. Re: Scratch 22: Creating XML Publisher report from scratch in eBS
    AlexAnd Guru
    on the basis of the above you must read (re-read) Hussein Sawwan's and Srini Chavali's links          

btw
    if you have template definition (definition and empty rtf template) and data definition (with data_definition.xml) and concurrent program definition(executable name - XDODTEXE, output - xml) then run your concurrent program and as result click view output -> your xml (data for report)

open empty rtf template -> load xml (data for report) -> forming your template with field or anything else -> update rtf layout in template definition

>

Yes but in that case I'd have an empty report. How would that help me?
    >
    may be you indicated wrong tags or groups or ....

>
    From page 3 of your document I understand that to obtain the XML output I need to insert into the Template Builder, I need to build an executable myself to get the taged output?!?!?!?!?
    >
    if you insert xml (data for report) into Template Builder (xml publisher desktop) then click preview -> you get report (rtf layout + xml(data for report))

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points