This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2013 10:15 AM by 997210 RSS

java.lang.NullPointerException

644504 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I get this every time I start sqldeveloper. It operates normal when I click the OK button in the pop-up window but it is annoying would like for it to stop. Anyone have any suggestions?

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.svn.SVNProfile.canActivate(SVNProfile.java:162)
     at oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.generic.GenericClient.fireCanActivate(GenericClient.java:1602)
     at oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.generic.GenericClient.canActivate(GenericClient.java:231)
     at oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.VCSManagerImpl$6.addinsLoaded(VCSManagerImpl.java:377)
     at oracle.ide.IdeCore.fireIdeEvent(IdeCore.java:872)
     at oracle.ide.IdeCore.access$100(IdeCore.java:137)
     at oracle.ide.IdeCore$3.run(IdeCore.java:844)
     at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
     at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
     at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
  • 1. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    -K- Guru
    That's the Subversion plugin - you can disable it in Preferences - Extensions - Versioning Support.

Hope that helps,
    K.
  • 2. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    667543 Newbie
    I have the same error, and after of disable the versioning extension everything works fine.

thanks.
  • 3. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    841040 Newbie
    Thanks guys, this annoying exeption doesn't disturb me anymore :-)
  • 4. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    48346 Newbie
    I get this error as well. But I want to have Subversion working from within SQL Developer. Any ides appreciated?
    Thanks
  • 5. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    user5431290 Newbie
    I just went through the same thing...and I too needed to use subversion...

I downloaded the jdk from oracle and used the 'no-jdk' 3.1 version of sql developer ( i also had a 2.x version of sql developer that worked fine with subversion )...at first no joy

got the oracle.jdevimpl.vcs.svn.SVNProfile.canActivate(SVNProfile.java:162) error...every time

When I compared the preferences.xml file from

C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Application Data\SQL Developer, I could see several directories reflecting the sql developer installations I had

In my 2.x installation ...

C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Application Data\SQL Developer\system2.1.1.64.45

I found the folder o.jdeveloper.subversion.11.1.1.2.36.55.30

In there...I found preferences.xml...

In my
    C:\Documents and Settings\<me>\Application Data\SQL Developer\system3.1.07.42 installation which at first did not work...

I found the
    o.jdeveloper.subversion.11.1.1.4.37.59.48 folder...which also contained a preferences.xml file...however it was radically shorter and different than the 2.x version...

Copying the 2.x version to the 3.1 installation folder ( o.jdeveloper.subversion.11.1.1.4.37.59.48 )...and restarting sql developer did the trick...my subversion plug in now appears...

I have an SR opened with oracle to find out why the file got mangled in the first place...

Thanks
  • 6. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    948465 Newbie
    Same problem, slightly different solution:

I had an empty preferences.xml file in both the 2.0 and 3.1 sql developer, so I tried to simply delete the preferences.xml in the o.jdeveloper.subversion.11.1.1.4.37.59.48 directory and bingo - no error message any more.

Hope this helps someone
    Best Regards
  • 7. Re: java.lang.NullPointerException
    997210 Newbie
    thanks a lot

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points