This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 2:50 AM by 881506 RSS

dbxtool and clearcase-plugin

948164 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi there,

our company is considering tu upgrade our development chain to Solaris Studio 12.2 (possibly 12.3).
In this context, we want to use dbxtool, e.g. to debug executables.
As our company uses clearcase as revision control system, we've tried to apply the available netbeanes plugin to dbxtool.
It seems to work properly in the Solaris Studio 12.2 IDE, but unfortunately we can't get it to work in dbxtool.
Is there a possibilty to use dbxtool in conjunction with netbeanes clearcase plugin?

Kind regards,
Christian
  • 1. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    IvanIgorovich Newbie
    How does it "not work"?

dbxtool was designed to be a trimmed down version of the IDE. As such it
    disables many modules so what's most likely is that some module that
    clearcase depends on has been disabled. The symptom in this case
    would be a message when you start dbx about dependencies not being
    satisfied. Depending on the dependencies there might be a way to
    fix this (alternatively the dependencies will create an unfulfillabel
    dependency cascade).

What functionality of the clearcase module do you need under dbxtool?
  • 2. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    948164 Newbie
    Thanks for your notes,
    IvanIgorovich wrote:
    How does it "not work"?
    It looks like as you've described it. I already have problems to install the plugin (plugin version 1.2.0.42) in dbxtool (Solaris Studio 12.2). My procedure is as follows: dbxtool --> tools --> plugins --> downloaded --> install).
    After doing this, I get the following messages:

Some plugins require plugin org.netbeans.modules.diff to be installed.
    The plugin org.netbeans.modules.diff is requested in implementation version 42.  The following plugin is affected:       Clearcase
    Some plugins require plugin org.netbeans.modules.refactoring.api to be installed.
    The plugin org.netbeans.modules.refactoring.api is requested in version 1.3.  The following plugin is affected:       Clearcase
    Some plugins require plugin org.netbeans.modules.versioning.util to be installed.
    The plugin org.netbeans.modules.versioning.util is requested in version 1.9.1.  The following plugin is affected:       Clearcase
    Some plugins require plugin org.netbeans.modules.versioning to be installed.
    The plugin org.netbeans.modules.versioning is requested in version 1.4.  The following plugin is affected:       Clearcase  Some plugins not installed to avoid potential installation problems.

I've tried to install the missing nbm-modules (Release 6.91) downloaded from the the website: [http://bits.netbeans.org/maven2/org/netbeans/modules/].
    As a result, a much more larger number of missing modules appeared and now I doubt if it is possible to use clearcase-plugin with this "trimmed downed version" dbxtool-IDE.
    IvanIgorovich wrote:
    What functionality of the clearcase module do you need under dbxtool?
    I hope that it is possible to use the same offered functionality as in the Studio IDE, e.g. Checkout, Checkin, VersionTree etc. by right-click on items in the favorites window or in the menu-toolbar (Team --> clearcase --> ...).

Regards,
    Christian
  • 3. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    IvanIgorovich Newbie
    945161 wrote:
    I've tried to install the missing nbm-modules (Release 6.91) downloaded from the the website: [http://bits.netbeans.org/maven2/org/netbeans/modules/].
    As a result, a much more larger number of missing modules appeared and now I doubt if it is possible to use clearcase-plugin with this "trimmed downed version" dbxtool-IDE.
    That's the dependency cascade I was talking about. I'm afraid there's no way out in thatdirection.

So, why not use the full IDE? You can use the plugin manager to trim it down yourself (barring dependency issues).

I recently took another approach, building an "hg-tool" (hg/mercurial is another source code mgmt system).
    This was to be a base NB IDE (the so-called platform) with only hg modules added. It sort of worked but I found
    out that the detailed diff'ing system is implemented in language-specific modules, so to get C++ and Makefile
    diffs I had to load the c++ editor and codemodel modules. Similarly for Java and so on.
    Note that assembling such a custom tool is best done through the IDE itself as opposed to hand-juggling
    modules.
  • 4. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    948164 Newbie
    IvanIgorovich wrote:
    So, why not use the full IDE?
    Yes, it's an alternative, but it's a little bit awkward to debug executables, resulting from our own tool-chain, in the studio 12 IDE (e.g. one needs to create a project etc.). It would have been nice to have a lightweight debug-tool (as it is dbxtool) with a clearcase connection.

So, is there nevertheless a possibility to debug executables without the need for a project in the studio IDE? I know that it's actually dbxtools' part...;-).

Many thanks for your support,
    Christian
  • 5. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    881506 Newbie
    IDE is all around projects, but you do not need to create full featured project with sources etc. to debug a binary.
    Try to:
    - add the folder with your binary to the IDE favorites view
    - right click on the binary and select Debug...
    IDE will create a project for it automatically (well you still need to specify arguments and run dir).
    Then you can debug/run and do whatever you want with it.
  • 6. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    948164 Newbie
    Thanks for your hints,

Egor wrote:
    IDE is all around projects, but you do not need to create full featured project with sources etc. to debug a binary.
    Try to:
    - add the folder with your binary to the IDE favorites view
    - right click on the binary and select Debug...
    I know this workaround and it's probably the best way to debug binaries in the studio IDE.
    There is one thing I wonder about:
    It does not matter whether I do a right click on the binary and select "Debug" or select "Run".
    In both cases, the new project goes in run. If I want to debug, I have to stop run first.
    After doing this, I can start debugging by clicking on "Debug Main Project".
    Unfortunately, there seems to be no option like "create project from binary but don't go in run".
    Am I right or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
    Christian
  • 7. Re: dbxtool and clearcase-plugin
    881506 Newbie
    It is a bug, it was fixed in 12.3

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points