1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 3:43 PM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??

Hi All,

I am a report developer. I have two servers(VMs)

Server1: Win 2008, Oracle EBS R12.1.1.
      Server2: Win XP SP3, about to install Oracle 11g R1

My goal is to copy the whole EBS R12.1.1 Vision Instance database (VIS) on Server1 to Server 2 Oracle Database....And please not that I need only data in those schemas - I use that to run ETL scripts, so, on Server2 I am not going to run any EBS Applications(Forms, or reports or others).

In order to do this I am thinking of using http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm, or RMAN method....

Now my questions are:
      1. Can I used any of the above methods?
      2. If yes, For both the above methods, during the installation of Target Database (Server 2) do I need to select "Create Starter Database (Additional 1482MB)" option? I am in a great disk space crisis so, I prefer not to select that option, but can I follow above clone methods with out creating a starter database in the target system?

Thanks and regards.
        • 1. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          My goal is to copy the whole EBS R12.1.1 Vision Instance database (VIS) on Server1 to Server 2 Oracle Database....And please not that I need only data in those schemas - I use that to run ETL scripts, so, on Server2 I am not going to run any EBS Applications(Forms, or reports or others).

In order to do this I am thinking of using http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm, or RMAN method....

Now my questions are:
          1. Can I used any of the above methods?
          Yes, but if you are not familiar with RMAN or backup/recovery methods this may not be easy (or straightforward) for you.
          2. If yes, For both the above methods, during the installation of Target Database (Server 2) do I need to select "Create Starter Database (Additional 1482MB)" option? I am in a great disk space crisis so, I prefer not to select that option, but can I follow above clone methods with out creating a starter database in the target system?
          Even if you do not create a new database, you will end up having the same database size after you copy the files or use RMAN (backup/restore). Your target database size on the target database will be exactly the same database size on the source database.

I would prefer you use one of the following methods instead of RMAN:

1) Rapid Clone (clone the database tier node only and this is the best option for you) -- Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone [ID 406982.1]

2) The method in the link referenced by you

3) Export/Impot (which is time consuming):

Export/import process for R12 using 11gR1 or 11gR2 [ID 741818.1]
          Export/Import Process for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 using 10gR2 [ID 454616.1]

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
            Hello Hussein,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have oracle support account, I am learning on my own.

First I will try to follow Rapid Clone method, and to learn about this i will do a google search as " Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone". If you have any links handy please share with me.

If this doesn't work for me I go to option 2 - the one I referenced in the link (http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm)

Thank you very much for you quick reply.
            • 3. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Thanks for the reply. I don't have oracle support account, I am learning on my own.

First I will try to follow Rapid Clone method, and to learn about this i will do a google search as " Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone". If you have any links handy please share with me.
              I cannot post the contents of the doc since this violates Oracle support agreement policy. However, you can many blogs which list the steps.

Here are few links:

http://www.reachdba.com/showthread.php?35-Clone-Oracle-Applications-11i-R12
              http://oraclelabspace.blogspot.ca/2012/01/r12-cloning-onto-new-servermachine.html
              http://dbashahid.blogspot.ca/2012/06/cloning-r12.html

Thanks,
              Hussein
              • 4. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                Thank you very much. Blog posts are good enough. The links really helps.
                • 5. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                  In order to do this I am following http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm method.

During the process I have encountered an issue - Server1 (VIS) database uses initVIS.ora file as parameter file, where as Server 2 uses SPFILE.ORA as parameter file.

in Step8 we have to copy the init.ora file from EBS R12 to Server2, but this doesn't help me as server2 use spfile.

please give me your suggestions to solve this gap......

Thanks!
                  • 6. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    in Step8 we have to copy the init.ora file from EBS R12 to Server2, but this doesn't help me as server2 use spfile.
                    Issue "create spfile from pfile" or "create pfile from spfile" from SQL*Plus.

Startup of an Oracle 9i, 10g, 11g Instance using SPFile or Init.ora Parameter File [ID 162491.1]
                    How to Migrate from a Pfile to an Spfile [ID 166601.1]
                    How to Modify the Content of an SPFILE Parameter File [ID 137483.1]
                    How to change static parameters through SPFILE parameter file [ID 146577.1]
                    Pfile vs SPfile [ID 249664.1]

Thanks,
                    Hussein
                    • 7. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                      Thanks for the replies -

I followed all the steps in the this link http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm. But when I run the sql file in Step9 I get below error.
                      SQL> @c:\ctrlvis.sql
                      ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 535662592 bytes
                      Fixed Size 1348508 bytes
                      Variable Size 192941156 bytes
                      Database Buffers 335544320 bytes
                      Redo Buffers 5828608 bytes
                      CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "VIS" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
                      ERROR at line 1:
                      ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
                      ORA-01504: database name 'VIS' does not match parameter db_name 'orcl'
                      Please give me ur suggestions to solve above error.

Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                        Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                        ORA-01504: database name 'VIS' does not match parameter db_name 'orcl'
                        Change the value of db_name in the init.ora file to VIS and check then.

Thanks,
                        Hussein
                        • 9. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                          I just identified that it is using the old spfileorcl.ora as the parameter file, even I copied the initVIS.ora, ifile from source(server1)........

so, i deleted the spfileorcl.ora, to force the db to use initVIS.ora, but it is giving an error "did not find initORCL.ora"

so now I am trying to startup the database using "startup pfile='initVIS.ora' " command.....and then i crate an pfile from memory, and a spfile from the pfile. And my hope is that the database uses the newly created SPFILEVIS.ora during the startup automatically.......Below is the output
                          SQL> startup pfile='C:\app\Pratap\product\11.1.0\db_1\database\initVIS.ora'
                          ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 1071333376 bytes
                          Fixed Size 1352100 bytes
                          Variable Size 427822684 bytes
                          Database Buffers 629145600 bytes
                          Redo Buffers 13012992 bytes
                          Database mounted.
                          ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 1 - see DBWR trace file
                          ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\VIS\DB\APPS_ST\DATA\SYSTEM01.DBF'
                          Will do google - let me know if you have any suggestions......
                          • 10. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                            Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                            ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 1 - see DBWR trace file
                            ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\ORACLE\VIS\DB\APPS_ST\DATA\SYSTEM01.DBF'

Will do google - let me know if you have any suggestions......
                            Since you have no MOS access, please google these two errors.

Thanks,
                            Hussein
                            • 11. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                              I duplecated the initVIS.ora file and renamed it as initORCL.ora and did run the create control file sql file - @ctrlvis.sql

it started with out any issue, and created new control file
                              SQL> @c:\ctrlvis.sql;
                              ORACLE instance started.

Fixed Size 1352100 bytes

Control file created.
                              now what should i do - next? I have a few concerns
                              1. it is using initORCL.ora not initVIS.ora
                              2. what about the new windows new OrcleserviceVIS? I am still running OracleserviceORCL.

Will try restarting the system and see how it goes........
                              • 12. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                now what should i do - next? I have a few concerns
                                1. it is using initORCL.ora not initVIS.ora
                                When you run the startup command, issue "pfile=<correct init.ora file name>".
                                2. what about the new windows new OrcleserviceVIS? I am still running OracleserviceORCL.
                                You have to create it manually.

Thanks,
                                Hussein
                                • 13. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                                  Ok i will do it as you said - mean while i did a restart of the windows system - logged into sql plus......

---- sql output ---
                                  Enter user-name: system
                                  Enter password:
                                  ERROR:
                                  ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
                                  Process ID: 0
                                  Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0

Enter user-name:

--- output ends ------

I loged in as sysdba and did a shutdown immediate, and startup next

---- sql output starts -------
                                  SQL> shutdown immediate
                                  ORA-01109: database not open

Database dismounted.
                                  ORACLE instance shut down.
                                  SQL> startup pfile='C:\app\Pratap\product\11.1.0\db_1\database\initVIS.ora'
                                  ORACLE instance started.

Fixed Size 1352100 bytes
                                  Database mounted.
                                  ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open
                                  ----- output ends -----

After googleing i did below commands
                                  --- sql output starts-----
                                  SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
                                  alter database open resetlogs
                                  ERROR at line 1:
                                  ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
                                  ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\APP\PRATAP\ORADATA\VIS\SYSTEM01.DBF'

---- output ends -----

any suggestions?
                                  • 14. Re: EBS R12.1.1 databse copy windows to windows??
                                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                    ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
                                    ORA-01110: data file 1: 'C:\APP\PRATAP\ORADATA\VIS\SYSTEM01.DBF'

---- output ends -----

any suggestions?
                                    Please shutdown your source database cleanly/properly before copying the data files -- https://forums.oracle.com/forums/search.jspa?threadID=&q=ORA-01110&objID=c3&dateRange=all&userID=&numResults=15&rankBy=10001

Thanks,
                                    Hussein
                                    1 2 Previous Next