13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2012 2:36 PM by Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle RSS

Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?

RichardSquires
      Why? This was one of the most popular requests. Seems like a fairly trivial request to add an additional view option - Tabbed or Tree.

I'm not asking for peoples view as to why/why not we should have this option, you can vote on it if you haven't already, but I would be interested to know why a popular request gets Rejected outright.
        • 1. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
          Marwim
          Hello Richard,

I don't know why it has been set to rejected, because there is a "tabbed option". When you right-click on a connection you can choose "Schema Browser".
          You get a new tab where you can change the user and you can select the object type.

Regards
          Marcus
          • 2. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
            RichardSquires
            I see that as more of a Drop Down interface rather than a Tabbed interface. I would still prefer a tabbed interface - one click instead of two.
            • 3. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
              Jeff Smith Sqldev Pm-Oracle
              Adding it to the Schema Browser may have been possible, but prioritizing that feature wasn't likely. Instead of letting it sit there, never getting assigned, canceling it seemed more appropriate.

Seeing a list of tabs that requires scrolling left or right to go from Tables to Recycle Bin is awkward UI to say the least. It works OK if you have 5 or 6 containers, but not 28+

Of course nothing's final, esp in the world of software.
              • 4. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                RichardSquires
                Not prioritising one of the Top 10 requested features seems a little odd.

I'm not sure if you've used TOAD (although your name seems familiar ;) ) but you can select which tabs you want displayed, whether you want to have them on a single line or multi line. I'm not sure if the 28+ containers is a comment on the UI or a technical issue that prevents you from achieving the result. You are right, no one wants 28+ tabs displayed which is why TOAD let's you select as many or as few as you want.

Rejected seems pretty final.
                • 5. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                  What specifically about the Drop Down interface is keeping you from being as productive as a Tabbed View would provide?

Do we really need 3 different ways to browse objects? That's 3 code branches to maintain.

By themselves, it's not much. But times three - it's a lot, especially as more and more schema level containers are introduced.

It does seem final, but there's no reason why we can't re-evaluate it later.
                  • 6. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                    RichardSquires
                    It's as simple as one click versus two. Doesn't seem like much but in terms of usability, not having to open a drop down and select from that list when I could just click between tabs is significant.

If you don't want to maintain 3 code branches then remove the Drop Down option - the request was for a "Tabbed interface (TOADs Schema Browser)" after all. :)

I would guess that what most people are requesting when they are voting for this option is for something that mimics what the TOAD Schema Browser does. Not just the tabbed interface, but also how it displays the tables and packages etc. Indeed, as the description of the request states:

"I really like the tabbed interface provided by TOAD to view objects in the database - I'm not a fan of the tree view. The tabs make it really easy to jump between objects you are interested in and you don't lose focus when you move between objects of different types. A right hand side view of the currently selected object would also be useful rather than having to open it."

So it's more than just a tabbed interface (or a drop down) but also how those things presented that makes up the request. The "right hand side view of the currently selected object" is particularly important in my view.
                    • 7. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                      It's as simple as one click versus two
                      Unless the tab you want is scrolled off the viewable area

But
                      you don't lose focus when you move between objects of different types.
                      This is already achievable today, and has nothing to do with Tree or Dropdown or Tab.

Tools > Preferences > Database > Object Viewer > 'Open Object on Single Click' --- DISABLE

Now as you click around the tree or in the Schema Browser you won't lose focus of your open object(s).

Does this address your point? If not, please let me know b/c I'm still confused what the Schema Browser doesn't give you what you're asking for.
                      • 8. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                        RichardSquires
                        Unless the tab you want is scrolled off the viewable area
                        Which isn't an issue if you have multi line tabs in which case you can always see them.
                        Tools > Preferences > Database > Object Viewer > 'Open Object on Single Click' --- DISABLE
                        I should have known there would be an option for it. :) That greatly improves the Schema Browser functionality. Context is less of an issue as well as your objects remain open once you've selected them.

Are you [http://www.thatjeffsmith.com/sql-developer|That Jeff Smith] ? I think I might need to play with my SQL Developer settings and see what other things I can do.

One final, unrelated question, is there a navigator panel for when I'm viewing a Package so that I can jump to functions/procedures within it? Couldn't find an option to enable it but would have thought it would be the default if one was available.
                        • 9. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                          Yes, that's me.

The procedure editor - expand the package. Then double-click on the proc/fun name - that will auto-navigate you to the location in the package. I just tested this, it works in both the spec and body.
                          • 10. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                            RichardSquires
                            I was using the Schema Browser, found my package, double clicked it to open the package spec and then had to click the Open Body button to view the package body. I was hoping for a navigator panel that would allow me to jump between the procedures as part of the editor window that is opened (unless it is/can be somehow linked to the Schema Browser).
                            • 11. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                              Sorry Richard, the pkg navigator is only available in the tree, not in the Schema Browser.
                              • 12. Re: Tabbed Interface has been Rejected?
                                Vadim Tropashko-Oracle
                                PL/SQL Editor context menu -> Quick Outline?